Forum

FXpansion Forum

Roli MPE and Strobe 2

User and tech support for Strobe2.

Moderator: Moderators

unity2k

Roli MPE and Strobe 2

Postby unity2k » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 am

I'm using Bitwig 1.3.9, the latest Stobe 2 VST with a Roli Rise on Windows 10. I've followed the demo video on your site and watched it a second and third time to try and determine what I'm missing.

I've reset back to "Init" - set MPE mode in prefs, my Rise works with Equator and Polysynth. I then go very methodically through the video following things step by step but I don't get any MPE results from the beginning. Click on PerfX+ and then click the outer ring on Pitch of the Main Oscillator - trigger a note and slide but I get no motion in the note from the pitch changing because the pitch ins't budging.

I've instead tried the PerfY+ - no luck there either.

On the "Instrument Track" the "Note Input" is set to the Rise but I've also tried keyboard and all.

So I do know that Strobe 2 is capable of MPE on my computer because the stand alone version is working as advertised.

This brought me to uninstalling and reinstalling Strobe 2 and still I'm not able to setup MPE options in the VST version! I'm now at a loss.

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Re: Roli MPE and Strobe 2

Postby Angus_FX » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:53 pm

Just to check - you're using Equator and Polysynth as VSTs in Bitwig too? Want to eliminate the possibility that Bitwig is filtering some of the MPE data.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

unity2k

Postby unity2k » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Angus_FX wrote:Just to check - you're using Equator and Polysynth as VSTs in Bitwig too? Want to eliminate the possibility that Bitwig is filtering some of the MPE data.

What I meant to say is that I'm not having any MPE issues when using Equator or Polysynth and yes I'm using Equator as a VST while Polysynth is Bitwig's native synth, but when I try using Strobe 2 I'm not getting the MPE effects I should be.

unity2k

Postby unity2k » Fri May 06, 2016 5:25 am

It's been nearly a month and I'm not getting any resolution to my issue. It was nice bundling this with the Roli, but if it doesn't work?

I should also mention that if I use the Strobe 2 Stand Alone my Roli works fine.....is this a Bitwig issue or something for FXpansion?

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Thu May 12, 2016 10:12 am

Hi,

Sorry about the slow reply.

I've tested both Equator and Strobe2 in Bitwig now, and neither are working correctly. I am assuming that this is some rechanneling of MIDI that Bitwig is doing (much like Ableton does - all incoming MIDI channels are converted to Channel 1).

Load up Equator in Bitwig and watch the virtual keyboard at the bottom. Now play two notes and Slide each finger separately up and down. You'll notice that only one note slides properly.

Given the fact that Equator doesn't seem to be working correctly in Bitwig either, I think it's safe to assume that the problem is on Bitwig's side. I need to do more research to find out exactly what the problem is. Will update when I have more information.

unity2k

Postby unity2k » Thu May 12, 2016 1:27 pm

I tried Equator as per your instructions and in my setup both fingers were tracked correctly as I moved them apart from one another both across and up and down with the virtual keyboard showing them moving in large circles across the extent of the Roli. I'm using Windows 10 and Bitwig 1.3.9 for what that's worth.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon May 16, 2016 7:55 am

You're correct, my bad. I was using the MIDI controllers setup incorrectly in Bitwig.

Here's the odd thing. With Equator working correctly, Bigwig must be passing multi-channel MIDI correctly. However when I put a MIDI monitor on a Bitwig Instrument channel, everything is reported as being Channel 1. It's almost as if Bitwig is only allowing multichannel MIDI to pass through on selected VST Instruments.

We'll make contact with Bitwig themselves and see if they can shed some light.

unity2k

Postby unity2k » Sun May 29, 2016 6:00 am

In Bitwig's newest beta they fixed some of the nagging problems between Equator and Roli Seaboard Rise so maybe in the next release candidate we can see some movement on getting Strobe 2 working?

thetechnobear

Postby thetechnobear » Tue May 31, 2016 10:54 pm

It works fine in 1.3.9, Ive just tested with my Soundplane (which also support MPE)

you need to ensure you set Strobe 2 in Multidimensional Mode AND in bitwig, select Strobe 2 and use 'Force to MPE mode'

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:48 pm

Yep, right click on the Strobe2 device in Bitwig and "Force MPE mode" seems to do the trick.

Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 17.47.04.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 17.47.04.png (113.33 KiB) Viewed 1852 times

dheerajvirgo

Postby dheerajvirgo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:26 am

thetechnobear wrote:It works fine in 1.3.9, Ive just tested with my Soundplane (which also support MPE)

you need to ensure you set Strobe 2 in Multidimensional Mode AND in bitwig, select Strobe 2 and use 'Force to MPE mode'

thankyou very much for this. since it was working fine in standalone, and not in bitwig I thought it was bitwig problem, and I tried it on Cubase. still MPE didnt worked correctly, but with different problems and now got it. thankyou verymuch!!!

mrpony

Postby mrpony » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:45 pm

dheerajvirgo wrote:thankyou very much for this. since it was working fine in standalone, and not in bitwig I thought it was bitwig problem, and I tried it on Cubase. still MPE didnt worked correctly, but with different problems and now got it. thankyou verymuch!!!

I've got problems with the Seaboard in Cubase too. How did you manage to solve the issue? Can't seem to find any "force MPE mode in Cubase, as you could do in bitwig. Works perfect in stand alone mode for me too.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:51 am

mrpony wrote:
dheerajvirgo wrote:thankyou very much for this. since it was working fine in standalone, and not in bitwig I thought it was bitwig problem, and I tried it on Cubase. still MPE didnt worked correctly, but with different problems and now got it. thankyou verymuch!!!

I've got problems with the Seaboard in Cubase too. How did you manage to solve the issue? Can't seem to find any "force MPE mode in Cubase, as you could do in bitwig. Works perfect in stand alone mode for me too.

Check out the following page (exchanging Equator for Strobe2), which should help answer some questions: https://support.roli.com/article/using- ... th-cubase/

mrpony

Postby mrpony » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Ok, that was probably easiest and most silly solution to a problem so far. I can't believe I forgot to put the channel to "any". That did the trick and now it's working flawlessly. Seems like there's almost always an easy answer to audio problems. "Just check or uncheck that box", "Try to put this number instead of that number", "Just move the knob" etc. Thank you Lawrence_fx! Hope my stupidity can be of help to someone else.

Return to “Strobe2”