sounds great, hungry for CPU - Page 2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

sounds great, hungry for CPU

Support forum for Tremor

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

Ashe35

Postby Ashe35 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:11 am

15-19% CPU usage on my system for Pattern 1 of Month of Ham.... Tremor standalone, Intel Core2Quad Q8300, WinXP SP3 using ASIO4all and on-board audio. I'll look at it on my core i7 laptop once i get it set back up.

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Ashe35 wrote:15-19% CPU usage on my system for Pattern 1 of Month of Ham.... Tremor standalone, Intel Core2Quad Q8300, WinXP SP3 using ASIO4all and on-board audio. I'll look at it on my core i7 laptop once i get it set back up.

Just to re-iterate, we do not support Windows XP.

Ashe35

Postby Ashe35 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 pm

Drew_fx wrote:
Ashe35 wrote:15-19% CPU usage on my system for Pattern 1 of Month of Ham.... Tremor standalone, Intel Core2Quad Q8300, WinXP SP3 using ASIO4all and on-board audio. I'll look at it on my core i7 laptop once i get it set back up.

Yup, I understand that. My meaning was, that CPU usage isn't actually that bad, its comparable with other circuit-modeled VSTs I have.

Decapitated Giraffe

Postby Decapitated Giraffe » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 am

Drew_fx wrote:

Ouch... Sadly, XP is the OS all others are compared against for good or bad... and still pretty common in the IT world(though M$ no longer supports). Besides, I would much prefer to spend my money on FXspansion plugins then upgrading OS, wouldn't you? I dread the hours of BFD2, D-Cam, and DAW reconfig i'm going to have to do when i'm forced to upgrade.... Not to mention the cost of a new mobo and CPU. In fact, that's what drove my decision to pick up D-Cam vs, NI Komplete- It's only available on Win 7+.

This CPU issue has me debating as well. I will say that as is i can make tremor work reasonably well(tested in 32-bit xp, single core), BUT as a steadfast 64-bit XP user i am feeling much less confident now.

Thanks for the demo though... i wrote a rather nice song with it!

otalgia99

Postby otalgia99 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:45 pm

is anyone using tremor along with live8 on macbook air? i'm thinking about getting MBA (i7 seems to be the way to go) and would be very interested to hear people's experiences with this kind of configuration. i'm planning on using this for live performances, a scenario where freezing tracks might be a bit inconvenient for spur of the moment use.

from what i'm seeing here it seems like there's a chance that running tremor & live might be asking too much of that system's resources. i can see the wallop tremor puts on my 8-core pro (which is why i'm asking)... but oh... the sounds!
\many thanks!
o99

phyro

Postby phyro » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:04 am

Using a MBP i7x4 core 8g Ram and I can tell you Tremor, when It works with out skipping is great.. but the CPU requirements are nasty.. IDK whats causing it, (is it programed in high level language?) When theres a lot going on and its rendering new things to the mix, its kind of nasty.

I still sue BFD quite a bit, the "synth" drum has it's appeal tho, I cant honestly say I would trust it live tho.. but its ok for the studio or tracking.

otalgia99

Postby otalgia99 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:32 pm

phyro wrote:Using a MBP i7x4 core 8g Ram and I can tell you Tremor, when It works with out skipping is great.. but the CPU requirements are nasty.. IDK whats causing it, (is it programed in high level language?) When theres a lot going on and its rendering new things to the mix, its kind of nasty.

I still sue BFD quite a bit, the "synth" drum has it's appeal tho, I cant honestly say I would trust it live tho.. but its ok for the studio or tracking.

thanks, phyro!
as the FXpansion folks have already pointed out, using tremor is kinda like running 8 dcam synths at once. just that alone makes sense that tremor would be something of a monster.

what you're describing about tremor performance on a loaded MBP makes me think that an MBA probably won't cut it.

all the best,
o99

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:47 am

Decapitated Giraffe wrote:
Drew_fx wrote:

Ouch... Sadly, XP is the OS all others are compared against for good or bad... and still pretty common in the IT world(though M$ no longer supports). Besides, I would much prefer to spend my money on FXspansion plugins then upgrading OS, wouldn't you? I dread the hours of BFD2, D-Cam, and DAW reconfig i'm going to have to do when i'm forced to upgrade.... Not to mention the cost of a new mobo and CPU. In fact, that's what drove my decision to pick up D-Cam vs, NI Komplete- It's only available on Win 7+.

This CPU issue has me debating as well. I will say that as is i can make tremor work reasonably well(tested in 32-bit xp, single core), BUT as a steadfast 64-bit XP user i am feeling much less confident now.

Thanks for the demo though... i wrote a rather nice song with it!

There are not a massive amount of people in the music world still using XP, much less XP-64bit. We had to make a call, as we don't have the resources to fully test on all OS's. Some of them have to go - Vista 64bit is also not supported. This doesn't necessarily mean that they wont work, but it does mean we don't test on them.

dubcotics

Postby dubcotics » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Ashe35 wrote:
15-19% CPU usage on my system for Pattern 1 of Month of Ham.... Tremor standalone, Intel Core2Quad Q8300, WinXP SP3 using ASIO4all and on-board audio. I'll look at it on my core i7 laptop once i get it set back up.

Tho it works on win xp, but if the man says they ain t supporting it, better listen ..

Return to “Tremor”