HH AutoPedal Doesn't Choke Hat - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

HH AutoPedal Doesn't Choke Hat

All about how to use edrums with BFD / BFD2

Moderators: Drew_fx, john emrich, Mully_FX, Angus_FX, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, Moderators

secherm

HH AutoPedal Doesn't Choke Hat

Postby secherm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Help. I am using a Zendrum w/expression pedal for the variable HiHat. In the most recent version of BFD2 an Auto Pedal event is an option. When BFD receives a "1" or a "closed" event from the expression pedal, it automatically will play a Hat Pedal (foot chick) sound. This is awesome because it saves me from having to buy a dedicated "hi hat foot pedal trigger". Problem is I can't seem to get BFD to choke the previously played HH sound like a real HH would do when the pedal is played. Anyone else encountered this or can I get some help from the FXPANSION Ninjas?

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby john emrich » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:11 pm

Couple of questions for you.....

Are you using the variable articulation for the trigger on your Zendrum?

Is your Zendrum a Z4 and is the expression pedal plugged into it? If so, what kind of pedal?

What CC # are you using for that Variable message? Is it the same # that is in the HH CC box on the MIDI Keymapping page?

John

secherm

Postby secherm » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:26 pm

john emrich wrote:Couple of questions for you.....

Are you using the variable articulation for the trigger on your Zendrum?

Is your Zendrum a Z4 and is the expression pedal plugged into it? If so, what kind of pedal?

What CC # are you using for that Variable message? Is it the same # that is in the HH CC box on the MIDI Keymapping page?

John

Hi John. I have an LT Z4 with an expression pedal plugged into it set to cc#4 and the BFD keymap is set to receive the same. The pedal is an Ernie Ball VP Jr 6181 25k ohm volume pedal. I am using one trigger for tip articulations and one for shank.

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby john emrich » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:07 pm

What do you have for the HH Choke Fade settings on the Preferences Page/Engine settings?

secherm

Postby secherm » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:35 am

john emrich wrote:What do you have for the HH Choke Fade settings on the Preferences Page/Engine settings?

I am attaching screen grabs of the engine settings and the session settings. Thanks for taking the time to help. You are the best John.
Attachments
Session_Settings.png
This is a screen grab of my Session Settings
Session_Settings.png (43.92 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
Engine_Settings.png
This is the screen grab of my Engine Settings
Engine_Settings.png (61.52 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby john emrich » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:20 am

Hang on.....

In your first post you mention a setting of 1 triggering the closed HH. I think that you may have your pedal set up backwards. Closed should be up around 127, or wherever your closed setting is set with the slider.

You might also try lowering the value of Your HH Closed Tip Choke Fade.

John

secherm

Postby secherm » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:29 pm

john emrich wrote:Hang on.....

In your first post you mention a setting of 1 triggering the closed HH. I think that you may have your pedal set up backwards. Closed should be up around 127, or wherever your closed setting is set with the slider.

You might also try lowering the value of Your HH Closed Tip Choke Fade.

John

Sorry I wrote that backwards. Should have been closed is 127.

secherm

Postby secherm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:32 am

So after our conversation I was able to go into the project and I deleted all hi hat keymap info. I then reassigned the variable shank to one note and the variable tip to another and clicked the "auto pedal event" tab. All is working now. I think I must have been triggering a ghost hi hat note with the zendrum and it was causing some problems with the variable behavior of the hi hat in BFD. Can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me with this. You are an EDrumming Jedi.

Mike

john emrich
Righteous Drum Lord

Postby john emrich » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:41 am

Glad it is working out for you. Have fun!

John

AudiosBoo

How to connect Ernie Ball VP Jr 6181 to a Zendrum?

Postby AudiosBoo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi, I've been trying to figure out how to connect a pedal like an Ernie Ball 6181 to a Z4 Zendrum for longer than I like to think about. I'd -really- appreciate knowing what other hardware is required and what connects to what. For instance, what do the input and output of the 6181 connect to? I'm guessing the 6181 output goes to the Zendrum cc pedal input but then what connects to the 6181 input? It's a passive pedal so I assume both the input and output must connect to something (yes???)

I sure wish the Zendrum documentation had a couple of diagrams showing sample configurations.

Rick

secherm

Re: How to connect Ernie Ball VP Jr 6181 to a Zendrum?

Postby secherm » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:03 pm

richardbrown wrote:Hi, I've been trying to figure out how to connect a pedal like an Ernie Ball 6181 to a Z4 Zendrum for longer than I like to think about. I'd -really- appreciate knowing what other hardware is required and what connects to what. For instance, what do the input and output of the 6181 connect to? I'm guessing the 6181 output goes to the Zendrum cc pedal input but then what connects to the 6181 input? It's a passive pedal so I assume both the input and output must connect to something (yes???)

I sure wish the Zendrum documentation had a couple of diagrams showing sample configurations.

Rick

With the Z4 it's pretty simple. You just connect a quarter inch guitar cable to the "OUT" jack of the Volume pedal. The other end goes to the CC input on the Z4. There is documentation on this, pretty sure, in the Z4 manual. There is info in there on how to calibrate the pedal as well. You can have the Z4 then output any controller number messages you wish. Then you assign that number to the Hi Hat in BFD.

AudiosBoo

Postby AudiosBoo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 pm

Many thanks, Secherm.

I had looked at the Zendrum (ZD) Z4 manual and it says: "The Z4 allows for Variable Input Devices such as hi-hat and volume pedals to send changes that can be used to modify sounds. The Zendrum must read the output voltage and polarity, then scale the value from 0-127 in MIDI to have any changes that are read control a function, so you must first calibrate the input device and train it to operate properly."

The part about "The Zendrum must read the output voltage and polarity..." threw me because the Ernie Ball pedal is passive. It doesn't output any voltage without a voltage applied to its input connection and, without such a signal, trying to read the polarity of its output is nonsensical.

For the sake of anyone else that might read this looking for help: as Secherm said, just connecting the output of the pedal to the "continuous controller pedal input" (on the LHS of the ZD LT) worked for me. After I connected it and with just the default BFD2 settings, I could see MIDI events popping up in BFD2's MIDI log every time I moved the pedal. Next, I calibrated the pedal using the procedure in the ZD manual, which was very straightforward. Next, I changed the "CC Message Number" on the Zendrum to "4" so that it matched the "CC ID" number in BFD2 that controlled the "Hihat Height" parameter. The screen capture below shows where I found the number "4" to use (note "Auto" is selected on the LHS).

Next, I went to the key map page (shown in the screen capture below); I tapped on an unassigned ZD pad after which the matching BFD2 keyboard key turned light blue; I dragged the hihat icon over to the key and selected/assigned the "Variable tip" articulation; and then the "Variable zone slider" became active (i.e. no longer greyed-out). To my delight and surprise, everything then worked. When the pedal was moved, different regions of the slider would temporarily turn red (sorry, I couldn't capture the red highlight using Windows Snipping Tool) and the hihat articulation changed.

Hope this helps someone. Setting this gear up is pretty scary at times.

Rick

secherm

Postby secherm » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:30 pm

richardbrown wrote:Many thanks, Secherm.

I had looked at the Zendrum (ZD) Z4 manual and it says: "The Z4 allows for Variable Input Devices such as hi-hat and volume pedals to send changes that can be used to modify sounds. The Zendrum must read the output voltage and polarity, then scale the value from 0-127 in MIDI to have any changes that are read control a function, so you must first calibrate the input device and train it to operate properly."

The part about "The Zendrum must read the output voltage and polarity..." threw me because the Ernie Ball pedal is passive. It doesn't output any voltage without a voltage applied to its input connection and, without such a signal, trying to read the polarity of its output is nonsensical.

For the sake of anyone else that might read this looking for help: as Secherm said, just connecting the output of the pedal to the "continuous controller pedal input" (on the LHS of the ZD LT) worked for me. After I connected it and with just the default BFD2 settings, I could see MIDI events popping up in BFD2's MIDI log every time I moved the pedal. Next, I calibrated the pedal using the procedure in the ZD manual, which was very straightforward. Next, I changed the "CC Message Number" on the Zendrum to "4" so that it matched the "CC ID" number in BFD2 that controlled the "Hihat Height" parameter. The screen capture below shows where I found the number "4" to use (note "Auto" is selected on the LHS).

Next, I went to the key map page (shown in the screen capture below); I tapped on an unassigned ZD pad after which the matching BFD2 keyboard key turned light blue; I dragged the hihat icon over to the key and selected/assigned the "Variable tip" articulation; and then the "Variable zone slider" became active (i.e. no longer greyed-out). To my delight and surprise, everything then worked. When the pedal was moved, different regions of the slider would temporarily turn red (sorry, I couldn't capture the red highlight using Windows Snipping Tool) and the hihat articulation changed.

Hope this helps someone. Setting this gear up is pretty scary at times.

Rick

Glad it worked out Rick. One more thing to add. You will notice on the Keymap page of BFD2 that when you are looking at the HiHat window there will be an option for AUTO Pedal. I was using this for a while. If you are using only a volume/expression pedal for the HiHat Open Close feature instead of an actual HiHat midi pedal then the AUTO pedal event will close the hihat when you have the volume pedal all the way down ( value of 1). This is how you can do open and close sounds and "foot chicks". Not sure how clear that was..
:oops:

Return to “Edrumming with BFD”