FXpansion Forum

Dcam EnvShaper

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

guitardom

Dcam EnvShaper

Postby guitardom » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:59 am

Long backstory:
I honestly never mixed inside of BFD (1 or 2) before. I always did all of that within Pro Tools and have been using BFD for around 8 years or so now. These demo's I have posted are the first things I have ever mostly mixed inside of BFD and am working here and there on another since I have had time lately. Fairly regular I like to focus quite hard on a single piece of software and in the process I try to force myself outside of my "box" which is easy to develop after 15 or so years on something like Pro Tools and its quite helpful for finding new plugins, workflows, and little trinkets of knowledge. I had just spent a lengthy amount of time living inside of Revoice Pro (It is simply amazing) and Since BFD3 was released at the perfect time, I figured why not jump on it next!!

While recalling a preset, there was something going on with the snare that intrigued me a bit. It had a compressor on it, but it was not pumping very much and the snare had a VERY heavily compressed feeling with that nice "splat" sound and I could not put a finger on it. Finally narrowed it down to the Dcam EnvShaper.

WOW is all I can say. Quite a powerful tool if used with caution!! Seems easy to get a bit heavy handed with and suck the life out of the source in such a fun way!! It works well to give drums that mixed/processed feeling without all the headaches. Not sure what all is going on inside of it, but glad I found it and bummed it took me so long!! Might have to look into the dcam dynamic plugins now! I suppose AAX64 bit is on the way for them.

guitardom

Re: Dcam EnvShaper

Postby guitardom » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:51 pm

purtington wrote:
guitardom wrote:Long backstory:
I honestly never mixed inside of BFD (1 or 2) before. I always did all of that within Pro Tools and have been using BFD for around 8 years or so now. These demo's I have posted are the first things I have ever mostly mixed inside of BFD and am working here and there on another since I have had time lately. Fairly regular I like to focus quite hard on a single piece of software and in the process I try to force myself outside of my "box" which is easy to develop after 15 or so years on something like Pro Tools and its quite helpful for finding new plugins, workflows, and little trinkets of knowledge. I had just spent a lengthy amount of time living inside of Revoice Pro (It is simply amazing) and Since BFD3 was released at the perfect time, I figured why not jump on it next!!

While recalling a preset, there was something going on with the snare that intrigued me a bit. It had a compressor on it, but it was not pumping very much and the snare had a VERY heavily compressed feeling with that nice "splat" sound and I could not put a finger on it. Finally narrowed it down to the Dcam EnvShaper.

WOW is all I can say. Quite a powerful tool if used with caution!! Seems easy to get a bit heavy handed with and suck the life out of the source in such a fun way!! It works well to give drums that mixed/processed feeling without all the headaches. Not sure what all is going on inside of it, but glad I found it and bummed it took me so long!! Might have to look into the dcam dynamic plugins now! I suppose AAX64 bit is on the way for them.

Yeah I really like the Envshaper.

Generally I find it much quicker to use the effects included in BFD2 & BFD3 if only due to the fact that I'm not going from one interface to another. But I've always thought the included effects were excellent and at that particular time (2007) there was nothing as good that came with sonar and anything of that quality outside of most sequencers would cost a fortune.

Often when I'd been arguing the merits of BFD2 against other drum vsti's I would mention the excellent array of drum effects that are included compared to other drum vst's but most people would just say they didn't need them as they had plenty of effects and preferred to bus their channels out to their sequencer.
Whilst I bus my channels out to my daw it's not often that I feel the need to improve on the effects that come with BFD2 & 3.

I was however playing with an old song that has addictive drums in it recently and was playing with their pitch envelope filter and really wish I had one in BFD3. It's a great effect if a little over used back in the 80's but I'm sure fxpansion could do a better job of it.

One thing I would love to see is some kind of internal automation for effects as that's the other reason I would sometimes use third party effects as automating is much easier within my host sequencer.

Steve

I am very fortunate to be able to have nice hardware and software plugins to use. Having a studio, I must have a varied collection of tools and even using a drum VI, I still use hardware compressors, eq's, fx, etc. there is also the huge comfort level of knowing my plugins and hardware to use for mixing. It just made sense to mix in my host. With BFD being 64bit AAX now, I can do a lot of things with BFD inside of PT I could not do before. With the ram limitations gone, it's like a whole new world of options have opened.

For me it was the flexibility and the quality of available samples that set BFD ahead. I can't handle the fully processed samples. I need some room to mold them!!

The automation is something I was thinking about the other day. I will switch between samples at different parts or bring in backing samples or compressed aux's for chorus' and such. So regardless I must do all of this in a host, which is no big deal as I am sure I am not going to be setting and running automation quicker than what I am in PT, but it would complete the "package" and leave the end user w some options and more flexibility.

I will be spending some time on the other effects inside of BFD as well and see what else I am missing!

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:20 am

Mod-source objects a la Etch/Bloom/Tremor/Maul/DCAM... I agree. (Should've prioritised the cloning machine earlier in the project, doh!). They've been sitting in the TODO wish list for a while...
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

Return to “BFD3”