Forum

FXpansion Forum

Geist Quick Tip Videos - check back every Friday for a new video!

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_fx, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

jontah

Postby jontah » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:11 pm

What I would really love to see a tutorial about is sampling within Geist in a proper and good way.

Since the sampler and resampling engine within Geist is simply amazing. You can resample itself, it's so easy and quick.

But what I really lack in geist when working with Geist as a sampler is the snap to grid (like Ableton live 8 uses), where you can get a perfect loop going. Geist's sampler is abit too precise now. Which is really good. But I still would like to get a separate button to press so I can have the markers to snap to a grid (let's say 1/16), so it's really easy to work with it as a sampler (I'm using Geist for resampling, looping, sampling all kinds of stuff, basically everything goes into Geist. It's my #1 main-to-go sampler).

What I REALLY think is stupid that it's not available in Geist, is a BIGGER screen mode. ESPECIALLY in the Standalone version. It would be pure awsomeness to get a bigger screen when working with samples, to get those exact points and really to see what's going on. The layer/pads sampler window simply is too small now. Eventhough you can zoom in on it. It really helps increasing your workflow if you have the snap to grid and the bigger window options. So you can start to fool around, instantly!

Keep those tutorials coming, loving them, but need some more indepth for using Geist as a sampler, which I do all the time (I actually barely don't use it as a sequencer atm, but I will start to! imagine how Geist would be if it was super-easy to work with samples within it, it's a really dedicated sampler AND sequencer and all the other stuff all-in-one package). Which it is now! but needs some improvements on the sampler side, if I'm not missing anything out here. It really helps alot to get a perfect loop going and knowing how many bars it's looping for instead of time or beats.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 am

jontah - What is it exactly you struggle with in the sampler? I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's "too precise".

There's no plans to include Ableton style warping at present. Geist is primarily a slicing sampler. If you want to quantise a drum loop for example, the Geist way is to slice it and quantise the resulting pattern.

We're aware that people want to resize our plugins and we're working on that. It's already rolling out (with a few minor problems) in the latest DCAM Synth Squad betas and will no doubt be included in other products in the future.

erikubels

Thanks Rory

Postby erikubels » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:39 am

That is great news about resizing. Also the tutorial video's are excellent!
I am also a Maschine user but for some reason I find Geist much more fun and inspirational to use than Maschine, due to mostly the workflow and user interface.

blondtron

Dragging MIDI from Geist to Logic MIDI region

Postby blondtron » Tue May 08, 2012 11:04 am

Hi there,

Can someone please explain to me how to drag a MIDI loop or RX2 file to the MIDI region in Logic? I can't figure it out and I'm sure it's really simple but I'm pulling my hair out. Thanks!

Kosmonaut

Postby Kosmonaut » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:23 am

Rory_FX wrote:
We're aware that people want to resize our plugins and we're working on that. It's already rolling out (with a few minor problems) in the latest DCAM Synth Squad betas and will no doubt be included in other products in the future.

Great news. That is the only thing stopping me from getting Geist at this time. Looking forward to it :wink:

robertdavis

Postby robertdavis » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi There,

Thanks for all the tutorials and tips - Geist Rules!
RE- the slicing tutorial- my only problem with the way you show of tweaking start points is that surely this will subtly change the groove of the loop as the trigger points for the slices don't alter accordingly when you change the start times. Would be great if you could add this to future updates...
thanks!

bizz

Time singertur

Postby bizz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:39 am

hey there i just got geist and was wondering on how you would get geist to count in 6/8 or 5/4 instead of 4/4.? some one pleas help

sharke

Re: Time singertur

Postby sharke » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:22 am

bizz wrote:hey there i just got geist and was wondering on how you would get geist to count in 6/8 or 5/4 instead of 4/4.? some one pleas help

If you read the manual it says that they don't recommend using Geist's pattern and song features with anything other than 4/4 time. If you want to compose with other time signatures then you're better off programming the drums as MIDI in your DAW. Just output the MIDI to Geist's pads and you can still take advantage of its sound shaping features.

taifun

Postby taifun » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:35 am

[/quote]If you read the manual it says that they don't recommend using Geist's pattern and song features with anything other than 4/4 time. If you want to compose with other time signatures then you're better off programming the drums as MIDI in your DAW. Just output the MIDI to Geist's pads and you can still take advantage of its sound shaping features.[/quote]

Really?!? How about different meters within a 4/4 pattern to create polyrhythmic sequences? I was on the verge of buying Geist because I was convinced it could do this... So, to drive the point home, here is my question: is it possible to have e.g. a 5/8 hi-hat sequence looping over a 4/4 beat?

sharke

Postby sharke » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:14 pm

taifun wrote:Really?!? How about different meters within a 4/4 pattern to create polyrhythmic sequences? I was on the verge of buying Geist because I was convinced it could do this... So, to drive the point home, here is my question: is it possible to have e.g. a 5/8 hi-hat sequence looping over a 4/4 beat?

Yes I believe you can do that. It's actually a lot more versatile than I made out with that statement, which I was just repeating from the manual. You can set the pattern lengths to anything you like, for instance you could create pattern lengths of 5 eighth notes and then trigger those patterns from your DAW however you like. However Geist does not adapt its display to different time signatures, i.e. the step sequencer's light and dark shading to indicate beat divisions. Geist's song arranger is also geared toward 4/4 time, I often just prefer to trigger the patterns via MIDI from my DAW though, it's a lot more versatile.

In addition, each engine has a speed multiplier whereby you can set its speed as a division or multiplication of the host tempo. So for instance you could set one engine to be 3/2 the speed of the others, or another one to be 2/3 the speed of the others. There's lots of potential for polyrhythmic weirdness, although I believe they should make Geist more user friendly for odd meters, and I hope they do in an update.

If you're creative you can do anything you like in Geist. I'm currently working on a tune that's in 6/8 in my DAW but I'm creating odd polyrhythms by working with 4/4 patterns in Geist. Best thing to do would be to download a demo and see the possibilities for yourself.

Return to “Geist”