ludwig hammered snare damping artifacts/'digital noise tail' heard in comp1 channel - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

ludwig hammered snare damping artifacts/'digital noise tail' heard in comp1 channel

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

rak

ludwig hammered snare damping artifacts/'digital noise tail' heard in comp1 channel

Postby rak » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi,

I'd better ask this.

I noticed that the Ludwig hammered snare gave me some audible 'digital grain/distortion tail' when dampening and using some amb Ratio around 50-80%. See screenshot.
It must have to do with the comp 1 channel (with no effects inserted). It is there that it is audible.

fyi: 1) I also felt that soloing the Ludwig snare and playing it very softly sounded a bit unnatural compared to the other snares.
Is this Observation right?
2) I think I also had some digital noise when previewing a tama snare in the BFD browser.

Thanks for either confirming one of my observations or letting me know if it actually is a piloterror
regards,Rak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:48 pm

Any chance of getting a small sound example?

rak

Postby rak » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:48 pm

Drew_fx wrote:Any chance of getting a small sound example?

ok... ludwig snare and kick distort here in comp 1 channel... toms don't.

regards,rak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rak

Postby rak » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Drew_fx wrote:Any chance of getting a small sound example?

ok... ludwig snare and kick distort here in comp 1 channel... toms don't.

regards,rak

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:02 pm

Okay.. not pilot error at all. But I cannot reproduce it. I *think* I remember seeing something during the beta like this, where ambient channels were being incorrectly configured. But nobody could reproduce it. If I load the kick and snare here, I don't get this issue.

Could you save out that preset and attach here as well?

bashmentality

Postby bashmentality » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm experiencing this issue as well. Here's a preset:
The four most important plug-ins for music production:
VSTtalent v6.7
VSTexperience v2.5
VSTknowlege v8.3
VSTgoldenears v4.1
;-)

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 am

Thanks. This isn't in the data, it is definitely a streaming issue of some kind.

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:22 am

Checking it out now.. thanks for the info.
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

Kranketh

Postby Kranketh » Sun May 25, 2014 10:07 pm

First time post here and I know this is an old-ish post but was wondering if there had been any resolution to this problem yet?

I just purchased BFD3 and after installing and setting up, I too am getting artifacts (digital distortion tails) on pretty much every kick, snare and tom hit from any kit. I assume the cymbals are doing the same, it's just harder to identify it due to the nature of cymbals.

I've tried on every detail setting (economy to full)... no change. Buffering too. No change. The only way for me to kill the artifacts is by increasing damping. Not ideal.

Any update would be appreciated. If it is indeed a streaming issue, I am surprised as I have thunderbolt external drives and my iMac is an i7 intel with SSD HDD and 32GB Ram. :roll: Don't know how much faster my streaming is ever going to be. :P

jord

Postby jord » Sun May 25, 2014 11:35 pm

Which version of BFD3 are you using? I'm not hearing any digital artifacts on my Mac.

It can be a streaming issue depending on where your library data and if you are in a DAW, where your audio files, are located.

What is your RAM and Disk Cache set to? Also, what are your CoreAudio sample buffers set to?

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

Kranketh

Postby Kranketh » Mon May 26, 2014 12:32 am

Hi Jord,

Thanks for the quick response.

I had the latest beta installed (3.0.3.17) however, I uninstalled and am now doing a download of the first 3.0.1.1. Going to see if it does the same in that version.

My BFD3 core drum library is/was installed on an external eSata drive (7200rpm) which is connected to a LaCie eSata to Thunderbolt converter, which then runs into my UA Apollo Quad interface. That in turn, is connected to my iMac (Mavericks 10.9.2) via thunderbolt cable. I have a separate external hard drive for my sessions and all of the BFD3 app components are installed to my internal SSD.

As far as RAM and Disk Cache settings, if you are referring to the settings in the BFD3 Audio preferences in the Engine menu, I tried each buffer and cache setting from lowest to highest and with absolutely no audible difference in the digital artifacts. I also tried low to high settings on the "Detail" parameters with no change. My Mac is running an i7 3.4Ghz CPU with 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM.

Core audio buffers I tried setting from lowest right up to 1024 but again, no change. I'm using Pro Tools 11 and tried all buffer settings from 64 to 1024 with no change.

The plugin exhibits the exact same problems whether in standalone mode or running in my DAW.

The ONLY thing that lessens the sound is to set the damping higher within BFD Model settings. Problem with that is the sound is unusable at the level of damping settings I have to use to get rid of the digital artifacts in the tails of each drum hit.

I run Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 as well as Slate SSD4 Platinum so I am quite familiar with running these types of software VI's, however, this one has got me stumped. After trying everything I mentioned above, I reset everything to defaults but still had no luck.

Anything stick out to you as a "red flag" in my attempts to correct the problem? I also tried loading the whole kit to RAM as my Mac is certainly capable of managing it. The kits loaded up fine that way but the same noise is still there.

The strange thing is that the noise didn't get better or worse when I made ANY of those changes so it's making me think it's an issue with the audio files themselves.

PS. What settings do you have all your buffers, RAM and cache allocations set to? I'd be curious to try your exact settings to see if they work on my system, seeing as you say you are having no problems. I wonder if the files somehow got corrupted in the download process... the whole download manager interface is a littly clunky IMHO. Not sure what to make of it.

Return to “BFD3”