Geist 2? Will it ever happen.. - Page 4 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Geist 2? Will it ever happen..

Support for Geist

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

sharke

Postby sharke » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:49 am

Very excited to hear about the reality of Geist 2. I use Geist every day and could not live without it, but there are some things I struggle with all the time.

While we're on the subject of new features, there is one thing I would like to ask for which is super simple but which would save me SO much trouble: the ability to insert/remove bars from the song timeline. You know the drill - you add 16 bars to the start of your song in the DAW, but then you also have to manually shift all of your patterns along by the same amount in Geist. Or you remove some bars and again have to adjust Geist's song timeline. It's a real chore. I realize we're probably never going to reach the stage where Geist is automatically updating along with the DAW's timeline, but allowing us to make these song adjustments with a couple of clicks would be AWESOME!

masterjoe

Postby masterjoe » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:30 pm

...and now in theatres: "The Silence of the Ghosts" :lol:
HW:
Core i7-3930K 3.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, RME AIO, GeForce GTX 970, Axiom 61, Oxygen 49, Korg padKontrol
SW:
Win10 Pro x64, Studio One Pro, Bitwig Studio, BFD 3.x, Geist 1.x + Geist 2.x, zillions of other VST plugins

knobsmcgee

Postby knobsmcgee » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:35 pm

but can it sidechain, tho?

dennisf

Postby dennisf » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:42 pm

seige313 wrote:
Paul_fx wrote:LOL @ Guru being warmer than Geist. Guru and Geist sound engine are very similar. Main difference is that Geist added a much higher quality audio interpolation. Geist 2 has a modelled emulation of a famous old 12 bit sampler tho, if you want grime ;-)

Theres something about the way Guru sounded. Nothing wrong with the "higher quality audio interpolation" but coming from Analog and trying to achieve that in the digital realm Guru had that grit that worked. Which is why I said it was warmer. I'm glad you confirmed you guys adjusted the engine, I knew my ears wasn't lying to me. Again can't wait for this 2!! I've got a lot of opportunities and placements with Geist!!!!

Angus, Paul and Drew....you guys are heroes....and now that i've gotten that out of the way...lol

I've been trying to figure this out for EONS until....by necessity I had to use maschine and found it way too brittle sounding. I bought Etch...I approximately matched the sound of the filter in Guru using a snare and then inserting etch into a track with maschine and the same snare and viola!!! I was astonished. I had figured out why geist sounds so different. Paul states it's the interpolation...and hey who am i to doubt the creators?...but this wasn't the only issue as to why we always thought Guru sounds better......Guru always had it's LPF filter ON from the onset of a sample being put unto the pad. This is why it's always sounded warmer. So lower audio interpolation + killer LPF emulation being on from the go = guru. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING THIS BACK IN GEIST 2!!!!!!!!!! I've made the best records of my life with Guru! It's crashing all my bridged DAWs but at this point I really dont care..because it still trumps EVERYTHING in sound...and for me THIS is the mark of a quality product. AT THE LEAST GIVE US A GURU MODE with the same filters. DON'T change it...don't try to make it better...do nothing. LMFAO!!

At this point i'm ready to hand over publishing checks to get a version like this!!!!

btw: I own em all...and to this day....it's still Guru...btw2: PLEASE tell me the notes disappearing when I'm hitting the pads to do fills is fixed....man...that's such a drag....guru never did this...it never cut off the current pad playing sample when i did 1/32nd note rolls on the pad.

With Respect and admiration

Dennis Ferrer
www.Objektivity.com

seige313

Postby seige313 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:19 am

dennisf wrote:
seige313 wrote:
Paul_fx wrote:LOL @ Guru being warmer than Geist. Guru and Geist sound engine are very similar. Main difference is that Geist added a much higher quality audio interpolation. Geist 2 has a modelled emulation of a famous old 12 bit sampler tho, if you want grime ;-)

Theres something about the way Guru sounded. Nothing wrong with the "higher quality audio interpolation" but coming from Analog and trying to achieve that in the digital realm Guru had that grit that worked. Which is why I said it was warmer. I'm glad you confirmed you guys adjusted the engine, I knew my ears wasn't lying to me. Again can't wait for this 2!! I've got a lot of opportunities and placements with Geist!!!!

Angus, Paul and Drew....you guys are heroes....and now that i've gotten that out of the way...lol

I've been trying to figure this out for EONS until....by necessity I had to use maschine and found it way too brittle sounding. I bought Etch...I approximately matched the sound of the filter in Guru using a snare and then inserting etch into a track with maschine and the same snare and viola!!! I was astonished. I had figured out why geist sounds so different. Paul states it's the interpolation...and hey who am i to doubt the creators?...but this wasn't the only issue as to why we always thought Guru sounds better......Guru always had it's LPF filter ON from the onset of a sample being put unto the pad. This is why it's always sounded warmer. So lower audio interpolation + killer LPF emulation being on from the go = guru. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING THIS BACK IN GEIST 2!!!!!!!!!! I've made the best records of my life with Guru! It's crashing all my bridged DAWs but at this point I really dont care..because it still trumps EVERYTHING in sound...and for me THIS is the mark of a quality product. AT THE LEAST GIVE US A GURU MODE with the same filters. DON'T change it...don't try to make it better...do nothing. LMFAO!!

At this point i'm ready to hand over publishing checks to get a version like this!!!!

btw: I own em all...and to this day....it's still Guru...btw2: PLEASE tell me the notes disappearing when I'm hitting the pads to do fills is fixed....man...that's such a drag....guru never did this...it never cut off the current pad playing sample when i did 1/32nd note rolls on the pad.

With Respect and admiration

Dennis Ferrer
www.Objektivity.com

I am so glad Im not the only one who heard the difference. I made SO MANY BANGERS with Guru. The way it sounded was impeccable. I knew I wasn't tripping. Thank you Dennis Ferrer.

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 pm

masterjoe wrote:...and now in theatres: "The Silence of the Ghosts" :lol:

We've got some really nice stuff we're working on right now. ;)

knobsmcgee wrote:but can it sidechain, tho?

Sidechain??? Ew. Gross!

Paul_fx
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby Paul_fx » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:18 am

One for all you Guru lovers...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 10.17.01.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 10.17.01.png (37.53 KiB) Viewed 4644 times

stoutlyric

Postby stoutlyric » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:17 am

Yes, the Guru Filter!!!

seige313

Postby seige313 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:13 am

Paul_fx wrote:One for all you Guru lovers...

Cmoooon Pauly no shore!!! Thats what Im talking about!!!!! now um *ehm* release date?? maybe?? lol... cause right now Drum Racks is getting all my attention.. Y'all gotta change that.. #Pronto lol

SeePlusPlus

Postby SeePlusPlus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:09 pm

I always wondered. Is the "Japan filter" modeled after Akai MPC filters?

iiuuii

Postby iiuuii » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:51 am

please consider bringing in a new UI consultant for Geist 2. It really deserves a fresh critical perspective on that front. I don't just mean cosmetic flourishes, I mean the structural interface design.
Very glad to see a new version is coming.

SeePlusPlus

Postby SeePlusPlus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:08 am

iiuuii wrote:please consider bringing in a new UI consultant for Geist 2. It really deserves a fresh critical perspective on that front. I don't just mean cosmetic flourishes, I mean the structural interface design.

+1

That's sort of what my mockup image was directed at. There must be better use of display than huge grids of rectangles displaying. The workflow aspect needs streamlining. The mpc workflow could be first approximation, even better if it could be approved upon.

iiuuii

Postby iiuuii » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:10 pm

rootberg wrote:That's sort of what my mockup image was directed at. There must be better use of display than huge grids of rectangles displaying. The workflow aspect needs streamlining. The mpc workflow could be first approximation, even better if it could be approved upon.

The best interface layout for pad samplers so far has been Motu BPM, with pad mute, solo and faders on alongside each pad, and with a streamlined pad edit panel, and a single mixer panel (layer mixing is folded into pad edit).
Battery's multi tab pad edit window is a really well implimented edit interface.

Geist's biggest defficiency is UI sadly, personally ive tried migrating to atlernative instruments several times over it. But the feature set is unmatched.

SeePlusPlus

Postby SeePlusPlus » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Interesting points. I've tried battery and thought it had some nice innovative features. I liked the ability to use simple midi effects on the hits, to get rolls, midi delay etc. But it was a long time ago I used it.

I've also been looking at alternatives. The akai mpds seem to be expensive pads, although the new flagship mpd got a built in sequencer it only allows use with one 32 step sequence (!?!?). I've heard many problem stories with the MPC Studio software. The Ren is too big and expensive for me.

Maschine seems to be the best hardware/software integration just from what I've read on the internet. But haven't had a chance to test it. The Maschine Mikro might be something for me. Have you had any experience with this? DO you use Geist with a controller? Currently I use my E-Mu Xboard (61) or my Korg microKey (25).

Things I like about Geist: Powerful layering. Workable step sequencer (but cumbersome system for shifting timing). Good filters. Song mode actually works well when you learn to think in terms of Engines and patterns. It seems to get along pretty well with Reaper which is my DAW of choice.

seige313

Postby seige313 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:15 am

iiuuii wrote:please consider bringing in a new UI consultant for Geist 2. It really deserves a fresh critical perspective on that front. I don't just mean cosmetic flourishes, I mean the structural interface design.

I actually like the new GUI for Geist. Motu BPM GUI sucked. I actually hated that plugin with all of my soul lol. I was HIGHLY disappointed with BPM. But when Im not in Live and I use Logic Geist is the best on the market. I think the best looking GUI is Battery 4. But Im actually excited to see Geist 2 in action.

Return to “Geist”