Logic 8 & BFD - The Official Word, take 3 [Logic8 compatible BFD 1.5.47 now available, READ NOTES!] - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Logic 8 & BFD - The Official Word, take 3 [Logic8 compatible BFD 1.5.47 now available, READ NOTES!]

Support for BFD Premium Acoustic Drum Module

Moderators: Drew_fx, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Logic 8 & BFD - The Official Word, take 3 [Logic8 compatible BFD 1.5.47 now available, READ NOTES!]

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:26 pm

BFD 1.5.47 FOR TIGER & LEOPARD, VST + AU ONLY.

Note new standalone!

A Logic 8 compatible version of BFD -- v1.5.47 -- is now available from your user accounts.

NB:- The Stereo versions of Ultra + ALL won't work due to a known bug in Logic itself. You need to get the Multi Outputs versions showing up, and choose those -- NOT the stereo versions. Or, if you don't want multi outs, just load BFD Stereo.

TROUBLESHOOTING:-

If you hit problems, please try the following:-

-- Trash any BFD components from your AU plugins folder
-- Empty the Trash
-- Run the 1.5.47 installer again
-- Start Logic
-- Reset + rescan in the AU manager

If, after that, you STILL have problems, do this:-

-- Quit Logic.
-- Go to /Users/(you)/Library/Caches
-- delete anything related to Logic from there.
-- delete com.apple.audiounits.cache.
-- go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

-- CTRL+Click on "BFD All.component", choose "Show Package Contents" from the menu.
-- Navigate to Contents/Resources, locate "BFD All.rsrc"
-- Get Info on that file, open the permissions tab of Get Info if it's not already open, and change the Owner of that file to yourself

-- Repeat the above 3 steps for BFD Stereo, Groups and Ultra

-- Restart Logic, reset + rescan in the AU manager.

It should go without saying that we are working on a revised installer to automate all of the above.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

joesloe

re: BFD for Logic 8

Postby joesloe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:18 pm

I was able to get the Groups version to work with an Aux channel for Direct,pzm,overhead master which is great. I would love to be able to have all the channeles that Ultra is supposed to have. Is there any possiblity of a fix for BFD Ultra that will work properly with Logic 8 ?

I am very happy with the sound of BFD and used it and Orca on my new cd which you can hear tracks from at -
http://www.myspace.com/joesedita

I think the addition of a groove editor in 2.0 is a good idea.
Thank you-joe sedita

joesloe

re: logic 8

Postby joesloe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:23 pm

Sorry I just start reading about BFD2-It looks like an amazing update-can't wait to get it. You are making fantastic software !

Vogon

BFD in Logic 8

Postby Vogon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:59 am

Hi,
I have just loaded up an old track containing a BFD-all in Logic 8, on a mac pro, and the new BFD plug has no kit loaded...
The kit was heavily edited so I can't just load a preset. All the other plugs retained their settings.
Any idea how to resolve this?

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:36 am

joesloe -- BFD Ultra won't work in Logic 8 because of a bug in Logic 8 itself (limit to maximum number of outputs a plugin can have). However BFD All will work and has more channels than Groups.

Vogon - load up the older Logic & BFD combo (assuming you still have them..?) and save the kit out as a BFD internal preset or Logic AU-preset.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Vogon

Postby Vogon » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:39 pm

> Vogon - load up the older Logic & BFD combo (assuming you still have them..?) and save the kit out as a BFD internal preset or Logic AU-preset.

Well, I was hoping there was a another way.
Lucky for me, I still do have the "old" components. For someone who hasn't, they may have a shock coming!
I have been loading L7 up to do this, am I right in assuming - from what you've said, that the old component will load into L8 and enable a save?

The other issues are not major, but may be confusing...
The new output scheme has been a problem, I use(d) stereo aux's with a gain plug to sub-mix the kick In/out and snare Top/Bottom, so as to have the relevant processing neatly in my BFD mixer aux section in the Environment. It does seem to be working, except the "input" display on the aux is "x'd" out. Though it works, I have a feeling this config will not be selectable with a new environment/setup.
L8 also seems to set the mono aux's up as "Left" and "right" channels, which means they don't work till one resets them to mono and reselects the correct channel.

Thanks for your prompt response, much appreciated.

themose

Postby themose » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:55 pm

hmmmm pretty scary if I was a computer scientist I might attempt this...

Can I try

/users/havepaidgoodmoney/doesntwork/ever

/triedallthebugfixces/logic8/trashallsoftware/buyapc

Or maybe

/buysomeone/elses/software

/user/gotoanother/store/get real advice

Hey guys i bought BFD and logic on advice of music retailer - authorized Apple and BFD dealer Long & McQuade in Toronto

went back - they just scratch their heads - cool eh?

obviously neither these folks nor you guys have a clue.

hey thanks I enjoyed spending the money on software that won't work. Full stop.

pete@themose.ca

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:55 pm

Er.. right. There might be a few instructions in the list here, but it's all basic Finder stuff -- if you need any of the instructions clarified, just ask here or email our Tech Support guys (support /at/ fxpansion /dot/ com), they'll be happy to help.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

jord

Postby jord » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:53 am

Works perfectly fine here... no probs.

Perhaps, if you actually list the problem you're having, rather than a troll-ish 1st post, perhaps, we can help you get running.

Not to mention that there are a number of knowledgeable people within Long & McQuade that do know how to get BFD working properly. I've been dealing with them for 30 years, and the right people always know where to find the answers there.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

themose

Postby themose » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:05 pm

"Perhaps, if you actually list the problem you're having, rather than a troll-ish 1st post, perhaps, we can help you get running. "

the problems - it doesn't show up. End of story. does not work.

The problem is Logic Xpress does not work with BFD...

I have been a client as well and have an account with L&M since the 60s...

please don't patronize me thanks. Been doin music professionally since the 60s and have spent more time on breaks than you have playin (How's that for returning the patronizing?)

Have been there L&M many times asked 4 - 5 folks over the last few months - they have to clue (Those are their words not mine).

This software does not work nor is not it compatable. Full stop.

to double check had someone over who is a Yoda on Logic and Macs etc etc

he couldn't do it either

yes we did all the dump erase reinstall etc etc

It does not work with logic Express.

I wouldn't have bought it if the folks at L&M knew this...

They assured me it would. I don't need a full logic Pro. Express works for what I need.

When I went back to L&M many many times all I get ...Oh, didn't know that.

So.. now what?

Someone want to buy a installed twenty times but never used version of BFD?

PeterMcC

Postby PeterMcC » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:30 pm

works great chaps!

fx,
Thanks!!

PM

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:58 pm

The problem is Logic Xpress does not work with BFD...

That simply isn't true, it's running fine here. Logic Express supports AU plug-ins, BFD is an AU plug-in. Having said that, modern computer systems are complex, especially when dealing with getting software from multiple vendors to work together, so there is a fair bit of scope for things to go wrong.

First - please confirm /exactly/ which version of OS X and Logic Express you are running.

Next, if you can go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components, select one of the BFD components, and choose File -> Get Info from the Finder menu. If you post a screenshot of that info-box here, that will give us a good idea about whether the BFD AU is there and up-to-date.

Then, go to Applications, and run the BFD stand-alone app from there. If that runs correctly, again, that's a good indicator that things are mostly OK.

Let me know the outcome of those two things, and I can advise further.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

jord

Postby jord » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:21 pm

Wow! You've been on breaks for 35 years, that leaves only 10+ years on professional music playing. Too bad it has absolutely no bearing on the problem at hand. Now, if you can take the time enough to stop the chest beating and answer the following, we can get down to business.

Angus is definitely spot on in that BFD works no problems with Logic Express. Certain versions of Logic Express are limited in their aux channels, but you can still see BFD. Mind you, this may have been alleviated in the latest version of Logic Express (v8), allowing you more functionality with BFD. As was asked before, list the OS, Logic and BFD versions that you are using and many of us Logic users on this forum can help.

The fact that you stating that Logic isn't seeing BFD at all leads me to believe that you may be running Logic on an Intel Mac unit with PPC BFD install. Have you downloaded the latest UB from your registered download area (B6 for Logic 7 and B7 for Logic 8)? If not, that's probably the first place to start.

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

Onedependent

Postby Onedependent » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:19 pm

Hello,
I have gone through all of these steps and realized it is just not worth the hassle to get all of my projects working in 8. Can you explain how I would go back to the prior version of BFD without losing all that I had set up in Logic 7?

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:02 am

Sure -
- go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components, delete any BFD files in there
- go to /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST, delete any BFD files in there
- run the installer for the older BFD version.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Return to “BFD”