BFD3 as a 'drum designing' tool. (suggestion) - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

BFD3 as a 'drum designing' tool. (suggestion)

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

HarmoNoise

BFD3 as a 'drum designing' tool. (suggestion)

Postby HarmoNoise » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Hello all,

I've owned BFD3 since more or less its release. I was always apprehensive about buying drum-plugins because a: didnt like the interface but also because i felt stuck inside of the interface. BFD3 changed that for me but as much as I enjoy the interface I feel it falls short as an actual drum designing tool. I've been demoing AD2 and the level of control over drums is incredible.

Things that I have requested by mail before are inside of AD2. For example, there is a pitch envelope that can be applied to any drum sound. This is awesome for creating a really sharp attack at the start of a sound. Volume envelopes that allows you to control tails. Another really cool feautre is being able to tune the Overheads independantly of the sounds.

For me this sort of thing is really important because I'm more interested in altering the sound of drums. For me BFD excels in creating grooves and ease of use (although AD2 is possibly even easier to use)

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:28 pm

BFD is really more about providing the 'drums in a studio' experience. Have you had a look at Geist? I think it might be more what you're after in some cases. Of course you can layer and use any VST's together in your DAW, to achieve the sounds you want. Often times it turns out best that way anyway, when you use the tool for what it's meant to do rather than trying to make it something it is not.

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:26 am

* Tail control is down via the "Damping" controls - you have independent control over direct and ambient damping.

* Separate tuning of mic channels isn't possible as we run a highly optimized monolithlic "massively" multi-channel sound format to aid streaming + synthesis. What you could do is run two instances of the same drum however, and mute / solo the OH respectively - that would give you independent tuning control.

* "Whole of sound" (ie all channels) pitch and amp control has been waiting on the runway for takeoff for a while, but has been getting pipped by other features when we triage. There is V2P for some pitch control, and the aforementioned damping. You also have the Envelope Shaper plugin in the mixer, which does a great job on bringing up attacks and sustains independently and in an "analogue" like way like you'd see in a studio, rather than "digitally" on the single-hit source material.

Def all on never-shortening TODO list...
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

Return to “BFD3”