FXpansion Forum

Expansions Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

Wotan777

Expansions Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Postby Wotan777 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Hello

I use BFD3 with a roland td 11 kv with a pink floyd tribute band, we try to get done some songs of the live at pompeii, especially "Echoes"

I tried out a lot of demo packs, but it's hard to get a drum kit which sounds like Nick Masons early ludwig drum kit. There are some packs with Ludwig Toms, but there on a rack tom and a floor tom. The cymbals I take from the zildijan pack.

Any suggestions which expansion pack I could use and which Toms to take to get near to the sound of the Ludwig Drum Kit of Nick Mason in Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii, Echoes?

Thanks for any help.

Stefan

jord

Re: Expansions Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

Postby jord » Sun May 21, 2017 6:31 am

You're probably not getting the kit to sound like Mason's because you're using too many microphone channels. Looking at the Pompeii video, the mic setup on Nick's drums is not very elaborate. I see only 3 direct mics and an couple of overhead mics. The kicks are mainly outside channels, the toms are shared and the snare looks like it's being caught by an overhead mic.

I'd almost say to start with a basic kit from Platinum Sample's Jim Scott or Andy Johns Drums packs and think very simplistically as far as setting up your drum channels. Those two packs are about as classic rock as one can get, with the late great Johns having been through the entire era.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

Wotan777

Postby Wotan777 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:12 am

@ jord: Thank you very much, the packs you proposed are exactly what I was looking for. I need a Ludwig Kit with 2 Rack Toms.

Thank you.

Stefan

Jan.Schoene

Postby Jan.Schoene » Mon May 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Have you seen this:
https://www.esoundz.com/sounds/nick-mas ... /5224.html
I absolutely love this kit ... instant dark-side-feeling. It's quite dry but you can always change that. But the basic sound is just there ...
To avoid questions:
MacBook Pro Retina, Core i7 2,6GHz, 16GB RAM, OS X 10.14.6, Logic Pro X, Cubase Pro 10, BFD3 (always latest stable), BFD Eco, BFD Eco DV

Wotan777

Postby Wotan777 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:34 am

@Jan Schoene
Ok thank you. I think about this kit. We want rather the pompeii Feeling with Ludwig kit than the newer ones. In the nick mason kit, are there any old drums like his first Ludwig kit or is it just the new "dw" kit?

Stefan

Guitardude

Postby Guitardude » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:06 am

I have the esoundz Nick Mason kit for BFD3. Engineered by Alan Parsons. It is great. It is the Ludwig kick. Give it a listen. It might fit your need.

https://www.esoundz.com/sounds/nick-mas ... /5224.html

Guitardude
BFD3, BFD2, BFD Eco, Megadrum TMI, Pintech + Visulite triggers
Sonar Platinum, MOTU PCIe 424 audio
Win7 Ultimate 64 bit, Intel I7 3770K, 32GB Ram

Return to “BFD3”