Any Way To Edit A Pattern That Is Not Currently Playing? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Any Way To Edit A Pattern That Is Not Currently Playing?

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

muleskinner

Any Way To Edit A Pattern That Is Not Currently Playing?

Postby muleskinner » Sat May 21, 2016 10:46 am

Hi,

This was my main bugbear with Geist 1 and the reason i switched to Maschine. It was mentioned that it would be addressed in G2.

Is there any way to 'lock' the view to the current pattern so you can edit a pattern that is not currently playing. A normal way of working for me would be to have one pattern for a standard beat and another for a fill, I like to loop beat+fill to hear what the fill sounds like in context but that was impossible in Geist without the view switching between each pattern as it played which I found incredibly annoying.

Can you do this in G2 - I can't see a simple way to in the demo, it still seems to switch to whatever pattern's playing.

This is really straightforward in Maschine.

I love the new GUI though!

balchie

Re: Any Way To Edit A Pattern That Is Not Currently Playing?

Postby balchie » Sat May 21, 2016 4:33 pm

+1 - How about a modifier key to lock the patter editor to a specific pattern?

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon May 23, 2016 7:56 am

Currently this isn't possible. It's a good feature request though.

muleskinner

Postby muleskinner » Mon May 23, 2016 11:14 am

OK - thanks for the 'official' response. A real shame as this is a killer for my workflow so is probably going to stop me from upgrading for the time being. I've requested this a number of times in the past and it always seems like people generally think such a feature would be a good idea. It would also seem like very simple thing to add - just a toggle to 'lock' the current view.

I'll keep an eye on the release notes for future updates!

cheers

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Mon May 23, 2016 11:26 am

+1
FYI this is a popular request for Maschine users.

dredd i knight

Postby dredd i knight » Mon May 23, 2016 2:54 pm

muleskinner wrote:Hi,

This was my main bugbear with Geist 1 and the reason i switched to Maschine. It was mentioned that it would be addressed in G2.

Is there any way to 'lock' the view to the current pattern so you can edit a pattern that is not currently playing. A normal way of working for me would be to have one pattern for a standard beat and another for a fill, I like to loop beat+fill to hear what the fill sounds like in context but that was impossible in Geist without the view switching between each pattern as it played which I found incredibly annoying.

Can you do this in G2 - I can't see a simple way to in the demo, it still seems to switch to whatever pattern's playing.

This is really straightforward in Maschine.

I love the new GUI though!

How do you do this in maschine?

muleskinner

Postby muleskinner » Mon May 23, 2016 3:44 pm

In Maschine I don't really think about 'how' you do it - it just works!

I guess it's because the pattern that you are editing doesn't automatically follow the playhead, so I would do the following...

1. Select a pattern
2. Set scene mode to 'all' (which means the entire 'song' is looped, or you could manually select a loop region)
3. Play

The events view will remain at the last selected pattern - it won't jump about all over the place as other patterns are triggered.

Normally I'm running Maschine as a plug-in so I will set scene mode to 'all' and set the cycle region in the DAW.

Sorry - my terminology may be a little off but this is the basics of it.

Return to “Geist2”