Forum

FXpansion Forum

PT10 vs PT11 / RTAS vs AAX64

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

kafka

PT10 vs PT11 / RTAS vs AAX64

Postby kafka » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:40 pm

I'll probably be moving sessions back and forth between PT10 and PT11 for some time, until all my plugins are AAX64.

In PT10, BFD3 is RTAS, but in PT11, BFD3 is AAX64. PT apparently views these as different plugins, so it doesn't load the correct version of BFD3 with the last used settings when you've saved your PT session with the other version.

The workaround is to save the BFD3 settings manually, which is kind of a nuisance. However, I'm also wary that there's probably some way I could easily accidentally overwrite or forget to save my named preset settings for a session if I have to do it manually.

Is there some way to get PT to recognize the correct version and load the last saved settings upon session loading?

Thanks.
Last edited by kafka on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:44 pm

Hmm, that's a use case I didn't consider (Rail making noises: "I did!"). Let me go confer with our Man About Adapters, Mr Angus Hewlett...
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

kafka

Postby kafka » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:56 am

Kewl. Thanks.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:09 am

This is a good point. I have had it in 11 quite a bit lately, but not tried it in 10 to think about the Rtas and cross compatibility. With the ram usage lifted with 11, I haven't thought about the velocity layers, ram loading etc. either. In 10 I had to drop the velocity layers a lot of the time. I haven't seen any of these options in 11 unless I have missed that menu somewhere? Of course hopefully I will never need it.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:53 am

guitardom, AAX for PT10 wouldn't change that, it's still 32-bit.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Angus_FX wrote:guitardom, AAX for PT10 wouldn't change that, it's still 32-bit.
yes, I meant "I hope I don't need it" as in I don't need to work in 10 composing or tracking anymore!

kafka

Postby kafka » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 pm

I think I have part of the solution. It's not as clean as I would prefer, but I have decreased the amount of toggling I need to do, so it's less likely to cause a loss of settings.

I create 2 instrument tracks, one called BFD3-RTAS, and one called BFD3-AAX64, with the correct instrument plugins. Only the correct one will open.
I then set:

Settings Preferences->Set Plugin Default To->User Setting
Setting Preferences->Set Plugin Settings To->Session Folder

and save my plugins settings to a file for that session, which is used for both the RTAS and AAX64 plugins. I still have to remember to save my BFD3 plugin settings at the end of each session. However, that's only one keystroke.

The only reason this is a hangup is that lately I'm using BFD as my sequencer in Song mode. I'd hate to lose my drum performance somehow. Otherwise, I can just create a MIDI track with the drum sequencing. PT still doesn't allow you to send a MIDI track to two instruments, which is (still) stupid. However, that's easy to toggle back and forth as needed.

There are some limitations with this. If I want to do any processing, I'd have to create an Aux track and send both RTAS and AAX outputs to that. Similarly, if I want to process an individual BFD channel, I'd have to create 3 Auxes - one for RTAS, a second for AAX, and a third that combines them that contains my processing. However, this can easily be done with templates, which I do already, and the intermediate level busses can be hidden.

Hey, it's better than nothing.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:28 pm

kafka wrote:I think I have part of the solution. It's not as clean as I would prefer, but I have decreased the amount of toggling I need to do, so it's less likely to cause a loss of settings.

I create 2 instrument tracks, one called BFD3-RTAS, and one called BFD3-AAX64, with the correct instrument plugins. Only the correct one will open.
I then set:

Settings Preferences->Set Plugin Default To->User Setting
Setting Preferences->Set Plugin Settings To->Session Folder

and save my plugins settings to a file for that session, which is used for both the RTAS and AAX64 plugins. I still have to remember to save my BFD3 plugin settings at the end of each session. However, that's only one keystroke.

The only reason this is a hangup is that lately I'm using BFD as my sequencer in Song mode. I'd hate to lose my drum performance somehow. Otherwise, I can just create a MIDI track with the drum sequencing. PT still doesn't allow you to send a MIDI track to two instruments, which is (still) stupid. However, that's easy to toggle back and forth as needed.

There are some limitations with this. If I want to do any processing, I'd have to create an Aux track and send both RTAS and AAX outputs to that. Similarly, if I want to process an individual BFD channel, I'd have to create 3 Auxes - one for RTAS, a second for AAX, and a third that combines them that contains my processing. However, this can easily be done with templates, which I do already, and the intermediate level busses can be hidden.

Hey, it's better than nothing.

Are you on a Mac?? I have an idea for a little program I can create to simplify all of this, but it would be PC only.

kafka

Postby kafka » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:38 pm

I swap back and forth between Mac and PC. When I'm programming drum tracks, I'm usually on my MBP. For synths, I could be anywhere. For tracking, I'm on the PC.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:47 pm

kafka wrote:I swap back and forth between Mac and PC. When I'm programming drum tracks, I'm usually on my MBP. For synths, I could be anywhere. For tracking, I'm on the PC.

I could quickly create a little app you could just push a "button" and it would copy settings from 1 folder to the other (rtas to aax or vice versa and even to a 3rd backup location) or any other ideas you might have?? I am also the dev of the Trasher app for Pro Tools and could just put us a switch inside of that for it. But again, I can only do stuff for PC.

Do you just use the plugin settings contained in the session file when you go between the 2 computers? or do you backup files and move them back and forth?

kafka

Postby kafka » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:30 pm

I'm not sure that would be that useful. As it is, I can save the settings to the session plugin file using a single keystroke. It's always in the same place, so it's just a question of remembering to hit save when I exit.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:40 pm

kafka wrote:I'm not sure that would be that useful. As it is, I can save the settings to the session plugin file using a single keystroke. It's always in the same place, so it's just a question of remembering to hit save when I exit.

Gotcha, I was just thinking a way to bypass creating tracks with both versions in your session.

Return to “BFD3”