FEATURE REQUESTS - Page 2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

FEATURE REQUESTS

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

eiphen

Re: FEATURE REQUESTS

Postby eiphen » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:04 am

Hey,

I really like the concept of the song mode, but as it has been said, it may be hard to update the mix in both Geist and the DAW.

In UVI falcon there is a 'Perf' tab which is simple, yet very powerful :

falcon_ref.jpg

I made a quick concept for Geist that would use the same main ideas and which would be an alternative mode to the build-in timeline window :

geist_songMod.jpg

Enabling this mode would disable the pads midi inputs.

(At the bottom it is supposed to be a virtual keyboard but I was to lazy to design it)

I would be curious to have your thoughts about it :)

Best,
eiphen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:42 am

That would be quite a hefty feature to implement, but it's interesting, I've submitted a FR for it.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:48 am

[FR- 0014804] Make pattern step length MIDI-mappable
[FR- 0014805] Alternate colour-based arrange mode/alternative to Scenes

LYTZ1

Postby LYTZ1 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:25 pm

I'd really love to see something like XFers Nerve and Vengeance Phalanx already have:

Load Random Samples from Folder. (Per Engine)
To Randomize Drumkits. In my production Experience that has resulted in a lot of happy accidents and a lot of new creative ideas.

How it works: Theese Plugins look at the directory of the already loaded samples/kit and just load a random sample from that directory to replace the current sample.

(In addition to that, both of the above named VSTis have the ability to load the next/prev sample in that directory for the whole kit, which is also cool, but not so rewarding than a complete kit randomization. Believe me, if you have sorted sample folders, this is just too much fun to use.)

So IMHO best way would be on a per-Engine Level.Single Samples might also be nice but is not *that* useful in my experience.

Actually I think this should be a breeze to implement. Especially now, with the "Pads follow Sample Folder/Directory" already implemented. (Which is by the way one of the single most useful features to me, thanks for that.)

Best,
tL.

LYTZ1

Postby LYTZ1 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:42 pm

- Double Amount of Sends to 8.

Whats up with all of you Groovemachine-Guys sticking to 4 Sends only theese days? (Lol @MPC Rennaissance)
why all theese restrictions? 4 Sends? I mean, come on... Even the empty Space is there in the GUI. Plenty... :wink:

Best,
tL.

balchie

Postby balchie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:02 pm

I use mac so I don't have a mouse or trackpad that can do the hold left button and then press right button to switch through the predefined pad patterns. I know I can get them from the right click, insert> route but it's not as elegant as cycling through a selection. Any chance to get a keyboard modifier to allow us apple people to have the ability to cycle the patterns? :-)

Thanks,

Rich

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:22 pm

How about supporting note expression in supporting hosts.
A little about it here:
http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/mpe.html

I've heard the term MPE thrown about in the Bitwig camp and vst expression is in Cubase right? Wouldn't it be a great addition to extend the functionality of the pattern editor into the DAW itself. Alter pitches of notes, filter cutoff, force layer, etc. You could expose the editable parameters to the DAW and remove the need for the assigning of controllers to these parameters.
Last edited by FluxMachina on Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pboy

Postby pboy » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:56 am

I would love to have MIDI mapping capability also for

- Pattern Steps
- Duplicate
- Tempo Modifier

As you might understand this is to make G2 better for the kind of live performance, where you record into pattern slots from scratch using a keyboard, a Push or similar control surface (not bending over the laptop screen on stage). Having this would bring G2 a bit closer to the kind of modular sequencing you can do with Numerology.

One simple example:
Record a sequence into a 16 steps sequencer on Engine 1, select Engine 2, set its sequencer to 20 steps and record a short sequence. Voilá! Now you have a long evolving poly-rhythm going and it only took you five seconds to create!
-
Greetings from Sweden
Per
http://www.perboysen.com
MacBook Pro, Push#1, AxeFxII...

peterdh

Postby peterdh » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Big Geist fan here. I do not upgrade to Geist 2 because you changed the time stretch feature. I often try out vocal loops with folders that have the same bpm; these loops have the same bpm, but often not the same length, so Geist's automatic calculation of time stretch conversion is wrong. In Geist 1 you are able to enter the right bpm's manually and when you change the sample on a pad the time stretch settings stay the same; this works fast. In the slice windows of Geist 2 you can enter the bpm, but when you change the sample, the settings are lost. My feature request is to get Geist 1's time stretch feature back :D

sharke

Postby sharke » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:30 am

I have to say the biggest bummer for me in Geist 2 for me so far has been slices being distributed automatically across all 64 pads instead of being able to layer them onto 16 pads. I appreciate the advantages of having all those extra pads in some situations, but when it comes to chopping beats I have personally found that dealing with any more than 16 pads in the pattern editor to be unworkable. I much preferred when they were layered - the patterns were more manageable, and you could also get some great unexpected results by setting pads to random or round robin (after deleting the force layer graphs). For this reason I would be absolutely delighted if you implemented some way of being able to limit the number of pads Geist uses when loading slices onto pads automatically.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:31 pm

Thanks guys

[FR- 0014812] Option in preferences for keyboard focus in host
[FR- 0014813] Randomise sample loading
[FR- 0014814] Double number of sends to 8
[FR- 0014815] Ability to cycle through pattern inserts using keyboard modifier
[FR- 0014816] Support for APE note expression
[FR- 0014817] MIDI mapping for Pattern Steps, Duplicate and Tempo Modifier
[FR- 0014818] Ability to set BPM of sample for accurate timestretching
[FR- 0014819] More slicing flexibility; 16 pad limit with layering

seige313

Postby seige313 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:13 pm

Need more of a Piano Roll based grid. Having a fixed grid limits the ability to be creative drum wise using Geist. Also the on note repeat it seems off. Like Its not set to trigger. Like certain triplet quantizing falls off. But this should for sure be addressed. Its version 2.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:31 am

seige313 wrote:Need more of a Piano Roll based grid. Having a fixed grid limits the ability to be creative drum wise using Geist. Also the on note repeat it seems off. Like Its not set to trigger. Like certain triplet quantizing falls off. But this should for sure be addressed. Its version 2.

Geist2 is a step sequencer at its core, and there are options such as Shift that allow creative/humanized note placement. Also, note information doesn't have to be quantized when recorded from a MIDI controller. Sequencing complex pitch information is also possible with the graphs.

Could you post an example of the note repeat issues you're hearing please?

peterdh

Postby peterdh » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:10 pm

Lawrence_fx wrote:...
[FR- 0014818] Ability to set BPM of sample for accurate timestretching...
Please let it be: Ability to set BPM of sample for accurate timestretching in the main window, while these settings are kept when changing a sample on a pad. :) Oldskool Geist 1 :mrgreen:

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:17 pm

Can I ask when we might get that 'prevent pattern editor following currently playing pattern' option? It's such a massive workflow problem when working on fills, and causes so much frustration that it puts me off writing them... certainly less than ideal for the creative process :wink:

Sorry to hassle on this one, but I've been asking for almost 6 years now!
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

Return to “Geist2”