FXpansion Forum

Problem with "Merge to New Part" in groove editor track

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

endorka

Problem with "Merge to New Part" in groove editor track

Postby endorka » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:32 pm

Hello,

I'm a relative newcomer to BFD3, but have already had excellent results from it.

As I get more advanced in drum programming I like to partition my pieces into several sections in the track section of the groove editor. Sometimes I assemble these pieces from smaller fragments of drum parts and fills, like in the screen capture attached to this post.

I use these as a basis for further modification, but they are very clunky to edit while fragmented like this, so I prefer to glue them together using "Merge to New Part" from the menu available by right clicking on the track items when several are selected.

I would expect this to make a copy of all the existing parts in one place, playing back as they did before. Sometimes it does, sometimes it does not. When it does not, there are large blank sections where there used to be drums. I think this has something to do with parts that are truncated at the start, and parts that are looped. So the section in my screen capture doesn't fare well at all! If I avoid truncating or looping parts, the merge works as I would expect.

Am I missing something obvious? I've checked the manual but can't find an answer. Any advice much appreciated!

Jennifer

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi - the function merges any neighbouring selected parts to a new part. Apologies this wasn't in the manual already - it was an oversight. It will be covered in the updated manual for the new version (3.1) which will be uploaded soon.

Could you perhaps upload a preset of the Drum Track you're working with and I'll try and reproduce the behaviour you're seeing?
Mayur Maha
FXpansion Audio [http://www.fxpansion.com]
Please do not PM me - use the support ticket system instead

endorka

Postby endorka » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:14 pm

Thank you for your reply Mayur.

I've attached a preset. The problem section is from bars 63-68, merging these gives the behaviour described.

Cheers,
Jennifer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks - we've actually been checking this out in the meantime and managed to reproduce it - it *should* be fixed in the next version. Apologies for the inconvenience in the meantime!
Mayur Maha

endorka

Postby endorka » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:13 pm

Good stuff.

Do you have any suggestions for a workaround until the fix is in place?

I tried dragging the grooves into Reaper with a view to editing them there, but the imported midi item is also blank in the same place, bars 63-68.

Cheers,
Jennifer

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:13 pm

Sorry, the only workaround I can advise is to avoid using the Merge function with truncated parts - i.e. copy/move the truncated parts around instead of merging them first - it is still possible even though it might look messy :) Alternatively, until this is fixed in the Drum Track, you could try arranging Grooves as MIDI clips within a Reaper track, doing all truncation/arrangement there.

We are in the midst of making v3.1 builds at the moment so it shouldn't be too long before it is fixed.
Mayur Maha

endorka

Postby endorka » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Thanks Steve, that's a good thought, but since the 3.1 build is on its way I'll wait for that :-)

I can work on some other aspects of the piece in the meantime.

Thanks again,
Jennifer

jord

Postby jord » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:46 pm

You could always use your DAW to get your drum tracks in order and do your drum editing there. I usually find doing the tracks in the DAW are a lot less painful and quicker in many aspects.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

endorka

Postby endorka » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:28 pm

Good point, I've tried it both ways for several pieces in the past.

I'd say the DAW editing is more flexible, and I'm certainly more fluent with it, but the BFD editor has the advantage of specific drummy stuff like clearer articulation choice and the rudiments painter.

I suspect the optimum workflow for myself will be to write the drum part in BFD, then drag it into the DAW for final polishing. I'd be really interested to hear what others have figured out in terms of workflow.

Cheers,
Jennifer

jord

Postby jord » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:30 am

That's just it. You can use the groove editor with everything in there, including the rudiment painter. From there, you can drag and drop your grooves on your MIDI track in the DAW. You can arrange things just the way you want them.

I've done similar things, although I would say for me it's more like the ADHD guide to drum programming :D

I've used various tools alongside BFD, including EZ Drummer (I really love how I can change a groove in various ways), Logic Pro X Drummer (sometimes I just want to play along to a beat), or I will write it out myself, tapping out rudiments and all on my MIDI pad controllers. And, it all changes day by day and/or whether I'm doing this for myself or for a client.

All I can say is find something that works for you. :)

jord

endorka

Postby endorka » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:54 am

Thank you Jord, that all makes sense. Best way is to find your own way by actually doing, mistakes and all!

Using a MIDI pad controller sounds like a great way to do this, to get the rhythms entered in a direct way. I used to have an old Yamaha DD11 that would have done the job, but sold it several years ago, alas! Easy enough to get another though :-)

Jennifer

jord

Postby jord » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:24 pm

I couldn't have said it better. :)

I'm one of those guys who believe that the MIDI pad controller was one of the greatest things to come out 10 years ago. LOL!

I surround myself with a Korg padKontrol (my fave) and a NI Maschine MKII. I also have a Maschine Mikro on hand for when I am travelling... I get great WTF looks from airport security, especially in Calgary, Alberta. I am always re-arranging the pads to suit certain rhythms and fills that I am always trying to work out. I like to play along with drummers just for fun. One can say that it has been a part of finding my musical way for the past number of decades (I'm too old to keep count). :D

jord

Return to “BFD3”