Newbie help pls! - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Newbie help pls!

Support for BFD Premium Acoustic Drum Module

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

which one is best?

bhd
67%
ezdrummer
33%
drumcore
No votes

Total votes: 6

platzgumer

Newbie help pls!

Postby platzgumer » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:00 pm

Hi

I'm thinking of splashing out on BHD (unless anyone reckons ezdrummer is better? - as if on this forum!)

Been playing around with the demo and theres a couple of issues which probably are basic

1) i can see BHD as an AU generator in garageband, and can record and import this to logic express - but in LE, although it plays, i can't - er - see it?! i also can't use it as an instrument in logic. where does it hide?

2) how does one construct songs from the patterns? i need nice soft intros, cymbal breaks and progressions through the track but the demo tutorial just shows you using one bank and shuffling through it randomly. how do you build a song?

i just need some nice light country beats to accompany my stuff - kinda neil young/evan dando pop - is bhd gonna be good for this? i had jamstix on PC which was great - i played, it did the work - is there anything similar on mac?

sorry if these are dumb and already answered elsewhere, but i've been searching the forums all evening with no luck. any help will be most appreciated.

thanks in adv/

platzgumer

ah

Postby platzgumer » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:41 pm

logic has just gone to 7.2.3 ... fixing the invisibility problem.

help with any other elements still appreciated.

(for the purists, when i say neil young i'm thinking after the goldrush era... that lovely laid-back southern rokc groove... ahhh!)

thanks

jord

Postby jord » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:38 am

Umm... you are aware that the program is called BFD?! 8)

All things considered, you questions have been answered on this forum (they're all over this section). As far as constructing songs, you can do it in many ways in Logic. You can use either the groove librarian or MIDI regions within an audio instrument.

As far as the poll goes... it's seems rather useless. What's the point in voting?

jord

platzgumer

Postby platzgumer » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:46 am

thanks for your help. feels good to be part of this community you have goin"!

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:10 am

1) BFD will work in any host as a virtual instrument. The Demo BFD doesn't have an RTAS adapter, since Pro Tools ships with an enhanced demo BFD, "BFD Lite" - this should be part of the Ignition Pack that ships with PT 7.x.

2) You can send notes to BFD from a MIDI track, same as any other virtual instrument. You can drag and drop BFD grooves (which are simply MIDI files) from BFD into your MIDI track. You can send "Groove Notes" to BFD from a MIDI track too. Download the BFD manual and have a look through it for the many and varied ways of working with BFD.

Whilst biased, we like to think we have the most flexible and powerful of the acoustic drum engines out there, with the largest range of sound libraries, and the longest track record of innovation in the area - you'll buying into a very actively growing community of products.

jord

Postby jord » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:21 pm

SKoT_FX wrote:Whilst biased, we like to think we have the most flexible and powerful of the acoustic drum engines out there...

I second this (and I don't work for FXPansion... I'm just an enthusiastic customer and user). :D

jord

platzgumer

Postby platzgumer » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:37 pm

Sure, the samples sound great.

But... i just wanna choose a style and have it kinda evolve in complexity and strength by following the dynamics of the song. Jamstix does this, then you twiddle with it to get it just so.

I'm guessing that's cos it's a different piece of kit. Nice for us non-drummers tho...

From what i read, Strike is the only Mac app that gets close - and that requires (yuch) ProTools.

Any plug-in designers out there fancy a bash?! Or is there a chance the auto groove in bFd(!) might be able to do this somehow?

thanks y'all!

jord

Postby jord » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:18 pm

You can sort of tie some grooves together at random with the Groove Librarian. You can also wire up something in Logic's environment to play a number of grooves (and fills) at random. However, I'd rather be tapping out my own rhythms (even if I am a non-drummer). :-D

jord

Jezz

Postby Jezz » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:41 pm

platzgumer wrote:Sure, the samples sound great.

But... i just wanna choose a style and have it kinda evolve in complexity and strength by following the dynamics of the song. Jamstix does this, then you twiddle with it to get it just so.

I'm guessing that's cos it's a different piece of kit. Nice for us non-drummers tho...

From what i read, Strike is the only Mac app that gets close - and that requires (yuch) ProTools.

Any plug-in designers out there fancy a bash?! Or is there a chance the auto groove in bFd(!) might be able to do this somehow?

thanks y'all!

I don't quite get your concern. If you like Jamstix and that serves your purpose, then you'ld be fine with BFD. Cos, it integrates well with BFD. Instead of Jamstix playing their internal druma library, you get Jamstix to trigger the sounds of BFD. I personally have both of them.
Warm regards,

- Jezz

Cubase SX 3, Windows XP, 2 GB RAM.

platzgumer

Postby platzgumer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:19 pm

thanks guys.

the concern, tho jezz, is that by the time jamstix has ported to intel macs i'll be on my world-weary acoustic phase!

Merlin1

Postby Merlin1 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:18 pm

DONT BUY EZDRUMMER!!!!!!

Ive owned BFD for ages and bought ezdrummer thinking that it would be simple yet a great program. I was excited when i installed it for the first time, and was immedietely, hugely dissapionted. If you REALLY want to buy it, i could sell you my copy. (if the license is transferable.)

Honestly though, i dont know why i bought another drum software prog, cause BFD is great!!! I havent used the other plugs but BFD is AMAZING. Dont even compare it to ezdrummer

Merlin1

Postby Merlin1 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:20 pm

Jezz wrote:
platzgumer wrote:Sure, the samples sound great.

thanks y'all!

I don't quite get your concern. If you like Jamstix and that serves your purpose, then you'ld be fine with BFD. Cos, it integrates well with BFD. Instead of Jamstix playing their internal druma library, you get Jamstix to trigger the sounds of BFD. I personally have both of them.

I second that!!

Ive got BFD and also got Jamstix, although i find jamstix confusing, it would very well indeed with BFD! (although BFD all doesnt work properly in Jamstix)

Emusic

Postby Emusic » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Does jamstix, BFD and Mac/Logic work together these days? Last time I checked Jamstix didnt work on MAC.

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:14 pm

http://www.rayzoon.com/ for all your specification needs. Just checked - they are still windows only.

Return to “BFD”