More weird crashes in Cubase - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

More weird crashes in Cubase

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

vespesian

More weird crashes in Cubase

Postby vespesian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Let me start with: everything (that can be) updated, has been: Win67 64, Cubase 8.5.2, Geist2, drivers, bios, firmware, etc.

So - what's been happening is that I will create projects in Cubase, everything runs well, close and save, only to reopen said projects to find that if I try to open G2's interface I get this:

Geist2crash.png

If I press OK, the G2 interface presents a big black screen. I can, however, still play the project (!). I have eliminated, one by one, other plug-ins (usually u-he's presswerk and DMG's Limitless), to see if they are somehow interfering with Geist, to no avail. Note that in each case, I've used multi-outs. And when I try to remove Geist altogether from this project, I get a "serious exception" hard, hard crash in Cubase (the severity of which I've hardly seen before - like, I had to task manager my way out of the program :shock: )

I've tried in this in 3 separate projects, which covered a variety of versions (Cubase 8.15.5. & 8.5.2, the last two Geist updates)....this is making Geist kind of unusable atm.

Never had anything remotely like this in Geist1, btw.

EDIT - Just to add, each one of these projects involved large sliced samples, which covered all pad blanks - and I remember having to jig around with the interface size, via the lower right hand corner drag, each time in each project in order to see/work with graphs of various samples. I think there's a problem with the 'size-recall' mechanism...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CakeAlexS

Re: More weird crashes in Cubase

Postby CakeAlexS » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:56 pm

By "Win67" I am guessing you actually mean "Win 7".
Sorry to ask the question again (if I have already). If you run windows update there are definitely no more updates to install?
Also have you tried rescanning the plugins in cubase?

vespesian

Postby vespesian » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:08 pm

CakeAlexS wrote:By "Win67" I am guessing you actually mean "Win 7".
Sorry to ask the question again (if I have already). If you run windows update there are definitely no more updates to install?
Also have you tried rescanning the plugins in cubase?

Yup, I keep windows up to date religiously. Have re scanned plugins in Cubase (although Cubase does a sort of 'lite' re scan at each start up. I'm thinking more and more that this has something to do with the state of Geist's window at close, and that whatever is written by either Cubase and/or Geist isn't enough or is corrupt...so that the next fresh instance of opening the gui causes a crash. Remember, I can still run the project - I just can't open the interface, or remove it from the project. I bounced audio from my last project...worked fine. Weird, eh?

FluxMachina

Postby FluxMachina » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:40 pm

Hey there

I had the same issue in Live temporarily but everything seems ok now. It was only with one project and thankfully there was a Geist preset saved which meant the offending track could simply be deleted. I came to pretty much the same conclusion as yourself; that something had become corrupted somewhere. The crash dump mentioned an "access violation" meaning something was being a bit naughty with data and writing to places it shouldn't.

Rory_FX

Postby Rory_FX » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:21 am

Hi,

If you're experiencing crashes upon reloading of projects, can you try this:

Make sure when you save a project (in Geist or in your DAW) that you have BANK A selected on all engines.

There is a bug (fixed in forthcoming update) which caused crashes on reloading a preset (or DAW project) where current Engine was set to anything other than Bank A.

It may not be that of course, but it's worth eliminating.

Return to “Geist2”