Using Geist and Midi Controller - Page 2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Using Geist and Midi Controller

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_fx, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:43 am

What do you mean? PM me if you like
I'll start working on the second video today.

daddi

Postby daddi » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:23 pm

i don't think that depends on tfp programming... but i noticed that if i clic on the geist pad, the respective row of the sequencer becomes highlighted, that is a light yellow row.

This does not happen when sending midi notes on channel 16 through tfp, am i right?

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi, I just re-read your post and see what you mean now. It should work like that but remember the Geist note mappings on page 10 in the manual are C1 - D#2 and for focus control you either set the output channel in the tfp prefs to ch16 or assign the pads individually.

Btw I got a Launch Control the other day. This little thing is now my engine switcher...well pleased!
Check this out:
I deleted this video as it's too much like and advert for the Trigger Finger.
Last edited by FluxMachina on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drew_fx

Postby Drew_fx » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:54 pm

That's a cool little setup you've got there FluxMachina!

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks Drew. It's simple but fun. Been out of action for years and it's good to have something to ease the transition and be creative again.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:02 am

daddi wrote:i don't think that depends on tfp programming... but i noticed that if i clic on the geist pad, the respective row of the sequencer becomes highlighted, that is a light yellow row.

This does not happen when sending midi notes on channel 16 through tfp, am i right?

A bit late with this one but it's only just clicked, haha.
Try the keyboard icon next to the eraser "Pad selction follows MIDI notes". You've probably long since figured it out though. 8)
How's it coming along?

I've been mucking about with Geist within Bitwig and it's not bad at all! Sorry to delete the other videos but I don't like it when companies game their customers. Maybe I'll do one for use within the big B some time.

daddi

Postby daddi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:30 am

i'm sorry for the videos deletion, you did a so nice job, expacially the second one...
anyway, seems "pad selection follows MIDI notes" is the correct answear... thanks a lot for replying to a so stupid question :)
what did you use before bitwig?

Postby 501 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:43 am

Hi,

Does anyone know how to setup bi-directional midi control with Geist?

I'm using Maschine to control Geist and I'd love for all the parameters to have feedback on the hardware upon selecting them on the software.

Ie. when I select a new pad the focus volume fader would update on the hardware as well.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:55 pm

daddi wrote:i'm sorry for the videos deletion, you did a so nice job, expacially the second one...
anyway, seems "pad selection follows MIDI notes" is the correct answear... thanks a lot for replying to a so stupid question :)
what did you use before bitwig?

Thanks for that. It wasn't a stupid question. 8)
I got to use Live for a while but have only ever done serious work with Reaper. Ideally I'd like to drop Windows and work on Linux only, so owning Bitwig and Reaper (which runs in Wine ok) is a step towards that. What did you use before?

501 wrote:Hi,
Does anyone know how to setup bi-directional midi control with Geist?

Hi
That sounds like a good idea. Perhaps controllers like push will encourage developers to implement that sort of thing more.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi,
I re-uploaded these old videos in case anyone finds them useful.

Geist with a Midi Pad Controller Pt.1
https://youtu.be/yqhY2a1r5aA

Geist with a Midi Pad Controller Pt.2
https://youtu.be/KH9Sddd-qYc

My music making mojo has long since faded away and is something that probably won't ever fully return. :(
If that mojo ever returns Geist will be waiting. Thanks for developing this great bit of software.

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:58 am

Hi

If anyone uses Bitwig in here I found the device mapping feature to be really powerful for Geist in combination with Push (or similar) and the host mappings. There are just about enough slots to map all the essentials.
It's definitely worth checking out.

Forum post here:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p6261498
Attachments
Screenshot (7).png
Screenshot (7).png (76.55 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
GeistPanelMappings.zip
Here's the file containing:
- Geist bindings file
- Bitwig preset
- Bitwig file for the device panel mappings (not sure if this works on another system yet)
(7.64 KiB) Downloaded 22 times

Return to “Geist”