Is there an upgrade from Guru to Geist price - Page 2 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Is there an upgrade from Guru to Geist price

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 am

How many of those companies do free mid-life upgrades on the scale of GURU 1.0 -> 1.5/1.6 though? Long product life cycles (our ideal is something like 4 yrs with a major mid life upgrade at 2yrs) mean that the eventual pay-upgrades are inevitably going to be more expensive than with those companies that charge small pay-upgrades every year or two.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

CALVIN01

Postby CALVIN01 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:50 am

mcanavan wrote:
CALVIN01 wrote:50% off works for me.£80 for all that extra functionality that you can use for ever!!!!

what are you complaining about.??????.

Why am I replying to a rhetorical question? :roll:

50% is higher than the industry standard, I do not like that FXpansion decided to go with the highest amount that 99% of the companies out there charge. Most companies charge 40% of the initial price or less. Do you want stats? NI charge $199 for Komplete upgrades, Komplete runs $499 retail. (Komplete is a boxed version as well, no argument that's more expensive for the manufacturer) Audio Ease charge $150 for the Speakerphone 2 update, Speakerphone retail is $459. I'm not picking and choosing here, these are plugins I own, let's see? I'm out of paid upgrades, unless you want to count Urs Heckman and Zebra 1 to Zebra 2? a whopping $20! Oh and his MFM2 was a free upgrade for those of us that bought More Feedback Machine... This is the same with the DAWs I own, upgrade Live, Logic or Digital Perfomer for about 40% or less of retail price. IE $199 for DP upgraded to version 7, DP retails for $499. Same with Logic and Live.

I have the VST-AU Wrapper sitting on my computer in v1 because FXPansion decided to charge over 50% the retail for the upgrade to v2, and I'm sure they wonder why people didn't rush out to buy it? Great products at FXPansion, but as an existing customer I get sick of being treated as a cash cow. This isn't just FXPansion, but they have one of the most expensive upgrade paths, you can't argue that.

yawn!!!!

mcanavan

Postby mcanavan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:30 pm

Angus_FX wrote:How many of those companies do free mid-life upgrades on the scale of GURU 1.0 -> 1.5/1.6 though? Long product life cycles (our ideal is something like 4 yrs with a major mid life upgrade at 2yrs) mean that the eventual pay-upgrades are inevitably going to be more expensive than with those companies that charge small pay-upgrades every year or two.
I think you have every right to sell GURU for whatever amount you want to, I think if 1.6 had seen a little more functionality from Geist, and been sold for $65 with the new upgrade coming in at $65 I wouldn't have blinked.
Personally I love plugins over embedded code, I own Logic, Live, and Digital Performer, (bought over the course of 14 years) and like the portability and more dedicated approach FXPansion and U-He etc. take, but at some point the upgrade cycle can seem pretty brutal.

and please take it as a backhanded compliment, I want to upgrade, but I have to set limits on myself with software or I'll go broke buying music items that actually devalue at an astonishing rate.

torque138

Postby torque138 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:51 pm

Angus_FX wrote:How many of those companies do free mid-life upgrades on the scale of GURU 1.0 -> 1.5/1.6 though? Long product life cycles (our ideal is something like 4 yrs with a major mid life upgrade at 2yrs) mean that the eventual pay-upgrades are inevitably going to be more expensive than with those companies that charge small pay-upgrades every year or two.

reasonable point.

jasonh

Postby jasonh » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:00 pm

I'm also a bit aggrieved - I bought GURU in April of this year, and now just a few months later I'm being stiffed for another £80 + VAT which seems a bit harsh.

I found the DAW integration with GURU to be a bit clunky anyway, so I'm taking this as a cosmic hint that I should shop around, maybe try more demos this time.

mayur_FX

Postby mayur_FX » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Hi.. GURU was released in 2005 - that makes it almost 6 years old. This crossgrade fee for Geist is the first time we've charged for any updates since 2005. Of course, the mileage when you purchase a 5-year old product is always going to vary.

Sorry you feel that way but there's no 'stiffing' going on here. There is a demo of Geist available to try out.
Mayur Maha
FXpansion Audio [http://www.fxpansion.com]
Please do not PM me - use the support ticket system instead

jasonh

Postby jasonh » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm sorry if my post wasn't clear. I wasn't referring to how long GURU had been in existence, I was referring to the interval that had elapsed between me buying it and the upgrade being announced.

I'll withdraw the word "stiffing" and substitute "inflexible upgrade pricing" if you like :D

adoran

Postby adoran » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:36 pm

mayur_FX wrote:Hi.. GURU was released in 2005 - that makes it almost 6 years old. This crossgrade fee for Geist is the first time we've charged for any updates since 2005. Of course, the mileage when you purchase a 5-year old product is always going to vary.

Sorry you feel that way but there's no 'stiffing' going on here. There is a demo of Geist available to try out.

Let's not forget this 5 year old product had seemingly been in beta for the past year suggesting that development was active during this time.. little did we know it was giest that had been in development during this time and someone just forgot to release/build a stable (non-beta) version of guru 1.6.12.

It's not like FXP was forthcoming with any info to suggest otherwise, or even hint at a next generation version was going to be available until only just recently..

Just looked at the GURU product page and now this is there:
Legacy Product: GURU is no longer available

So is GURU 1.6.12 even going to get a 'final' release for those not willing/wanting to upgrade to giest?

Return to “GURU”