Forum

FXpansion Forum

WHY? No Preset Name Either!!!!!

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, Moderators

jbrown3

WHY? No Preset Name Either!!!!!

Postby jbrown3 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:15 pm

It's Freakin horrible enough that Geist fails to show the name of a kit loaded in the interface. But how in the hell am I supposed to incorporate Geist into projects, when the Freaking Preset name isn't even listed?!!! Heaven forbid I have 2 or 3 instances of Geist, all with different preset (aka songs) loaded. I'm just supposed to fly blind and know where all of my kits and engine info, etc is loaded from.

I won't even get started on the lack of kit name showing. I asked for this eons ago, and apparently it's not going to happen. I bet you DCAM or BFD products get what they want!!!!!

Finally, when trying to convert over Guru .gru songs to Geist, it's just a bust!! Nothing really ports over. I guess this was expected. But to top it off, the intelligent find/relocate tool in Geist is just shy of fitting the bill. While it's cool that it will tell you what samples it can't find when loading a Guru .gru (basically all of them), it would have been nice to at least show the path of where Geist was looking for the sample, as opposed to just the name. Look at the Samplelord product for the best example. --> When I moved my samples to a new machine and loaded Samplelord, it will list the sample and former path of where a pads sample was expected to be found. This way, I at least have an idea of where I need to look. If you have a billion subdirectories across 3 directories, how is "bassKick1.wav" (with no path guess) supposed to help me narrow down? Just point to the top of your sample directory and walk away for 15 minutes? Lol.

Anyhow, I've waited years for Guru (abandoned) then Geist to mature with just basic bread and butter items. LIKE PRESET or KIT NAME LISTINGS of what's loaded on the freakin interface!!!!! Flame me, I don't care!!! I deserve it!! But I need to vent, because no one else cares!!!! :evil:

jbrown3

Postby jbrown3 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Apologies. The tone was rude and not called for. Plus I know it's sure way not to get what I asked for. Geist is a decent product, Fxpansion. Just was getting frustrated.

These days I am more so focusing on an efficient workflow and reproducability (mispelled). I want to move across Guru, Geist, and Maschine and DAWs in the most beneficial way as to not stifle my creativity.

I got a new PC system built. Although I had to convert over a lot of DAW projects (e.g. Sonar 8.5 to Sonar X1, X2, etc). 95% of my conversion time was spent trying to manually search and find all of the samples that a GURU .gru or .kit was looking for. At potentially 16 pads x 8 layers x 8 engines for one .gru, this was gruesome. It took me over 6 months to convert all of my projects that contained GURU over to work properly again.

So I bought Geist a few years ago and sat on it, thinking that I would install it and replace GURU once my requested features and bugs were worked out. Meanwhile, when I saw this wasn't happening, I moved and invested in Maschine and BPM. I bought Maschine for the browser, sample tagging, and VST support, and heavy development support path. I bought BPM just to rip the samples into Maschine and perhaps Geist.

Fast forward, I finally installed Geist last night and started investigating moving GURU based projects over to Geist. While auto search is available in Geist, I still had no idea where to start looking for samples due to no expected path estimates being shown. So I took this for granted and then just decided to try and least load some .gru songs (letting Geist search my whole PC for samples). I walked away and came back an hour later, only to play the loaded song and hear it not play properly. Most of the engines samples were not playing. And for samples that were chromatically assigned to pads in certain former GURU engines, they would not play at all in Geist. I loaded several other GURU songs and proved the same. --> So I came to the conclusion that eliminating GURU was no longer an option since I literally had 100's of tracks that used GURU as my main drum/sample backbone. -->

Then after I loaded Geist presets (equivalent to Guru songs), and had no indication of what was loaded (no name listed anywhere in the GUI), this turned me off a little more. After spending months just trying to get GURU songs to work on a new PC, I was not going to go through this again with Geist. Hence the unnecessary outburst.

In a perfect world, if I could mash together Maschine's browser, and sample tagging, vst support, with Geist's graph and sample FX editing, I would. Although I may potential still use Geist on a limited basis. I am going to investigate how I should build my future kits and songs.

1) Build up kits, either natively in Maschine, then export tracks to Geist only in cases where I need to use graph manipulation on tracks, while running Geist as a plugin in Maschine.

Or

2) Continue to use GURU for its kit name and song name listing functionality to build/load kits --> and then re-sample the "Best of" my library into Maschine for goto GURU favorites. I've already also spent about a month converting all of my DR-008 kits over to Battery since this product was phased out. It had a good run too.

Too bad Maschine's kits aren't in XML like GURU's were, because I could've easily written Python scripts to generate a rudimentary GURU Kit --> Maschine Kit converter and been done.

Anyhow, Geist is a great product nevertheless. Just tired of revamping my studio everytime a producted phases out, etc. I am now reluctant to make Geist my drum sequencing backbone like GURU. So now I am evolving to invest in more longevity- based solutions so that I can get back to production and away for system adminstration. Word to the wise, never put all of your eggs into one basket as I did.

jbrown3

Postby jbrown3 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:03 am

Here's my 6 month bump! :roll:

ARNK

Postby ARNK » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:01 pm

jbrown3 wrote:Here's my 6 month bump! :roll:

No doubt Geist needs some work - a major overhaul. Version 2 needs to blast 'em out.

kafka

Postby kafka » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:19 am

Yeah, some identification info would make it a lot easier to work with.

jblongz

Postby jblongz » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:20 pm

Identification is key! Often I open an old session and the kit is awesome. I want to use it in another track. Now I have to save it again under another name because I don't remember what the previous kit was. I could end up with duplicate kits...not very efficient. I see some improvements made in BFD3 that can be adopted in Geist.

jbrown3

Postby jbrown3 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:21 am

jblongz wrote:Identification is key! Often I open an old session and the kit is awesome. I want to use it in another track. Now I have to save it again under another name because I don't remember what the previous kit was. I could end up with duplicate kits...not very efficient. I see some improvements made in BFD3 that can be adopted in Geist.

:shock:

alligatorlizard

Postby alligatorlizard » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:46 pm

I just logged in to ask this question - only been using Geist a few days and I'm already confused about what kits I've got loaded up. Is there really no way to find out what kit is loaded to each engine?

Or does anyone know of any trick to figure out the name of a kit - eg something in the pads that could identify it if you search in the search engine?

mdbeh

Postby mdbeh » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:54 am

alligatorlizard wrote:Or does anyone know of any trick to figure out the name of a kit - eg something in the pads that could identify it if you search in the search engine?

If you go to the pad/layers tab, you can see the name of the source audio file(s) for the pads. It's dependent on a well-chosen file name, of course, so you could still be out of luck. I mostly make my own kits, so if, for example, it's something from a record, I'll give it a name like [artist]_[song]_[instrument].wav

jbrown3

Re:

Postby jbrown3 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:48 am

jblongz wrote:Identification is key! Often I open an old session and the kit is awesome. I want to use it in another track. Now I have to save it again under another name because I don't remember what the previous kit was. I could end up with duplicate kits...not very efficient. I see some improvements made in BFD3 that can be adopted in Geist.

Bump. Geist 2 inclusion? What's up?!!

Return to “Geist”