Disappointed by Geist 2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Disappointed by Geist 2

User and tech support forum for Geist 2.

Moderator: Moderators

dawe9chris

Disappointed by Geist 2

Postby dawe9chris » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:25 am

I just upgraded from Geist and I am pretty disappointed by the new version. I like the scalable interface however slicing is such a headache now. Geist was great for slicing and so intuitive. The click and drag to pad feature was so easy to use and inserting and moving slices was a breeze. Now with Geist 2 every slice I insert is automatically locked. Having to unlock the slices to move the slices points is such a nightmare. I also like the old feature on geist where you could click the upper portion of the samples window to have the sample play back. I hope there are some updates coming, because at this point I have reverted back to using Geist 1 and feel as though my money has been wasted.

What is everyone else's opinions on the latest release?

bc232858

Re: Disappointed by Geist 2

Postby bc232858 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:25 am

I have not seen an update in a month and the bugs for this product is making it unusable.

TalmiK

Postby TalmiK » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 am

I agree with you on the fact that there are still quite a lot of small bugs. Those guys at Fxpansion are gonna hate me, I'm compiling a list. None of the bug I experience are big bugs though, they are more quircks, I shall call them quircks. On my setup anyway (win 7 x 64) it's completely usable, far better than G1 despite the quircks.
And G2 is a game changer it's at a whole other level than G1 you can do huge things you couldn't do before, but it takes a bit of used to, that I can concur. Things have changed from G1. For example you actually CAN move locked slices. You insert them go on the lock and move them. Easy as that. But different. The slicer had bugs they fixed it within a month. Spitter was missing fo a lot of users ? Included within a month. They have realeased several fixes and now it's usable fully - although again they are still a few quircks annd they might have released a bit early - if you take the time to read the manual and you learn to master the beast.
I'm personnaly very happy to have upgraded, it's a huge step up.

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:11 am

TalmiK wrote:I agree with you on the fact that there are still quite a lot of small bugs. Those guys at Fxpansion are gonna hate me, I'm compiling a list. None of the bug I experience are big bugs though, they are more quircks, I shall call them quircks.

Check the release notes first for outstanding:
http://fxpansion1.com/drew/Geist2_0_6_5 ... enotes.htm

Yup I do feel momentum has been lost unfortunately.

seige313

Postby seige313 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:42 pm

It crashes too much while searching thru sounds.. I can't even use it.. I haven't used Geist 2 in a while and thats not good for a new plug in.. The repeats aren't as smooth as Geist 1 it still feels choppy...The updates aren't fast at all.. I still feel Geist 2 should've been a totally break out new version. But its not. Its just a fairly better Geist 1 which in face they could've just updated 1 to like 1.5 or something.. Until they really listen to the people.. this plug in is going to collect dust..

CakeAlexS

Postby CakeAlexS » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:08 pm

Sticking to Geist 1. If I were a conspiracy theorist I could think development has been stalled by this takeover. Regardless it doesn't matter the reason, my excitement has gone...too many issues and feels like abandonware now. I've been pretty upbeat and patient so far and have tried to be helpful, but it feels like a dead end. Oh well not going to dwell on this onwards... Sorry fellas.

konfront

Postby konfront » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:18 am

I've found myself sticking to it despite the lull (hopefully that's all it is) and the crashiness mostly because, despite it's current shaky state, it is quite fun to use before it decides to pack up before you do.

vespesian

Postby vespesian » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:25 am

CakeAlexS wrote:Sticking to Geist 1. If I were a conspiracy theorist I could think development has been stalled by this takeover. Regardless it doesn't matter the reason, my excitement has gone...too many issues and feels like abandonware now. I've been pretty upbeat and patient so far and have tried to be helpful, but it feels like a dead end. Oh well not going to dwell on this onwards... Sorry fellas.

My thoughts exactly; my initial enthusiasm has all but evaporated.

nuvolino

Postby nuvolino » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:39 am

yeah I was all excited too but now I dont even bother loading geist most times I was hoping that the song mode would be more usable but alas I am wishing now I had saved my money :(

I was hoping that the song mode would allow me to do away with Reason which I basically only use to preview and add beats which I do my rewireing it to cubase and literally just copy and pasting loops in the arrange window but the fact that Geist doenst even have a part mute option or a select and paste option drives me crazy its so primitive it makes the flow of everything I an creating become bogged down and slow

now all I do is use geist sometimes to just preview loops and samples and once ive found one I like I then search for the loop or sample in the finder on my mac and then copy it into an audio track in cubase from the harddrive and work from it within there

hopeing that they will do something soon :(
iMac i7 5K 27" 4 GHz Intel i7 (skylake), 32GB Ram, Radeon R9 M395X 4GB, OSX 10.11.6, 2x 24"
RME Fireface • Cubase Pro 8.5 • Geist 1 & 2 • G-Speed Studio R • NHT-Pro A-10 • Nekkst K8 & K10S
MacPro 2x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 18GB Ram

konfront

Postby konfront » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:06 pm

You can take solace in the fact that you have the most advanced loop browser :wink:

loekazz

Postby loekazz » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:50 am

You can take solace in the fact that you have the most advanced loop browser :wink:

You're nothing with a bad assembled Ferrari when the screws fall off while driving...

thisissami

Postby thisissami » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:14 pm

CakeAlexS wrote:Sticking to Geist 1. If I were a conspiracy theorist I could think development has been stalled by this takeover. Regardless it doesn't matter the reason, my excitement has gone...too many issues and feels like abandonware now. I've been pretty upbeat and patient so far and have tried to be helpful, but it feels like a dead end. Oh well not going to dwell on this onwards... Sorry fellas.

Hey - I remember seeing you on the Native Instruments forums saying really good things about Geist 2 a while back. How do you feel about it today? Would you recommend it? The sense I get is that I should stay away, as FXPansion does not seem to be doing a good job of supporting the software. What are your thoughts?

stufflin

Postby stufflin » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:36 pm

vespesian wrote:

My thoughts exactly; my initial enthusiasm has all but evaporated.

I kind of feel the same. Its workable but annoying stuff keeps popping up and doesnt make me feel comfortable to invest time and effort in gesit as tool.
I could imagine that with the same team the takeover just meant more work to do.
Geist 2.0.6.5 64bit
Bitwig 1.3.12
OSX 10.11.5 13" /2,4gHz/ 8gb ram/nvidia geforce 320M 256mb

nuvolino

Postby nuvolino » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:46 am

I would like a refund.
I have basically given up on expecting anything usable from this software
have been waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and .......
no updates no promised inclusions nothing
I wish I had never wasted my money!
unusable, often crashes or causes my Daw to stall
its a major workflow killer missing the most basic functions in the song mode like drag part select and slice mute
most of the time it wont even keep up with the locator of the Daw.
when there is set loop points in the Daw it either wont loop when the Daw does or it will keep playing past the loop
or if the Daw is set to play and not loop but has loop points geist will loop when the Daw is not looping
soooo frustraiting I feel like putting my head trhough the screen.
please I want my money back.
iMac i7 5K 27" 4 GHz Intel i7 (skylake), 32GB Ram, Radeon R9 M395X 4GB, OSX 10.11.6, 2x 24"
RME Fireface • Cubase Pro 8.5 • Geist 1 & 2 • G-Speed Studio R • NHT-Pro A-10 • Nekkst K8 & K10S
MacPro 2x 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 18GB Ram

konfront

Postby konfront » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:20 pm

A similar thing happens to me when trying to slice. I take a 2-bar loop of, say 85bpm and adjust geist2's tempo accordingly. I then duplicate the number of bars on geist2 so that it fits two bars. Adding an event on the first square of the grid should play the loop easy, right? Not with geist2. It cuts off before the loop ends even though it shouldn't, even though it's the damned easiest, most basic, fundamental things machines/programs like it should do.

It's futile asking for a refund but if there's any, I want in.

EDIT:
so after sitting with if for a few days I've sort of seen where the glitch is. the loop can play (thank God) if you raise the Hold on the amp env to max. Weird that it doesn't just play automatically and a sign of GUI chaos. BUT when you max the H the display on the sample editor zooms out so far to make it impossible to inspect details. also, the macro view beneath the main sample editor window seems to be at odds with what's above. Above is zoomed out and the macro seems correct. it's as if the main window thinks that the whole sample is the sample- zoomed out to eternity plus an enormous amount of blank space is the actual entirety of the sample.

Return to “Geist2”