FXpansion Forum

new user: remote patch changes?

User and tech support for Strobe2.

Moderator: Moderators

otalgia99

new user: remote patch changes?

Postby otalgia99 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:32 am

hey everyone

i've been using strobe since dcam synth squad, but now i'm loving "2" in a whole new way.

can any of its (zillions of) patches can be called by sending a midi patch change?

from looking at the documentation my impression is, "no"..... but i could well be novicing on some valuable piece of fact.

O99
mac pro 8-core early '08 || 14 Gb RAM || DP 9 || MOTU 896 mkIII || Euphonix MC || BFD3; Maul; DCAM: SySq, Dynam; Tremor || Machfive 3

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Re: new user: remote patch changes?

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:20 pm

The eight "Quick Preset" slots can always be instantly recalled with PGM CH 1..8. Think of it as an eight-slot program change map which is saved with your DAW song/session.

Hope this helps,
Angus.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:54 pm

This struck me more as a request for scrolling through all the presets in the library rather than calling them up from a selection. Not sure if that one was possible or not, but would be handy on a lot of products!
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music
http://www.soundcloud.com/kickflip

Circuit Bent Madness
http://www.bogus-noise.co.uk

otalgia99

Postby otalgia99 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:06 pm

thanks, Angus -- that's exactly what i was looking for (and i just found the same answer in the documentation where it is clearly described, related to the quick-presets only this morning. naturally!)

that said, the ability to scroll thru would be great but i'm sure the number of presets far eclipses the number of commands (unless it used just a single command for "next" or something).

thanks, and sorry for the delayed appreciation -- we got a little bit of snow here in NYC which pulled me off of the thread.

rgrds

O99
mac pro 8-core early '08 || 14 Gb RAM || DP 9 || MOTU 896 mkIII || Euphonix MC || BFD3; Maul; DCAM: SySq, Dynam; Tremor || Machfive 3

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:19 am

Well, I got that wrong :lol:

But yeah, I was thinking a couple of straightforward Previous Patch/Next Patch commands. Previous Bank and Next Bank could be used for stepping through folders as well.

It's not something I use much, but can imagine it'd be handy!
Hackintosh Q6600 : 4Gb DDR2 : OSX Leopard 10.5.8 : Logic 9.1.5 : Mackie Onyx Satellite : UAD1 x 2 : Akai MPD32

Music

Circuit Bent Madness

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:06 pm

We have Prev and Next Patch on the up/down arrow keys now, would be quite easy to do the same over MIDI. Any suggestions for CC numbers etc.?

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:52 pm

Hmm not sure! My controller keyboard doesn't have the necessary buttons for that, and I defined custom ones on my BCR2000 for next and previous setting on plugins and Logic channel strips. Is there a standard set of commands used by other software? Or is it something that kinda got left out when the world went from hardware to software? Had a bit of a search around but not found anything yet.

Music

Circuit Bent Madness

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Just found a comment from Steve Duda at the bottom of this Reddit post.

"There is no universal way to achieve this, because preset/bank mechanism varies from VST to VST (most use their own internal format and browser).
I added remote advancing to Serum recently (user can enable CC or note control over advancing presets or osc tables/noise"

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/commen ... s_on_vsts/

So, although there's no standard approach, he's put a lot of thought into Serum and he probably chose a good set of default values. I haven't bought or tried the synth yet so don't know what he went for, but reckon it could be best to match yours with another popular synth, and maybe something will eventually become standard practice.

Music

Circuit Bent Madness

otalgia99

Postby otalgia99 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:31 am

thanks so much everyone

i'm now trying morph Strobe2 quick-presets within ABLETON LIVE (yknow the feeling that you're THIS.... CLOSE....???. not sure which emoticon one chooses for that one....)

anyway: if i can figure it out, i'll certainly let you all know how i did it. and that insane cackling sound you might hear even on the other side of the globe will indicate that i've figured out how to send morphs from an APC40.

again, thank you so much for the conversation -- i believe it was sedaka who once wrote that "starting up is hard to do", and knowledge imparted is, to me, knowledge cherished.

best
o99

otalgia99

Postby otalgia99 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:05 am

eurek-yness:

patch change commands programmed into clips on one channel in LIVE are now instructing strobe (on an adjacent channel) to select quick-preset patches.

i like it because it affords random access to any quick preset at any time (rather than restricting me only to next/previous options), and for the fact that the preset changes can be independently coupled to any note-data clips that i want strobe to play.

i don't like it because it costs an entire track to host the patch-change command clips, which makes me feel like there's some better way to do this....

i'm using an external controller (APC 40), so it's nice to be able to kind of punch up the different presets any way you want in addition to the different note clips.

the nagging feeling that there's some better method is why the cackle of glee has not yet been heard 'round the world... but for now, happily quitting while ahead.

anyway that's the news, stay tuned for weather

O99

neovalis

Postby neovalis » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:29 am

I Just bought Strobe 2 and I have to say beautiful job I am very happy with the sound quality and decision to roll all the Key Fusor features into Strobe 2's interface. I am using the synth as part of a live performance setup and really would love to see 128 preset slots which respond to MIDI program change. The 8 morphing presets are cool but ultimately limiting especially in a live performance context.

I realize it may be a bit old fashioned of me, but it really would be great to see more software developers respect MIDI standards when it comes to general parameters like "Bank Change, Program Change, Modwheel, Volume, and Pan". For live usage it is imperative that you can quickly call a program across all gear at once. It also really is a time saver when you can plug something in and have volume, pan and modwheel just work straight away. Though really the CC's are a minor issue. I can take the time to map the MIDI controller.

I really do love Strobe 2 I think the icing on the cake would be that it is rock solid with MIDI Program Change like a DX-7 or the Waldorf Blofeld or any other hardware synth.

cheers,
-J

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:20 pm

Volume and Pan are somewhat limited in usefulness as MIDI doesn't specify a loudness curve.

We had a 128-slot program change table in v1 but don't think many used it - there's a trade-off: we can have a smaller number of presets in RAM with essentially instant switching (<1ms), or we can have 128+ on disk - still mappable to Pgm Ch but would take longer to switch, probably ~100ms.

I guess what you're getting at is, 8 isn't quite enough for your live use?

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

neovalis

Postby neovalis » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:33 am

Hi Angus,
Thanks for the reply. Yes 8 is a little tough. If you figure in a 1 hour set you may go through 10 to 15 different tracks. To be honest where it is most limiting is in the writing / preproduction process when you end up forced to go to the computer every time you want to audition sounds. For people who are strictly "in the box" its not an issue. For me using hardware it is a major inconvenience if for no other reason than it breaks the continuity of workflow with all the hardware synths.

I like what you guys did with the 8 morphing presets. Would it be possible to just add on the other 120 slots which can not be morphed and take longer to load? So, programs 1-8 (morphable load instantly) programs 9-128 (no morphing longer load) all programs accessible via midi program change? While we are at it maybe a favorite system in the browser to let you add programs to your program change bank by clicking something? Then we get the best of both worlds.

As far as the CCs it's workable with minor setup so no biggee. I actually think the midi learn system is quite good in Strobe 2. If I could change anything it would be to add the ability to scale the range of MIDI CCs when using the MIDI learn function. Currently the only way I am aware of is to map to the performance controls then assign the perf controls via transmod thus allowing you to customize the range. Unless I am missing something that means you only get 2 assignable external midi controllers which are scalable. Obvious work around being to use your DAW as an intermediary to scale the controls if it has that functionality.

cheers,
-J

BTW really looking forward to Cypher2 and I really think you guys are doing a brilliant job with the V2s!

otalgia99

Postby otalgia99 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:52 am

late on the check-in here, but...

how 'bout slower-loading banks of rapidly accessible 8's?

Kickflip

Postby Kickflip » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:09 pm

I'd be happy with the slightly slower option to scroll through all the presets on the disk. One of those features that takes you away from the computer and lets you focus more on your MIDI controller as an instrument.

Music

Circuit Bent Madness

Return to “Strobe2”