Geist 2 Preroll and "wait for midi input" not working right in Sonar - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Geist 2 Preroll and "wait for midi input" not working right in Sonar

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

scmrecordings

Geist 2 Preroll and "wait for midi input" not working right in Sonar

Postby scmrecordings » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:29 am

Version 2.0.2.5

Windows 10 Pro

Steps to reproduce:

1. Make a new project in Sonar
2. Add Geist 2 as soft synth
3. Send a midi track to Geist 2, channel 1
4. Send output of Geist 2 into input of an audio channel
5. Put some hits into some pads
6. Arm Geist 2 to record a pattern
7. Set steps to 64
8. Turn on metronome
9. Press record

I generally hear 1 metronome click and then Sonar stops responding.

Sometimes, if I mix up my steps a bit I may hear a few more clicks before crashing but that's rare.

Please fix ASAP.

Much thanks.
Last edited by scmrecordings on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

scmrecordings

Re: Geist 2 reliably crashing Sonar Platinum

Postby scmrecordings » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:43 am

With a little more testing I've determined that when I turn off preroll, there's no more crash.

Also, if I make it so preroll occurs when I'm not recording, Sonar will stop responding anytime I press play.

So to summarize, I can't get preroll to work properly in Geist 2 without making Sonar stop responding.

Any ideas?

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:16 pm

Could you please post any crash logs that have been created? Also, are you still experiencing the problem with the recent 2.0.3.14 public beta update to Geist2? Thanks

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:14 pm

Have you updated your audio interface drivers and firmware recently? (If not I suggest you do so).
Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit Sonar/Plugin?

I tried to repro with latest 64 bit Sonar and 64 bit plugin but could not.
Maybe needs more specific on steps for 3+4 and 9. In the end just created an instrument track (3+4), and I pressed record on Sonar (9).

scmrecordings

Postby scmrecordings » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, still happens with the newest public beta. Audio drivers are up to date. Unfortunately, because Sonar gets into an infinite "not responding" loop, no error logs are generated in the Event Viewer. There are two Geist 2 error logs that were generated, but I'm not sure if it was during the same kind of crash.

Here those are:

(Edit... is there a secure way I can send you these crash logs? Not sure if they have any sensitive information).

And here is some video I took, demonstrating the problem. Ran out of phone storage by the end but it you will see the crash happen.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6l9rkw5lc2ih ... 0.MOV?dl=0

CakeAlexS, you can watch the video to see what I'm doing. I'm not recording in Sonar at all... just trying to record a pattern in Geist with preroll without it crashing. To test it, you need to make sure you have preroll turned on in Geist (not Sonar). I have it set so preroll will only happen when I'm recording which is why it only crashes when I hit record first. If I turned off that option, it would crash when I press play as well.

Thanks in advance!

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Tried could not repro

Running Windows 10 64 bit, Platinum 22.5.0 Build 45 [2016.05] x64. Geist 2.0.3.14 64 bit VST.

laszlozoltan

Postby laszlozoltan » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:48 am

I have to wonder if that is somehow related to my similar issue with "alien textures" kit- when I click pads 9 or 13 it goes "not responding"- standalone or in a daw. I can trigger those pads via the step sequencer- but not click on them.

scmrecordings

Postby scmrecordings » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:56 am

I am able to reproduce this bug on two of our other studio computers (with different interfaces) as well as in Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (although in Vienna crashes just a bit different).

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:23 am

scmrecordings wrote:I am able to reproduce this bug on two of our other studio computers (with different interfaces) as well as in Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 (although in Vienna crashes just a bit different).

Could you post any recently-generated crash logs here please? Is this still occurring with the latest version (v. 2.0.3.14)?

scmrecordings

Postby scmrecordings » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:50 am

I've tested with some of the newer builds (2.0.4.13 and on) and they no longer crash when trying to use preroll but preroll still doesn't work properly in Sonar. It actually works properly now in VE Pro 5 standalone though (still not in the plugin of VE Pro in Sonar).

The problem is that if I arm the pattern editor for recording and have preroll on, I'll hear one click when I press play and then the engine will just stop until I press play a few more times. For whatever reason, preroll is just stopping the engine in Sonar on all of my studio computers.

scmrecordings

Postby scmrecordings » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:01 am

With a little more experimentation, I've found that in these newer versions, preroll is actually kind of working but it's just that the metronome is silent for all but the first click for some reason.

So I just hear a beep (using the blip metronome) and then a couple seconds later, the beat starts.

Hopefully this helps with troubleshooting!

scmrecordings

Re: Geist 2 Preroll and "wait for midi input" not working right in Sonar

Postby scmrecordings » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:38 pm

In trying to find a work around for this, I found another bug in Sonar.

When the "wait for midi input when recording" option is selected, it also waits for midi input when the record button isn't armed which disables space bar for play and makes playback cumbersome. Ideally, with this option selected, play would work completely normal except for when recording is enabled.

Also, to add to my other bug report...

In the newest version of Geist 2 as a VST in Sonar, when preroll is used in Geist 2, not only am I missing the clicks after the first in preroll, but once the beat starts, everything in the first step is muted and then the beat continues as normal.

I can create little vids to demonstrate any of this stuff if that would help.

Return to “Geist2”