Geist: A REAL Tragedy - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Geist: A REAL Tragedy

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, mullynofx, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

zaphodb

Geist: A REAL Tragedy

Postby zaphodb » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:12 pm

This whole "Geist" thing comes as a shock, it's such a raw deal for FXPansion customers!

I have invested a ton of time, and a significant amount of money, in GURU. Now, instead of upgrading GURU and fulfilling its promise, it's replaced by something else? Something "new"? WHY?

I think it's disgusting. It takes a lot of time, a lot of "uptake", to get familiar with something like GURU to the point where it can be a creative contribution to my music-making. A whole lot of experimenting, head-scratching, video-watching, manual-reading and just elbow grease to the point where a new software instrument contributes to instead of detracts from the creative process.

I'm not gonna play this time, and I'm taking my business elsewhere. I think it's appalling that something as great as GURU would be abandoned by FXPansion so early in its life. It speaks to the real priorities of FXPansion as a company - apparently you all are more interested in making money than in creating and refining great software instruments that enable electronic musicians to create music.

Funkybot

Re: Geist: A REAL Tragedy

Postby Funkybot » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:35 pm

First off, Fxpansion created Guru along with Devine Machine (who also own the name Guru from what Angus has said elsewhere), hence why there wasn't a Guru 2. It's not up to Fxpansion.

Now lets look at this in a rational way...what exactly are you mad about?

Does Geist open Guru presets? Yes (Guru original factory content needs to be resaved first, but any Guru 1.5 or later content opens directly in Geist).

Does Geist improve upon Guru in just about every way possible? Yes.

Is there an upgrade price from Guru to Geist? Yes.

Is Geist essentially Guru 2? One can certainly look at it at that way, but it's also a complete rewrite of the code.

If there had been a Guru 2, would there have been an upgrade price? You can bet their would have been, and if I had to speculate, I'd guess it would have been the same cost as the Guru to Geist upgrade. Any major upgrade is going to involve an upgrade fee. The developers need to eat too.

Does Geist include all new content that can be used along with the original Guru content? It sure does (you can even load Geist hits/loops in Guru if you were so inclined).

Would having Geist mean you couldn't use Guru anymore? No it would not.

Are there still a few things Guru could do, that Geist cannot? A few, and Fxpansion has already stated that they plan to address most (if not all) in future updates.

Did you, as a Guru customer, get screwed in any way? Nope. You still have Guru, and you can upgrade to Geist (at a reduced price) if you want to continue in that lineage.

If you're mad about the time it took you to learn Guru, then just demo Geist. A lot of what you're familiar with from Guru applies to Geist, only you'll find Giest is much more intuitive in it's use.
Pay no attention to this signature.

devasan

Re: Geist: A REAL Tragedy

Postby devasan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:16 am

Funkybot wrote:First off, Fxpansion created Guru along with Devine Machine (who also own the name Guru from what Angus has said elsewhere), hence why there wasn't a Guru 2. It's not up to Fxpansion.

Now lets look at this in a rational way...what exactly are you mad about?

Does Geist open Guru presets? Yes (Guru original factory content needs to be resaved first, but any Guru 1.5 or later content opens directly in Geist).

Does Geist improve upon Guru in just about every way possible? Yes.

Is there an upgrade price from Guru to Geist? Yes.

Is Geist essentially Guru 2? One can certainly look at it at that way, but it's also a complete rewrite of the code.

If there had been a Guru 2, would there have been an upgrade price? You can bet their would have been, and if I had to speculate, I'd guess it would have been the same cost as the Guru to Geist upgrade. Any major upgrade is going to involve an upgrade fee. The developers need to eat too.

Does Geist include all new content that can be used along with the original Guru content? It sure does (you can even load Geist hits/loops in Guru if you were so inclined).

Would having Geist mean you couldn't use Guru anymore? No it would not.

Are there still a few things Guru could do, that Geist cannot? A few, and Fxpansion has already stated that they plan to address most (if not all) in future updates.

Did you, as a Guru customer, get screwed in any way? Nope. You still have Guru, and you can upgrade to Geist (at a reduced price) if you want to continue in that lineage.

If you're mad about the time it took you to learn Guru, then just demo Geist. A lot of what you're familiar with from Guru applies to Geist, only you'll find Giest is much more intuitive in it's use.

Everything Funkybot said +1

In addition, if Geist were called Guru2, you would not complain... so basically, you are upset over the name ;)

soosh21

Postby soosh21 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:29 am

i agree with funkyboy completely.

I think disgusting is a very strong word and if you feel that way you are indeed obilivious to the many real disgusting things that happen in life. Fxpansion has brought a new product you dont like, big deal! I for one have come from Guru and upgraded and find it much more useable and with better features and quicker workflow. I stopped using Guru a while ago as i got maschine, but now find with Geist im using it so much now for most my drum work. My drums have a new lease of life due to this great software and i think the majority of early adopters like me would agree it is a good product.

It takes time to learn any software i dont see what your problem, its half the fun....the world moves on and so does music software. If your happy working in that cluttered guru GUI good luck......each to their own of coarse and no doubt Geist wont please everyone, but to vent as you have and accuse fxpansion of greed is pretty low.

Anyway......im not bothered if you like the product or not,or are dissapointed its just your tone was pretty harsh......fxpansion are a small company and treat their users a lot better than most. imo.

CALVIN01

Postby CALVIN01 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:30 pm

im not involved in this argument but ive been using geist for a few weeks and i'm finding myself constantly navigating through the pages and it seems if i dare say a bit too advanced.it seems as if fx have tried to get in with a solid standalone production system.for me i've got one of those and i liked how simple guru is.the adsr is poor the effects are nice but to balance a sound with adsr,filter and then get the effects sends and/or effects settings right is still a bit more of an effort than it was with guru and daw effects.im sticking with it but am not finding inspiration with it at the mo.(not due to no radomizer though as it was fun but not part of the way i worked.)

Robmobius

Postby Robmobius » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:41 am

I'm very happy with it anyway - Although, I've never had any other product by the FXPansion guys to be honest. However, I've used a lot of VST drum modules before, and I'm really digging Geist :). It's really inspired my music creativity and I love it's work flow (no I'm not on the payroll).

Also, remember that it's still early days, and it's only going to get better and better.

onervas

Postby onervas » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:31 pm

+1 agree with Funkbot as well. I liked Guru and I love Geist. There's nothing like it.

CALVIN01

Postby CALVIN01 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:49 pm

and you guys are finding you can work as quickly with it than you can with your d.a.w?.im finding things tedious in comparison. :cry:

Robmobius

Postby Robmobius » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:56 pm

No hassles for me anyway, I'm loving it's work flow.

Funkybot

Postby Funkybot » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:18 am

CALVIN01 wrote:and you guys are finding you can work as quickly with it than you can with your d.a.w?.im finding things tedious in comparison. :cry:

Loving it here.
Pay no attention to this signature.

devasan

Postby devasan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:51 am

CALVIN01 wrote:and you guys are finding you can work as quickly with it than you can with your d.a.w?.im finding things tedious in comparison. :cry:

What things are you doing that are tedious?

I find the workflow in Geist excellent. I have never found sampling synth sounds and building kits to be fun until Geist.

CALVIN01

Postby CALVIN01 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:48 am

bouncing around the pages to do eq'ing,filtering,adsr and then effects per sound whilst trying to balance it all.geist is fun i know but are you guys making sonically good mixdowns with it as quickly as you can with your d.a.w.i use geist as a vst for mainly drums and rarely use it standalone.at the moment i can get better results more quickly using drum racks or impulse in ableton.i liked how quick and simple in design guru was.i know geist is more than capable of this which is why im sticking with it.

the weird thing is i bought it after demoing it.

tell me im wrong and give me a few pointers guys

devasan

Postby devasan » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:50 am

CALVIN01 wrote:bouncing around the pages to do eq'ing,filtering,adsr and then effects per sound whilst trying to balance it all.geist is fun i know but are you guys making sonically good mixdowns with it as quickly as you can with your d.a.w.i use geist as a vst for mainly drums and rarely use it standalone.at the moment i can get better results more quickly using drum racks or impulse in ableton.i liked how quick and simple in design guru was.i know geist is more than capable of this which is why im sticking with it.

the weird thing is i bought it after demoing it.

tell me im wrong and give me a few pointers guys

I do not like the ADSR... it should be big and right on the waveform and not that dinky thing up top.

I also would like an option on the padmixer page to display the waveform of the selected pad with the adsr on top of it (instead of the mixer)... I agree it is not so efficient to switch between 2 pages to adjust both effects and adsr... especially with no key command to switch

CALVIN01

Postby CALVIN01 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:45 pm

thanx for the reply pal.my problem with the adsr is that it seems to not do anything until you get it to a certain point and then within millimeters it drastically changes shape which is unbelevably hard to accurately layer sounds imo.there are shortcut keys that im learning but again i have to check if the effects are on layers,engine,global or all of them.i normally do layers on seperate pads so i've never used the pad layer function.maybe im missing out because of it.i'll give it a bash. :)

maybe fx can do a video of putting together a sonically good 4 bar layered loop?. :wink:

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:15 pm

There *are* some tweaks to the ADSR planned. For now you can hold down shift to move the points in a finer resolution.

Return to “Geist”