Is it possible to install BFD3 into a portable drive?? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Is it possible to install BFD3 into a portable drive??

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

Whispererr

Is it possible to install BFD3 into a portable drive??

Postby Whispererr » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:37 pm

I have recently bought a 2TB Seagate portable external hard drive and was hoping to install all my memory heavy VSTs into it, and BFD and its core library are one of them. It's nearly 80gigs. I tried installing it on the hard drive, along with the core library, and I thought I set the installation it to my D: drive, which is the Seagate drive, but it wouldn't let me use it unless it was installed in my PC. Like the topic says, is it possible to have a portable installation of BDF3 and its core library to use on the go? If so, I'd really love to know how it's done. Thank you!!

kafka

Re: Is it possible to install BFD3 into a portable drive??

Postby kafka » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:53 pm

The libraries definitely can. I have a dedicated partition on my SSD just for BFD3 libraries. I've actually been moving them around without doing a reinstall for more than a decade. They originally started on BFD 1 on Windows 7, and now I'm in BFD3 on MacOS.

As far as the BFD software goes, that it should be fine, as long as you 1.) have it correctly installed into your path so the OS can find it, and 2.) licensing works. I know that FXpansion does support BFD on multiple machines as far as 2.) goes, although you'll have to check with them on how to do it. Given that, I'd put BFD3 itself on each machine, as it doesn't take much space on it's own, and just repoint it to the portable drive for the libraries.

Return to “BFD3”