Is Tremor as dope as Geist? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Is Tremor as dope as Geist?

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, mullynofx, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

djadonis206

Is Tremor as dope as Geist?

Postby djadonis206 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:28 am

Holy sh*t, Geist is the bomb. Is Tremor as cool?

robopuma

Postby robopuma » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:36 pm

Have you tried it? I found the sounds a bit too brittle for my taste. I know you can tweak it & make your own sounds & can't judge just by the presets of course. I tried that pretty extensively for a week with the demo making sounds from scratch as well. But there was something about the architecture that gave it too much of a hard metallic edge for my taste which I always found myself working to get away from. Tremor is probably perfectly suited for someone like Trent Reznor. I really like that kind of stuff, but it's just not my personal style when I go to make music.

I prefer Geist much over Tremor. And I also like Microtonic better than Tremor when it comes to drum synths. The synthesis engine seems amazing but it just took too much work to get close to the kind of sound l wanted to hear when I could get those sounds in 1/10th of the time by using another plugin. There are warmer, juicier sounds lurking in there but it takes a lot longer to find them.

But that's a small thing, the main reasons I didn't buy it are the extreme CPU usage & inability to drag/drop, save or export/import patterns. I can see a lot of time went into it, from a technical standpoint it seems fantastic what they packed in, but it's just not for me.

I'm a big fan of Geist, the workflow is quick & intuitive. It's badly in need of an update since last summer, I have a list of at least 5 things I'm waiting to be fixed. I've been checking the Geist download section once/day for months! But those things aren't deal breakers & there's nothing else that quite has the mojo of Geist so I'm trying to be patient.

vespesian

Postby vespesian » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:48 pm

Tremor is pretty amazing, you just gotta get past the presets, which, as already mentioned, can be kinda grating; its so easy to use, however, that presets aren't really that important - in fact, I can't think of any s.synth thingee where presets less needed. It's much more direct than Geist, and the control you have over whatever sound you're making is waaay cool. Works great alongside Geist. I love it.

robopuma

Postby robopuma » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:41 pm

That's cool, everyone has something different that works for them. For me, it's easier to design kinds of sounds I want from Microtonic so I take the path of least resistance, someone else it might be Tremor.

I don't think it would be fair or accurate to say you can make any of the same sounds from any synth if you start from scratch, so you can get any sound you want just by avoiding the presets. Even when designing your own sounds, each synth has a subtle character of it's own. They don't all have the same parameters to tweak, same envelope, same filters, same effects, same sound generators/oscillators etc.

Tremor sounds more digital, transient, rough & edgy to me, even when creating sounds from scratch. Nothing wrong with that! Sometimes you want those kind of sounds. Tremor seems like in hardware would be along the lines of a Machinedrum or Waldorf Rack Attack where the hardware version of Microtonic leaning more towards a TR-808, Jomox, or Vermona...

One thing I noticed about Tremor that I remember from demoing it is the stacked, filtered noise modules. It sounded distinctly different to me than the noise generators on most other synths compared without effects. It's a very thick, focused, dominating type of noise aimed at creating certain type of sharp & crunchy modern drum sounds. I think it would be very difficult to get some of those modern noise sounds using another drum synth. This to me is one of the things that contributes to it's character which has nothing to do with toggling through the presets.

djadonis206

Postby djadonis206 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:24 am

I downloaded the demo. It's cool. But until I can get into it, it's hard to justify the $150. No drag and drop midi clips/regions, that's hard to believe. Maybe in a future update?

Geist is pretty awesome, love it.

Return to “Geist”