Dedicated Hardware - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Dedicated Hardware

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

jblongz

Dedicated Hardware

Postby jblongz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:11 pm

First I'd like to reiterate that Guest is the BEST program in it's class. As of version 1.1.1.2, it has most of the software features I would ask for.

Has anyone at the office considered a hardware controller? Nothing crazy like Maschine(yet), but just to trigger pads, a few knobs for automation, and a note repeat button. I currently use Maschine for Geist, but I have to use Maschine's software with complex routing to get the pad sensitivity and smooth roll as it works significantly different from using in 'generic' midi mode.

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:59 pm

I think Ableton Push fits nicely in here.

schmidi

Postby schmidi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:58 pm

I hear you. I've been really getting into Geist lately too (Ableton has gotten more and more crashes with each version I'm afraid).

I've been researching controllers for Geist also, and will probably buy an MPD32 at some point. There is no perfect all in one out there but the 32 comes close.

Push really depends on how well Akai maps it. I love my APC40 for Ableton, but it is a beyotch to map to any other program with many of the buttons not corresponding to a proper note or CC.

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:50 pm

The key feature of PUSH for me is the note repeat and touch fader for expression. It will work fine with Geist. I have some custom presets, including Geist mapped into Ableton's DrumRack. Also the 64 pads offer a new way to approach Geist. With 16 pads for the engine you have left over pads to trigger patterns and scenes from one single location. I rarely have a crash in Live 9, but thats probably because I use Vienna Ensemble Pro to host all my plugins.

Crone1

Postby Crone1 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:09 pm

jblongz wrote:The key feature of PUSH for me is the note repeat and touch fader for expression. It will work fine with Geist. I have some custom presets, including Geist mapped into Ableton's DrumRack. Also the 64 pads offer a new way to approach Geist. With 16 pads for the engine you have left over pads to trigger patterns and scenes from one single location. I rarely have a crash in Live 9, but thats probably because I use Vienna Ensemble Pro to host all my plugins.

How were you able to map the Push to Geist in Live?? Mine is completely unresponsive to any kind of mapping in user mode in Live, and I can only get engine 1 to play on the pads in the standalone.

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am

I will post a preset later whenits back to the studio. If you want to dig in now, here are the steps in a nutshell:

1) Create a blank Drum Rack

2) Insert Geist as a new chain on first pad (bottom left of chosen 16 pad grid). I also gave each cell its own output channel.

3) Insert 15 External Instrument chains. Route them to the appropriate input and output notes, as well as midi channel. I also gave each slow it's own audio return. You may also have to reroute the in/out notes that each pad triggers from the expanded chain menu. That's the hardest part because you have to verify each note/pad.

4) Save the device so you won't have to do it again.

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:36 pm

And Here It Is. You can add more chains with the proper midi channels for the other engines. This preset is configured to trigger the first engine and the patterns. Use the touch strip to scoll down to the pattern section. With this config, you can record and even step sequence the pattern changes!
Attachments
GeistDrumRack.adg.zip
Gest for Ableton Push
(21.33 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

Crone1

Postby Crone1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:54 pm

Fantastic, I'll play with it, maybe try and map everything. This is really great, THANKS!

f.friction

Postby f.friction » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:14 am

jblongz wrote:And Here It Is. You can add more chains with the proper midi channels for the other engines. This preset is configured to trigger the first engine and the patterns. Use the touch strip to scoll down to the pattern section. With this config, you can record and even step sequence the pattern changes!

What program do you load this preset for. I am having problem with loading the preset.

f.friction

Dedicated Hardware

Postby f.friction » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Can you explain to me how to get the Push to respond to pattern changing. I have set the other drum pads and controls to respond to Push but cannot figure out the patterns.

jblongz

Re: Dedicated Hardware

Postby jblongz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:41 pm

f.friction wrote:Can you explain to me how to get the Push to respond to pattern changing. I have set the other drum pads and controls to respond to Push but cannot figure out the patterns.

The pattern octaves are to the left of the pad octaves. So start going left from the key that triggers the first pad.

f.friction

Dedicated Hardware

Postby f.friction » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:12 pm

To the left of the Push pads or Geist pads on GUI? Confused because their are no pads left of Drum pads on the Push.

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:25 pm

f.friction wrote:To the left of the Push pads or Geist pads on GUI? Confused because their are no pads left of Drum pads on the Push.

No on your controller.

Jwiering

Postby Jwiering » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:55 am

Hello!

I've been using your drumrack preset now for Geist+Push. Wonderful! Working really well and a very good base to get experimenting with and customizing. Really took away some questionmarks I had.

The only thing I can't find out is: is it possible to use the mute pad function at the drumrack and also muting that specific pad in Geist? Whenever I do this it just turns of all of Geist (i.e. slot1) or it does nothing (i.e. slot2-16). It is of course logical that is does this in this template, but is there a way to make it possible to mute pads from Push the same way it does when just using the drumrack?

Thanks a lot in advance and again thanks for the work you put in and sharing it :D

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:38 pm

Hey, rare chance I end up here and see your recent post. Glad you liked the template. I haven't used it in a while. I think I remember mapping the drum pads and pattern selectors for engine 1. So that's 32 pads. On the Push 1, you have to use the slider to switch change the "octave" of the pad layout. If I remember correctly, the pad mutes/solos can also be trigger by another octave, but I didn't map those. So in the DrumRack template, you'll can add the midi chain for the next 16 pads. If I get some time this weekend, I'll revisit the template.

I have been frustrated with drum machine implementations lately. Geist was almost there, but it seems FxPansion does not ask for insight from professional users...or those professional users don't know how to communicate the necessary "little things". My most satisfying drum programmer lately has been maschine studio, which is great until you want to use it with the daw. Thats a story for another forum.

I need 2 Million dollars to build the proper drum plugin. Maybe I'll start a crowd-sourced campaign :lol:

Return to “Geist”