Resampling Loops - What's The Best Way? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Resampling Loops - What's The Best Way?

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

muleskinner

Resampling Loops - What's The Best Way?

Postby muleskinner » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Hi,

I am trying to get geist to resample itself and (so far) am unable to find a decent way of doing this. I know it's probably me!

What I ideally want is for geist to sample a loop of a specified length as soon as I hit 'play' on the Geist transport.

Strangely there is no trigger type for Geist itself so I was setting the trigger type to 'threshold' and the record settings to record a length of two bars.

Press arm and record, hit play on the Geist transport, what appears to be a two bar length is recorded. Success?

Where the problem comes is when I try and slice this loop, there appears to be some kind of weird timing inaccuracy. I open the slicer, set it to 'divisions', 64 slices, set the correct tempo (all seems to be OK) but when I extract 'audio+pattern) the pattern seems to miss steps. It imported a pattern of around 80 steps, leaving gaps between some of them.

If I manually shifted the note events to get rid of the gaps and shortened the pattern I had a 64 step pattern which played fine but obviously this was a PITA.

Is there a better process for doing this?

cheers

ps As I side question it doesn't seem to be possible to extract two sliced loops onto the same kit (even if there are plenty of layers free). Is this correct?

schmidi

Postby schmidi » Sat May 04, 2013 8:51 pm

I find its easiest to just have Geist playing the loop I want to sample, set the sampler to "immediate" mode, and hit arm (which trigger recording immediately). Then I crop the loop to my desired size. I've never had the issue you are talking about, but I've never sampled a longer loop with the fixed bar recording set either. You may have discovered a bug?

Good luck,

Schmidi

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Wed May 08, 2013 10:19 am

If you want precise loop lengths, try sampling in Host and Looped modes. Set the number of bars & beats you require, then Arm and press play in Geist (or in your host if you are using as a plugin). The sampler won't start sampling until Play begins and will sample for the duration specified. That should be exactly what you're after I think.

Return to “Geist”