Forum

FXpansion Forum - Beta

Splitting Grooves in BFD Eco

Support for BFD Eco Acoustic Drum Module

Moderators: Drew_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, Moderators

stevenew

Splitting Grooves in BFD Eco

Postby stevenew » Mon May 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi,

I have been using BFD Eco for a few months now and really love it but have been having this issue for a while. When splitting a groove in the groove track I imagined that, for example splitting a 2 bar groove in the middle would split the groove in to one part containing the 1st bar information and one part containing the 2nd bar information, but what I get is 2 parts containing only the information from the 1st bar the 2nd bar information is gone.

I also find that dragging the edge of say a two bar groove does the same, no matter if I drag from left or right to the middle I only get the 1st bar information. I am using BFD Eco version 1.0.1. 27.

Thanks

Steve

rob_fx (ex-FX)
Left to roam the Cursed Earth

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Tue May 03, 2011 11:31 am

Hi Steve,

BFD Eco's groove engine is very crude by design. It's really nothing more than a try-out area. Because the user can't see the contents of a groove, the drum track editing was made to be very simple so that the user couldn't loose track of the phase of a groove after truncating it. This is why the phase is always anchored to the left of a clip.

If you need to do anything more sophisticated, like chopping a groove into two halves, the intention is for you to drag the groove out to your host as a MIDI clip. This way you can edit the content of the groove in whichever way you like with a much more competent tool set.

-Rob.
"I was great engineer once, but then I took an arrow to the knee..."

stevenew

Postby stevenew » Tue May 03, 2011 11:47 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply, glad to know I wasn't doing anything stupid:-)

I use the drag groove to Midi track once I have setup a basic groove in Eco, it would just be nice once in a while to be able to quickly audition parts of different grooves together before dragging to a Midi track. I guess at some point I will upgrade to BFD 2 but I am worried about the CPU hit on my 2.6 core2duo iMac, which is the reason I bought Eco.

Thanks

Steve

rob_fx (ex-FX)

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Wed May 04, 2011 4:05 pm

Actually it won't be the CPU hit so much as the HDD hit that might be a problem. For BFD2 we essentially mandate that you stream the data from a fast, dedicated drive. The admin machine I'm using now is a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo iMac and has no problem running BFD2 whatsoever. The data drive is a FW800 external HDD made by Lacie.

stevenew

Postby stevenew » Wed May 04, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi Rob,

Good to know the CPU won't be a problem with BFD2 but there is not much I can do about an external drive. I only have one FW port (FW800) and I run my MOTU Traveler of that, the Traveler does have two FW ports(FW400) but I run a MOTU 828 of the spare one. I do have a spare Seagate external FW800 drive but nowhere to plug it in:-(

I think if I chained iMac+FW800 drive+MOTU Traveler+MOTU 828 I would get problems, I seem to recall the MOTUs don't like anything before them in the chain.

I can't really think of anyway round it for now. Any ideas?

Thanks

Steve

rob_fx (ex-FX)

Postby rob_fx (ex-FX) » Thu May 05, 2011 12:13 pm

It's a bit of a stretch, but have you considered swapping the internal system drive for an SSD?

stevenew

Postby stevenew » Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi Rob,

No I had not thought of that but considering the price of a decent size SSD plus taking the iMac apart to put it in I'm sure would invalidate my Applecare, I don't think its an option at the moment. I guess for now upgrading to BFD2 will have to wait unless anyone has any other ideas. Of course if I had the money (which I don't:-( a new Thunderbolt iMac would solve the problem.

Steve

Return to “BFD Eco”