Controller roundup AKA controllers you have tried with Geist - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Controller roundup AKA controllers you have tried with Geist

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

schmidi

Controller roundup AKA controllers you have tried with Geist

Postby schmidi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:09 pm

Figured it may be good for us to share what midi controllers we have used with Geist and share the pros and cons. So I've tried a handful over the years (and definitely put Guitar Center's return policy to work for me!)

Akai MPK mini: I honestly think this is THE budget controller for Geist. If you only had enough $ to run 1 controller, this can accomplish a lot. 8 GOOD pads (easily switch to 2nd set of 8 with ONE button press) and 25 keys below just asking to be used for Patterns or scenes! CONS keys are not the most sensitive and I found it to be either full velocity or too quiet no matter the pressure I played them with.

Akai MPD18: A simple looking 16 pad box. However, it has a few functions that REALLY play nice with Geist. With one button hold you can instantly switch to any of 16 midi channels by pressing a pad. That gives you all 8 engines, and 8 more pattern/scene banks of 16 pads each! You also can program in 16 different pad bank "programs" (note number/value). And there is an A/B/C bank per 16 pads, meaning A is engine pads, B is 16 patterns, and C is 16 scenes! CONS: I could not get the unit's Note Repeat function to work, nor map that button to Geist (same for about half the other buttons. They just don't map). Pad sensitivity is not great either. It takes a pretty forceful hit to reach 127 velocity.

Akai APC40: Shame on you Akai for making the APC40 with such a nice all in one layout, then making it nearly impossible to map outside of Ableton. Sliders and device control knobs easily map, but that's about it. It may be possible with a third party script to get more out of it, but I've found that these introduce additional latency and even some crackles and pops.

M-Audio Oxygen 8: The original mini controller. Many are still out there and dirt cheap used. You have to do a bit of install trickery to get it running in Win7 64bit but it does work.

Akai LPD8: NICE pads for the price. The pads get better as you play them more. Also has 8 knobs and a CC mode which I map engines 1-8 to. CONS it takes THREE button presses to switch to the next set of 8 pads = fine for studio, but not great live.

Anyone else?
Last edited by schmidi on Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imperialshalom

Postby imperialshalom » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:07 pm

I have been having problems with the mpd18. I am using a MacBook Pro with a direct usb connection. My geist software is reading my controller in playback mode but when I use sample trigger mode....nothing.

knobsmcgee

Postby knobsmcgee » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:59 am

zoom r8. Geist "sees" midi commands, but i have been unsuccessful mapping them to controls i want.

to be fair, i havent spent much time on it as my padkontrol is more than good enough

ahonoe

Postby ahonoe » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:43 pm

I've been working to combine Livid Instruments' Cntrl:r and Keith McMillen's QuNeo.

So far I've found Cntrl:r works well for Pattern and Scene selection and its 8 columns of knobs and faders work nicely as Engine controls (faders control Engine volume and the 3 knobs as Engine fx sends.) Unfortunately the Cntrl:r's 4 x 4 button matrix are neither pressure, nor velocity sensitive and so don't make good pad controls. This is what I'm using the QuNeo for.

Next is to figure out an efficient mapping scheme for the QuNeo's various sliders and rotary controls. I want to be able to target the same sound modification parameter in the currently selected Engine (e.g. fx send) similar to triggering Patterns in the current scene using MIDI ch 9.

Has anyone else tried a Livid device with Geist?

Regards,

Scott

mw247

Midi Pads

Postby mw247 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:53 pm

Anyone using the M-Audio Trigger Finger Akai MPD16 or Akai MPD32?

dimlemona

Postby dimlemona » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Yes I use a Mpd32. Works fine for me, you can download a mapping here in your geist download area... 8) I only changed the rec button into retrorecord.

knobsmcgee

Postby knobsmcgee » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:59 am

Got my SP606 and Geist talking. Beautiful, other than the hard-wired midi note assignments not lining up.

mw247

Postby mw247 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:55 pm

knobsmcgee wrote:Got my SP606 and Geist talking. Beautiful, other than the hard-wired midi note assignments not lining up.

I have an SP-606 also but have never used it as a midi controller. But I do remember reading in the manual that you can change the pad midi output notes. Check it out here...

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/141901 ... =79#manual

Let me know if you succeed. I might try using it as a controller then!

mw247

Korg Nanopad 2

Postby mw247 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:04 am

Just got a Korg Nanopad2. Had some trouble installing the device properly but found a solution on the Korg forum. Thought I would post it here as it was something I never came across...

(from Korg Support):

You're running into the Windows 10 MIDI device limit. This is widely described at length in various forums and websites (I believe this forum as well!). This is exacerbated by the fact that Windows installs different devices for each USB port. In other words, a padKONTROL connected to 3 different USB ports would be recognized as 3 unique devices installed on your computer. Consequently, if you have an audio interface with MIDI connectivity and any other MIDI based devices, you can hit the 10 device limit pretty quickly.

You can either edit your Windows Registry manually (which there are instructions widely available for) to remove duplicate entries or you can use the "Korg MIDI Driver Uninstall Utility" or"Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device" in your Start menu to remove duplicate MIDI entries. Be sure to click "Option" and uncheck "Delete Korg MIDI Device Only". This will allow you to uninstall redundant entries for any third-party devices other than Korg that you may have installed on your computer. To be clear, this is not a problem with the Korg driver but rather a limitation built into the Windows OS.

Got it up and running with Geist. Seems like Korg's middle C was different so I had to set the pads starting at C2 then up instead of at C1.

knobsmcgee

Postby knobsmcgee » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:12 pm

mw247 wrote:I have an SP-606 also but have never used it as a midi controller. But I do remember reading in the manual that you can change the pad midi output notes. Check it out here...

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/141901 ... =79#manual

Let me know if you succeed. I might try using it as a controller then!

I believe the midi notes are fixed per page 78. If im mistaken, please let me know. I've developed somewhat of a workaround, so its not a dealbreaker.
If youre using windows 7/8, roland discontinued driver support for the 606 so it wouldnt cannibalize the 555.
Go here for a user modded driver http://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14235
It works very handsomely with Geist. You get the three knobs, d-beam, two switches, and the pads.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Return to “Geist”