Forum

FXpansion Forum

Tom Resonance not working as expected

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

Natural Sound

Tom Resonance not working as expected

Postby Natural Sound » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:39 pm

Not sure when this anomaly happened. I've noticed it for several months, but it was low on my priority list.

- Did a fresh install of BFD3 (possibly 3.3.0.44) on new iMac 27" 2017 (i5 40gig ram) back in January 2020. (Tom resonance wasn't working properly- thought it was me)
- Installed new 3.3.1.33 update In May 2020
- Upgraded to Catalina in June of 2020.
- Tom Resonance Res Trim and Res Spill work as expected on the tom channels
- Tom Resonance Res Trim and Res Spill do nothing on the Kick and Snare Channels
- Turning on the Tom Res button seems to send a fixed level to the Tom channels.
- experimented with PREFS> Engine> Simulation settings at -24, 0 and +24 with no change detected
- Loaded various default presets with no success.
- Sends are up on Tech Page for Kik and Snare.
- Same behavior in Stand Alone as well as DAW.

What am I missing?
Please advise.
Thank you
- Also while we're at it can some one confirm this:
On the Kick and Snare channels the Res trim and Res spill act as send controls to the Toms, But on the Tom channels the same controls there act as volume controls for Res and Trim for that particular tom.

Natural Sound

Re: Tom Resonance not working as expected

Postby Natural Sound » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:22 pm

UPDATE- Deleted all BFD files except license and libraries.
Reinstalled latest version with no change.

kafka

Postby kafka » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:35 pm

I think you may be right about this, although I haven't tested it thoroughly. What kits are you using?

Natural Sound

Postby Natural Sound » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:55 pm

I wasn't aware that Tom Resonance was reliant on a type of kit. I was under the impression that it was a simulation and therefore not drum dependent. My"kit" is a mish mosh of drums from different packs.
But I even tested it on pretty much every BFD3 preset in the list. I don't think any of them had Tom Resonance engaged. But I engaged them with the same results. (Kick and Snare Tom Resonance controls do not have any control over the level sent to the toms as I believe they should.) You need to be able to control the balance between the kick and snare because in it's current 'fixed send stuck state', (now there's 4 words I never used together) the snare seems to be sending way more than the kick.

kafka

Postby kafka » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:43 am

I think it may be dependant on the kit. I haven't had time to work it through carefully, but I'm working with the Yamaha Oak kit tonight, and the tom resonance is working exactly as one would expect it to.

I'm not sure how the tom resonance works. I doubt it's a sample. I was always under the impression that it was a convolution verb based on the tom sample. But I could be totally wrong about that. But if it is, I guess it might depend on which sample.

Natural Sound

Postby Natural Sound » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:39 pm

Thank you for checking that out.
As I mentioned the tom resonance does work. And works as expected for the toms. (Toms resonating the other toms)
But it's the Kick and Snare "Res Trim" and "Spill Trim" that have no effect on the level sent to the toms from the kick and snare.
(They seem to be sending a fixed amount that can not be balanced between the kick and snare.)
Are you saying that those 2 controls are working properly on your Yamaha Kit?
It would seem odd that they would provide a function but not include kits that can utilize the function.
I have filed a support ticket, but they only responded to me saying that they will be responding to me in the future.
Apparently the ROLI absorption might be creating some lag time which leaves us to figure these things out on our own for now.
Thanks for your continued help.

kafka

Postby kafka » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:07 pm

Natural Sound wrote:Thank you for checking that out.
As I mentioned the tom resonance does work. And works as expected for the toms. (Toms resonating the other toms)
But it's the Kick and Snare "Res Trim" and "Spill Trim" that have no effect on the level sent to the toms from the kick and snare.
(They seem to be sending a fixed amount that can not be balanced between the kick and snare.)
Are you saying that those 2 controls are working properly on your Yamaha Kit?
It would seem odd that they would provide a function but not include kits that can utilize the function.

Yeah, it's dead on how one would expect. Kick and snare are causing the toms to resonate on the Yamaha Oak kit, and the level controls are all working the way you'd think they would.

But, as you pointed out, I had one other kit where it wasn't, which is why I suspected you may have been right. I'll have to retrace my steps to see which kit it was.

Natural Sound

Postby Natural Sound » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:14 am

ok - thank you for that update. That will help for whenever support gets back to me.
It's only been about 3 weeks. Perhaps they'll get back to me before BFD4 comes out. :roll:
I assume you're using the most recent version of BFD? (3.3.1.33)

Return to “BFD3”