Hej Guys,

a BFD2 > BFD3 upgrade offer would be cool too. Just sayin :D

peace
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...
http://soundcloud.com/bytechop

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 pm

Try AudioDeluxe.... its on sale already, not low enough for me, but less than most stores.

I'd like to see the BFD3 upgrade at $99. That's $50 off.

Compare that to Geist or Synth Squad which is $249 and on sale for $99, that's $150 off! (even less at Audio Deluxe!)

Make me the BFD2>BFD3 upgrade at $99 and I'll buy it right now. All I need is PT11 compatibility, and I don't want to pay $150 just for that.

If you can cut $150 off Geist and Synth Squad, should be no problem to cut $50 off BFD3.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:29 am

The new kits are worth the price of entry!! I had some free time today and about finished another demo of other kit pieces. Sounds great!

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:25 pm

guitardom wrote:The new kits are worth the price of entry!! I had some free time today and about finished another demo of other kit pieces. Sounds great!

I agree,.... if you like the samples.

From the demos I've heard I won't use 90% of the new samples. I just want AAX64 compatibility so I don't have to start over with a new drum VI and take the time to get use to a different workflow.

If all you want is AAX, $149 is a bit much, if you want the new samples, then sure, $149 is a deal.

FXpansion has me over a barrel at this point. I must have drums in PT11 now. I've already invested too much $$ in expansion libraries and too much time in setting up my perfect kits in BFD2.

There are great deals on other drum VI's right now. I could get EZdrummer with 4 expansions for less than the BFD3 upgrade, BUT, their samples are pre-processed and EZ is not powerful enough in manipulation. Addictive Drums is on sale, but again, pre-processed samples, not quiet as powerful, no included editor, but a really nice interface.

If I liked the BFD3 interface I would pay $299 for the upgrade, but I just can't stand it. However, its not worth trying to sell all my BFD2 stuff and having to pay for license transfers for each expansion, then having to buy and learn a whole new way to work with a new drum VI.

So, you win FXpansion, I'll buy BFD3 - but I'm not happy about it. The first thing I'm going to do is check the asset files and see if I can switchout the stark white background and the "blueprint" kit pieces for something that is darker and kit pieces that actually look like drums. What a concept, a drum VI that actually looks like drums, who would of thought of that.... except every other drum VI, including BFD2.

I still need Geist, Tremor, Synth Squad, Etch..... to be ported to AAX64 too. I just hope they don't ruin those interfaces and that they don't charge $149 each for AAX64 compatibility, that's all I want.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:20 pm

Benoni wrote:
guitardom wrote:The new kits are worth the price of entry!! I had some free time today and about finished another demo of other kit pieces. Sounds great!

From the demos I've heard I won't use 90% of the new samples. I just want AAX64 compatibility so I don't have to start over with a new drum VI and take the time to get use to a different workflow.

If all you want is AAX, $149 is a bit much, if you want the new samples, then sure, $149 is a deal.

FXpansion has me over a barrel at this point. I must have drums in PT11 now. I've already invested too much $$ in expansion libraries and too much time in setting up my perfect kits in BFD2.

There are great deals on other drum VI's right now. I could get EZdrummer with 4 expansions for less than the BFD3 upgrade, BUT, their samples are pre-processed and EZ is not powerful enough in manipulation. Addictive Drums is on sale, but again, pre-processed samples, not quiet as powerful, no included editor, but a really nice interface.

If I liked the BFD3 interface I would pay $299 for the upgrade, but I just can't stand it. However, its not worth trying to sell all my BFD2 stuff and having to pay for license transfers for each expansion, then having to buy and learn a whole new way to work with a new drum VI.

So, you win FXpansion, I'll buy BFD3 - but I'm not happy about it. The first thing I'm going to do is check the asset files and see if I can switchout the stark white background and the "blueprint" kit pieces for something that is darker and kit pieces that actually look like drums. What a concept, a drum VI that actually looks like drums, who would of thought of that.... except every other drum VI, including BFD2.

I still need Geist, Tremor, Synth Squad, Etch..... to be ported to AAX64 too. I just hope they don't ruin those interfaces and that they don't charge $149 each for AAX64 compatibility, that's all I want.

Its 125$ at Audiodeluxe right now. I am sure you know you cant compare Geist, Tremor, etc. to what goes into BFD3 and gives it the price it does!

I really think you need to actually use it before making so many judgments and coming to conclusions. I continue to like it more and more as I get to learn it. SO much faster and intuitive than BFD2 and there are seriously some really nice kit pieces. 2 snares and a kick in particular have moved toward the top of my goto list and a few more that are quite close and I have a LOT of expansions.

I have said it before, but once you get used to the kit "blueprint" you realize it is why it is for a reason. It is quite multipurpose and everything is much more intuitive and WAY less page jumping in this view. You are not stuck with preset kit sizes and drums on your kit view that are not used, you can view your ambient mics in the same view with your kit, you can see your note assignments beside your kit, you can see your selected kit piece specs right beside it, There are just tons of things to clean up the view, simplify the work flow, and things that just cannot be done in BFD 2 and make you realize how much slower workflow wise it is. To use a "real" style kit yet do everything it does would require a much more fancy 3d style view that would be a waste of resources, ram, and processing power IMO.

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:32 am

guitardom wrote:
Benoni wrote:

Its 125$ at Audiodeluxe right now. I am sure you know you cant compare Geist, Tremor, etc. to what goes into BFD3 and gives it the price it does!

I really think you need to actually use it before making so many judgments and coming to conclusions. I continue to like it more and more as I get to learn it. SO much faster and intuitive than BFD2 and there are seriously some really nice kit pieces. 2 snares and a kick in particular have moved toward the top of my goto list and a few more that are quite close and I have a LOT of expansions.

I have said it before, but once you get used to the kit "blueprint" you realize it is why it is for a reason. It is quite multipurpose and everything is much more intuitive and WAY less page jumping in this view. You are not stuck with preset kit sizes and drums on your kit view that are not used, you can view your ambient mics in the same view with your kit, you can see your note assignments beside your kit, you can see your selected kit piece specs right beside it, There are just tons of things to clean up the view, simplify the work flow, and things that just cannot be done in BFD 2 and make you realize how much slower workflow wise it is. To use a "real" style kit yet do everything it does would require a much more fancy 3d style view that would be a waste of resources, ram, and processing power IMO.

You are right, and I'm not trying to demean the programmers. I have a tangential grasp of C# and I know a bit about all that has to go into programming something as HUGE as BFD3. I'm sure they have done a great job.

I just disagree that a fancy 3D model interface is a resource waste. You can drop that right to CUDA and let the GPU take care of that, or simply put an option to turn on/off Realistic Images for computers that have a hard time dealing with extra graphics, this option existed in BFD2 (uncheck Animate), not to the extent I'm talking about, but as an example of what could be done. Plus this is 2013, in a world of 64 bit and mobo's that can easily hold 24+ Gigs of ram, its just not a concern of mine.

I'm sure the engine of BFD3 is great, that was never my problem, its the front end that could have been done "better" (read: more to my personal preference) IMHO.

I also want an option to change the background from that bright white. That should not be too hard to implement, you could even put in a statement to let the user upload their own image for the Kit View background. A wood floor with some FXpansion rugs and mic cables strewn about would look awesome as a background.

Like I said, I am going to get it. I've wasted too much time looking at other drum VI's, I was tempted to get the Addictive Drums deal for $99 with 2 expansion packs at AD, but, even though their kits sound really good, they are not as detailed as FXpansions, and not nearly as many layers and they are pre-processed or at least they sound pre-processed to me.

If I didn't love BFD2 so much, I would simply carry on using BFD2 in PT10 until Slate finally gets their free AAX64 bit update done and then just use SSD4 (since I already have it) in PT11 and sell my FXpansion plugs.... but the results are just too damn good with the FXpanison stuff for me to do that.

I also don't care for the vast majority of new samples, they are just not my style. I'm only interested in the cymbals, one snare and maybe a couple of the kicks, everything else I can't see myself ever needing.

I would like the ability to just update the BFD player to AAX64 for a nominal fee ($29 or so) without any of the samples and just add them later if I feel I need them at that point. Right now I'm much more interested in getting the 2 Japanese packs than anything included w/BFD3.

I'd love to see a BFD3 upgrade + 1 or 2 add on pack bundle option at a reduced price for the official Black Friday sale.

But that's not going to happen.

I'll just lay my money down tomorrow or next week for BFD3, concede defeat with the UI direction they chose, and get on with making music using the tools I like best. But I will still offer my suggestions to upgrade the UI in further development. I'll offer any help that FXpansion wants, beta testing, Windows 8 integration, Pro Tools 11 compatibility testing, UI/UX development, XAML or C# code snipets as ideas for the front end, vectors with XAML, demo's, metal presets, whatever...

Though at this point I have a feeling that FX may not even want me to give them money for the upgrade and they would rather I move to another VI :lol:

Though it may seem from some of my more negative posts (including the ones that have disappeared) that I want BFD3 to fail, I don't. I want it to succeed, I just think some aspects could have been done better, that's all.

After I get it, I'll do a thorough video review/demo of it. I was going to wait for the demo before considering purchase, but since the demo won't load the expansion packs I already have, it will be useless to me, so I'll just jump in with both feet.

Have a good Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

guitardom

Postby guitardom » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:13 am

Benoni wrote:
guitardom wrote:
Benoni wrote:

You are right, and I'm not trying to demean the programmers. I have a tangential grasp of C# and I know a bit about all that has to go into programming something as HUGE as BFD3. I'm sure they have done a great job.

I just disagree that a fancy 3D model interface is a resource waste. You can drop that right to CUDA and let the GPU take care of that, or simply put an option to turn on/off Realistic Images for computers that have a hard time dealing with extra graphics, this option existed in BFD2 (uncheck Animate), not to the extent I'm talking about, but as an example of what could be done. Plus this is 2013, in a world of 64 bit and mobo's that can easily hold 24+ Gigs of ram, its just not a concern of mine.

I'm sure the engine of BFD3 is great, that was never my problem, its the front end that could have been done "better" (read: more to my personal preference) IMHO.

I also want an option to change the background from that bright white. That should not be too hard to implement, you could even put in a statement to let the user upload their own image for the Kit View background. A wood floor with some FXpansion rugs and mic cables strewn about would look awesome as a background.

Like I said, I am going to get it. I've wasted too much time looking at other drum VI's, I was tempted to get the Addictive Drums deal for $99 with 2 expansion packs at AD, but, even though their kits sound really good, they are not as detailed as FXpansions, and not nearly as many layers and they are pre-processed or at least they sound pre-processed to me.

If I didn't love BFD2 so much, I would simply carry on using BFD2 in PT10 until Slate finally gets their free AAX64 bit update done and then just use SSD4 (since I already have it) in PT11 and sell my FXpansion plugs.... but the results are just too damn good with the FXpanison stuff for me to do that.

I also don't care for the vast majority of new samples, they are just not my style. I'm only interested in the cymbals, one snare and maybe a couple of the kicks, everything else I can't see myself ever needing.

I would like the ability to just update the BFD player to AAX64 for a nominal fee ($29 or so) without any of the samples and just add them later if I feel I need them at that point. Right now I'm much more interested in getting the 2 Japanese packs than anything included w/BFD3.

I'd love to see a BFD3 upgrade + 1 or 2 add on pack bundle option at a reduced price for the official Black Friday sale.

But that's not going to happen.

I'll just lay my money down tomorrow or next week for BFD3, concede defeat with the UI direction they chose, and get on with making music using the tools I like best. But I will still offer my suggestions to upgrade the UI in further development. I'll offer any help that FXpansion wants, beta testing, Windows 8 integration, Pro Tools 11 compatibility testing, UI/UX development, XAML or C# code snipets as ideas for the front end, vectors with XAML, demo's, metal presets, whatever...

Though at this point I have a feeling that FX may not even want me to give them money for the upgrade and they would rather I move to another VI :lol:

Though it may seem from some of my more negative posts (including the ones that have disappeared) that I want BFD3 to fail, I don't. I want it to succeed, I just think some aspects could have been done better, that's all.

After I get it, I'll do a thorough video review/demo of it. I was going to wait for the demo before considering purchase, but since the demo won't load the expansion packs I already have, it will be useless to me, so I'll just jump in with both feet.

Have a good Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

I know enough about coding to get into trouble like with my TRASHER program and some other stuff I have done. I actually have my own version of TRASHER I built that also backs up and restores all of my FXP stuff. But the idea of implementing Cuda into the processing creates a whole new batch of nightmares and by all accounts incompatible with Pro Tools from the devs I know who has looked into it and then it would create a ton of computer incompatibilities. It's not even logical at this point in time to consider it for such uses. I want my computer load and programs to be as light as possible. Even with the 3930k and 12 cores, I can verge on maxing it out with large 100+ track sessions if lots of processing or VI's are required. I will also say, w 3 you tend to make more detailed (velocity layers) and don't scoff at adding another cymbal and things like that. My ram usage as grown exponentially since moving to 3.

Splitting up the program from the content creates an entire new batch of issues for licensing reasons especially and more options for them to deal with.

The "animation" is always on in BFD3, haven't noticed the prefs to shut it off and there is quite a bit more of it. I have been only using it in Win 8 as well.

I believe Russ did about a 1/2 hour long review of it, groove 3 now has their tutorials up, and I among others have done some different demos of it. There is a lot out there and the consensus by those actually using it is great. The only negatives seem to be from users with issues getting it running for whatever reason. There is just a certain amount of needing to look at it through a different lens than 2. It is still no where as drastic as going from BFD1 to 2 was, but it's still a different beast.

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:09 am

It's been purchased, from JRR shop, good guys there.

I'm not to keen on this having to download from within the license manager, my internet sucks and routinely goes down, I sure hope I am able to resume if that happens and not start all over again. I've got 5-7 hours left for download time :x

jord

Postby jord » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:48 am

Make sure you have the latest license manager (it should be in your user area). It should take care of those types of situations.

The download ticket contains a manifest. Any of the items in the manifest that have been successfully downloaded will not download again.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:07 am

Just what I was worried about, I lost connection right at the end and now have CRC errors. Not cool. Hopefully the re-dl'ed files will be good.

-----

Re-ran the ticket and now it looks like everything is down properly.

This process seems a bit too heavy handed IMO. Hopefully it can be tweaked to make it easier on the paying users.

You watch, now that I've bought BFD3 their will be a huge sale on Cyber Monday for $99 + a free EXP. :wink:

I'll install this now and give her a spin in PT11.

--------

Everything installed, working, but the darn thing crashed in the first 10 minutes in Standalone! Still don't like the interface. But at least I can finally have my drums back in PT11.

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:18 am

We will not be discounting BFD3 for the foreseeable future. It's our flagship, it's only just been released.

The decision to go with a vector-drawn blue-print kit view was based on making an adaptable view that actually did something, rather than sat there looking like eye-candy but doing little, and actually *adding* to visual clutter. We made a very conscious (and possibly contentious ;) ) decision to present BFD3 in a stripped-down diagrammatic form because of the sheer density of interactive objects and information on the GUI. We had many design arguments over the number of visual transitions your eye would suffer as it moved around the screen - every hard edge and line had to be justified, within reason.

A colour-scheming system to allow adjust to "darkened studio" is in the works - this didn't make the time-budget for initial release; getting everything working with one scheme is hard enough, esp when staff time needs to be given to all the other aspects of this project.
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:14 am

SKoT_FX wrote:We will not be discounting BFD3 for the foreseeable future. It's our flagship, it's only just been released.

The decision to go with a vector-drawn blue-print kit view was based on making an adaptable view that actually did something, rather than sat there looking like eye-candy but doing little, and actually *adding* to visual clutter. We made a very conscious (and possibly contentious ;) ) decision to present BFD3 in a stripped-down diagrammatic form because of the sheer density of interactive objects and information on the GUI. We had many design arguments over the number of visual transitions your eye would suffer as it moved around the screen - every hard edge and line had to be justified, within reason.

A colour-scheming system to allow adjust to "darkened studio" is in the works - this didn't make the time-budget for initial release; getting everything working with one scheme is hard enough, esp when staff time needs to be given to all the other aspects of this project.

I simply disagree. What some see as clutter, I see as inspirational and immersive which is the bases of function, user experience, and re-usability.

I would like to see a "classic" switch added that overlays the UI of BFD2 onto BFD3. The BFD2 UI was just about perfect for my workflow, the only reason I did the upgrade was because DDMF didn't allow multiple outs without using a surround track in PT11.

I've discussed this issue to death and I am becoming disinterested in it, the choice was made, the UI changed, I don't like, whatever :D

I'm just happy I can use my BFD Heavy Expansion in PT11 now.... that is the BEST sounding library.... EVER.... Period.

Now just to wait for Synth Squad, Tremor, and Geist to be ported to AAX64.....

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:36 am

One day we'll release the "BFD3 Meeting Tapes: Advanced Exercises in Masochism", where staff argue (for everyone's distinct lack of pleasure) on subject such as this, font choice, the correct shade of blue; rend of meeting sepuku lessons were offered but strangely not taken up as often as we all felt we needed...
SKoT McDonald

CTO FXpansion]

Benoni

Postby Benoni » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:21 pm

purtington wrote:
I simply disagree. What some see as clutter, I see as inspirational and immersive which is the bases of function, user experience, and re-usability.

I would like to see a "classic" switch added that overlays the UI of BFD2 onto BFD3. The BFD2 UI was just about perfect for my workflow, the only reason I did the upgrade was because DDMF didn't allow multiple outs without using a surround track in PT11.

I've discussed this issue to death and I am becoming disinterested in it, the choice was made, the UI changed, I don't like, whatever :D

I'm just happy I can use my BFD Heavy Expansion in PT11 now.... that is the BEST sounding library.... EVER.... Period.

Now just to wait for Synth Squad, Tremor, and Geist to be ported to AAX64.....

So I guess you won't be doing one of these video's for BFD3 any day soon Benoni :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_511432&feature=iv&src_vid=ua6kEjelYdg&v=j4dOQbH4iDM

I wasn't too pleased with the new UI at all to start with.
Whilst I wouldn't have called it horrible as some have it had certainly lost the sex appeal that BFD2 had.
I would have liked to have seen the kit view change to reflect new kit pieces when they were added but in terms of speed and fluidity of work flow then I have to say BFD3 is a big improvement.

But the truth is (for me a least) that like all eye candy the kit view is pretty superfluous and I only really used it in BFD2 because that was how I accessed all the kit piece parameters. BFD3's modal and tech panels are much better as far as ease of use and work flow goes so now the kit view has little meaning to me.
I would however like to have seen a little more colour especially in the effects rack but I guess you could say that it is at least very clear as it is.

But I do acknowledge that eye candy can be very important especially with regards to attracting new users who will often go on first impressions. I argued the case during beta testing when we were asked our views on the new UI but in truth I think if people are seriously going to pass a piece of software by on account of not liking the way it looks it's their loss and is more a reflection of how shallow and fickle we can be.

Steve

I can say with certainty, there will be no video to offer praise for the aesthetics of BFD3 :wink:

As for the rest, I will just say the following, as I think I've said the same points multiple times.

Form is function. I do not believe anyone when they say "looks don't matter" simply because that would make them not human.
I know the political correctness party wants to force this idea upon society, but it won't stick, this is base human reaction.

I'll offer this as proof that looks do matter to everyone (and that's a good thing if you know anything about selection in nature)

When you buy clothes, do you try to buy something that you think is ugly, but functional?
When you buy a mobile phone, do you want something with an interface that you hate, but its functional?
(this list could go on forever so I'll just cut to the chase)
When looking for a mate/partner, do you try to date/marry someone that you are not attracted to?
(I'll keep this PG) When participating in intimate actions, do you perform better when you have no attraction to the person or does it help to have this so called "non functional eye-candy"? The parts are the same, so why should "eye candy" matter?

I think that pretty much sums it up. Looks matter to everyone. Its not fickle or shallow, its reality. Its how we are "made" to work.

That's my last word in this thread about this issue.

If you need further confirmation, study a bit about Neuroscience. Learn about what chemicals are released in a state of attraction, and see how these chemicals effect function, experience, and return. Once you have a basic understanding of the brain, read some about evolutionary biology, ecology, ethology, genetics, adaptions, neuroethology, and some basic philosophy. All of this can be learned for free around the net, you may even want to go to the Education section of YouTube as you can watch free college level courses about all of this for free.

It may seem like this stuff does not apply to something like a piece of software, but just learn a bit about those subjects and it will become very clear that it is all connected. You can't beat nature.

Of course, none of this will say whether or not the BFD3 interface is objectively "attractive", that's subjective and cannot be quantified in any meaningful, objective way. The point is, "eye-candy" is in the eye of the beholder, but it does matter to everyone - its just based on the individuals preference.

Now that this thread is as off topic as it could possibly be.... I'm done :lol:

I have plenty of suggestions for improvements but that will be in a different thread.

Now, I have some BFD3 videos to make
8) :wink:

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:32 pm

SKoT_FX wrote:One day we'll release the "BFD3 Meeting Tapes: Advanced Exercises in Masochism", where staff argue (for everyone's distinct lack of pleasure) on subject such as this, font choice, the correct shade of blue; rend of meeting sepuku lessons were offered but strangely not taken up as often as we all felt we needed...

HA! That would be a very bad idea. :lol:

Suffice to say, some of us weren't keen on the blueprint idea, others of us were. You should see some of the alpha graphics and some of the conceptual mockups we've got, I'm sure if you did, you'd agree that BFD3 looks way better than what we had initially!!

I don't mind the blueprint stuff these days. I've gotten used to it. I go back to BFD2 now when doing expansion pack development work, and I am completely lost!

It takes all sorts I suppose. But I don't think we're ever going to go back to a 3d mockup within BFD3. Perhaps BFD4, once we've all gotten over the PTSD that BFD3 has given us! :lol:

Return to “BFD3”