Feature Requests for Geist - Page 24 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Feature Requests for Geist

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

jeannot

Postby jeannot » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:46 pm

Hi

Is it me or there is no LFO for modulating stuff (pan, pitch, tune, etc) in Geist ?
I can modulate various parameters if i am using a pattern, but if i want to add some variations when Geist is played straight from the DAW, the only way so far seems to use layers with slightly different settings (unelss i'm missing something) ?
Sorry if i'm missing something obvious Embarassed
If not, please take it as a FR !
Laughing

Also, i wish the stereo widener could go further than 100% and be able to increase the stereo image (instead of just narrowing it).

I also wish there had an autopan FX (if there is no LFO for modulating pan in the pad settings).

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:06 pm

Any plans to allow Geist to read alias folders on the mac (not sure if shortcuts work on windows)? It would help immensely in sample management without having to move the samples who's locations are sensitive other applications.

Perfect example is Maschine. I like to use it's samples in Geist. But the organization only fits maschine structure. So I would create an alias folder and point to all snares from different expansion folders. This way geist sees one location for all my snares instead of having to click in and out of directories.

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Rory_FX wrote:
Kickflip wrote:I would also prefer an option for the slices to be allocated to pads according to where they are in the loop. This way the snares of a 4/4 beat would always appear on pads 5 and 13, making it easier and quicker to reedit grooves. Longer samples would mean you can change snares just by changing the Force Layer lane, as opposed to finding which pad and which layer the snare you want appears on.

The result is similar to slicing by 16th divisions, but more powerful and has the added bonus of transient detection.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your request, but this is pretty much what the Classify function does in the Slicer. It sorts all slices into Kicks, Snares, Hats and Percussion and lays them out on respective Pads groups (1-4 Kicks, 5-8 Snares, 9-12 Hats, 13-16 Perc). Now you can always find your snares (and if you have Use Layers enabled they'll be layered too).

Hi Rory, sorry on the delay, been caught up with a house move and still waiting for internet!

That's a fair point and the slice classification, but the 16th diagonal approach has other benefits. When working with 4/4 loops it's more logical to have pads 1-4 assigned to the first beat, 5-8 assigned to the second beat, 9-12 to the third, and 13-16 for the fourth. It's much more visually related to a 4/4 loop, and so doesn't benefit say conga loops, hat/tamb loops, or instrumentation.

For example, if you load in a top loop you like the sound of, and just want to use a snippet of it to add a subtle bit of extra frequency content to a beat, after slicing you could set the pattern end point so it only plays the first 4 16ths, then you can easily choose which section of the loop to use by drag-transposing the pattern. This isn't possible with either of the current modes.

I think this highlights the strength of Geist's openness - users will come up with unexpected ways of using it that may not have been considered during development!
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

Gribs

Postby Gribs » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:06 am

I found it posted here before, but it would be very nice if the GUI for Geist was made about 1.5 times larger.

I don't know if the widgets would all have to be remade - just scaling them might make them sort of fuzzy. Honestly I would redo them, which is probably an insanely huge job. The fuzzy widget thing happens with scaled DCAM GUIs - edges of knobs etc do not look sharp or in focus. It happens with other devs GUIs that are can be scaled, too (e.g. U-He ACE and Rob Papen Blade).

Geist does many things so well... adding too much and creating feature bloat would be bad, in my opinion.

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Gribs wrote:I found it posted here before, but it would be very nice if the GUI for Geist was made about 1.5 times larger.

I don't know if the widgets would all have to be remade - just scaling them might make them sort of fuzzy. Honestly I would redo them, which is probably an insanely huge job. The fuzzy widget thing happens with scaled DCAM GUIs - edges of knobs etc do not look sharp or in focus. It happens with other devs GUIs that are can be scaled, too (e.g. U-He ACE and Rob Papen Blade).

Geist does many things so well... adding too much and creating feature bloat would be bad, in my opinion.

Could do with a few extra requested features and tweaks though, it's all subjective to each individual user - some people may consider the resizable GUI to be feature bloat, others may not ;-)
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music

http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness

http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

Gribs

Postby Gribs » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:39 pm

Kickflip wrote:Could do with a few extra requested features and tweaks though, it's all subjective to each individual user - some people may consider the resizable GUI to be feature bloat, others may not ;-)

:D Good point.

I have no clue what percentage of computer users, and in particular Geist licenses, are running on HD (or better) resolution displays vs lower resolution. I also have no idea what percentage of Geist licensees would like a larger GUI.

I know how my own employer gathers "VOCs" for new products and also for "line extensions" (updated versions of existing products), but not how fxpansion does it other than read forums and emails. I once received and filled in a rather lengthy web-based survey from Native Instruments regarding Maschine (back even before version 1.5) features and can see how many of the items in the survey came out in later versions of the software. FWIW I personally prefer Geist and Tremor and haven't upgraded to Maschine 2.0 (sorry about the topic creep).

Fingerella

Postby Fingerella » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:54 pm

I am playing Geist realtime only so my requests go in this direction:

- Force layer control using midi cc
- sample start control using midi cc
- assignable modulators (lfo,envelopes..) to every parameter
- more aux sends (8 ) and be able to send from a send to another one
- different curves, not always linear, for midi mappings

FX: i think vst Support would be the key here but if thats impossible..

-pan inverter
-pan wider..to 200% for example
-delay: is it me por if you crank up the feedback the sound doesnt get sustained? More feedback? A retro del ay emu would be nice

Thanks

mdbeh

Postby mdbeh » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:14 pm

I'd love see a hybrid random/velocity-split mode for triggering samples. So for each velocity range, there'd be a subset of samples from which Geist would draw randomly.

It may be too fiddly/esoteric to be worth developing, but I know I'd use it. Oftentimes when I've sampled something from a record, I end up with a couple different groups of hits that are in roughly the same dynamic range. To be able to capture those dynamics w/o triggering the same hit every time at a particular velocity level would be very powerful.

(Standard disclaimer that this may already exist currently but I've missed it...)

Also, the current distortion effect is cool and useful, but it'd be nice to have a more subtle one, like tape/console sound, to go along with it.

Fingerella

Postby Fingerella » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:27 am

Yeah, i´d definitely use the random group samples triggered by velocity.

Internal busses for processing would be great too.

Fingerella

Postby Fingerella » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:57 pm

Another cool feature that i miss when playing live: define which range of MIDI cc will affect a certain parameter.

Imagine i want to control a delay´s feedback and a filter cutoff placed after the delay, all from a single knob on my controller. I´d like to increase the feedback immediately when i twist the knob, but i want the filter to kick in once i have enough feedback or sustain going on. So, lets say from 0-80 i dont want this CC to affect the cutoff, just from 80 to 127. I guess this correponds to an exponential mapping curve instead of linear?

Sure, this can be done with 2 knobs but then my other hand would need to stop fingerdrumming.

JOHN1030

Quick keys to enhance workflow

Postby JOHN1030 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:44 pm

As a computer programmer I have always felt it necessary to enable the user to operate the application with or without a mouse. I know this may not be possible with some features especially with the sampler. However it would be nice to have an alternative way to select the different mixers. For example alt+(button) selects the sampler and alt+(button) selects the engine mixer. This should be a simple feature to include and should require very little programming. Perhaps the simplest of feature request so far. I'm just one of those people who tries to avoid using the mouse as much as possible.

kneecapped

Geist feature.

Postby kneecapped » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:25 pm

Would love to modulate L.F.O to parameters,Also would love to use step modulation on long audio samples rather than just being used as a retrigger for short drum hits .The product is so close to being an all in one solution just a few tweaks and it could be a groundbreaker.I really hope they develop this,i love working with it…

Drew_BFDTeam

Re: Geist feature.

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:03 pm

kneecapped wrote:Would love to modulate L.F.O to parameters,Also would love to use step modulation on long audio samples rather than just being used as a retrigger for short drum hits .The product is so close to being an all in one solution just a few tweaks and it could be a groundbreaker.I really hope they develop this,i love working with it…

:D

sharke

Postby sharke » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:06 am

As a newcomer to this thread I apologize if I'm repeating things that have been said in the last 25+ pages of replies - if I am, then they probably bear repeating anyway....

1) I really think Geist could use a revamped delay effect, or at least more than one type of delay to choose from. I'd like to see various delay modes like stereo, LRC, straight ping pong etc. I often find it hard to dial in the stereo sound I want with the swing control. It would also be nice to have a filter and modulation built into the delay.

2) I'd also like to see a revamped EQ module. The Vari-EQ is great but it's a pain having to use multiple instances if, say, you need both LPF and HPF as well as a shelf and a couple of bells. I'm sure the geniuses at fxpansion could figure out a way of controlling multiple bands and filter types on the small interface.

3) More than 24 patterns would be very useful. How about 48?

4) I'd like to see way more than the number of audio outputs currently available. How about an output for every pad in every engine?

knobsmcgee

Postby knobsmcgee » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:28 am

-strength of quantize.
-allow the hosting of (at least) one VSTi, like mpc element. you could even make it only fxpansion instruments.
then i can use the Geist completely standalone and not have to fiddle with other programs

Return to “Geist”