macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility - Page 10 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

General FX news, discussion, and a place to speak your mind

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

Norbert Mueller

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby Norbert Mueller » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:34 pm

Ok, we probably shouldn't buy anything from Roli/FXpansion anymore.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... h-5m-debt/

This is so sad!

Pughey

Postby Pughey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:25 pm

Norbert Mueller wrote:Ok, we probably shouldn't buy anything from Roli/FXpansion anymore.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... h-5m-debt/

This is so sad!

I couldn't read the whole article without subscription, but the few paragraphs I could read make alarming news.

May go some way to explain the perceived lack of resources on the Catalina update and therefore the unacceptable length of time to deliver anything for us BFD3 users.

I really hope it doesn't spell the end, as I've been a strong advocate for this software since the BFD2 days - and like everyone else - have invested hundreds of pounds along the way.

I'm not sure I can wait much longer though - I've had several drum projects on hold for months now - just as well it's only a hobby.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
System:
BFD3 on Macbook Pro 13 retina
Reaper/Harrison Mixbus
Alesis DM10 customised & Alesis I/O trigger
Acoustic kit in the garage, in cases :(

onlyleura

Postby onlyleura » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:23 pm

Full text of the article, which hopefully ROLI/FXpansion will permit to stay here.

---------------

Dud note as music firm Roli faces cash crunch

The Sunday Telegraph17 Nov 2019By James Titcomb and James Cook

A BRITISH start-up whose hi-tech musical instruments are used by artists including Stevie Wonder, Grimes and the composer Hans Zimmer is facing a cash crunch as it struggles to repay millions in debt.

Roli, which has raised more than $130m (£101m) in debt and equity financing to develop innovative rubber keyboards and other electronic instruments, failed to repay $6.6m worth of loans to Silicon Valley investor Triplepoint this summer.

Last week, Triplepoint wrote down the value of its stake in Roli by 95pc and the value of its debt to 75 cents on the dollar. Triplepoint said it was working with Roli and other investors to return the company to profitability but said there had been a “meaningful reduction in value”.

Roli has been seen as one of London’s most innovative hardware companies and has attracted a string of high-profile investors including singer Pharrell Williams, Sony and Founders Fund, the tech investor started by Facebook backer Peter Thiel.

A Roli spokesman said that Triplepoint’s writedowns were a “common market practice within the high tech space related to the timing of corporate transactions, growth rates, and other factors”. The company’s latest accounts show that it made a £22m loss in 2017 on revenues of £10.4m.

Sajal Srivastava, Triplepoint’s chief investment officer, told investors that Roli had seen “delays in its fundraising activities as well as general performance below plan”.

The company has been renegotiating its debt and taking out short-term loans of three months or less in the process. Its products have been removed from Apple’s online UK store, although Roli says it is “in discussions with Apple”. Documents filed with Companies House show that Roli chief executive Roland Lamb’s stake has dropped below 25pc and three members of the board have stood down.

A company spokesman said that Roli “is turning its focus to profitability rather than growth” and is reorganising its senior management and board. The reduction of Mr Lamb’s stake was down to previous fundraising, he said. Earlier this year, Roli raised £1.6m from a crowdfunding campaign for its new light-up keyboard Lumi.

plectrumboy

Postby plectrumboy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:55 pm

mickgormaley wrote:It's been 8 months since any BFD update and 4 since the announcement that they are working on getting a Catalina ready version. Roli has killed this app. I have hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours invested in this program which I can only assume that in the near future will be dumped by Roli. Roli needs to give back control to Fxpansion so they can get back to making and maintaining BFD. This was everyone's fear when Roli grabbed FX to get Cypher and Strobe. That's all they wanted. They screwed BFD and their base.

Sad news about the financial dire straits - good luck & fingers crossed FXpansion. The above post resonates now, in terms of older (keyboard) software being updated for Catalina before BFD3.

Steve.

Postby 6120 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:39 pm

Can anyone from Fxpansion management come onto this forum and give us the current development position of BFD3 as it's been two weeks since the last update from Laurence_fx?

Many of us are long-term users of BFD (me since 2005) who have goodwill to the company and would like to continue using an award winning, flexible, and great sounding drum instrument but are unable to use it in any real way at the moment in Catalina.

Even if it's the case that you've reached a dead-end and can't continue with any BFD3 work (which none of us hope) it would give us some idea of what we've got to do next but having no recent information is not a good way to treat your loyal users.

I look forward to hearing from you either today or tomorrow at the latest.
Terry, London.

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:46 pm

Hi all,

We're still continuing in earnest to get these updates out as soon as possible. There have been multiple hurdles since we began the work to update the BFD3 family for Catalina support, some of which we did not anticipate that have increased the amount of work required to get everything supported, and meant that we haven't been able to release an update as early as we'd hoped.

We are really close to having an update ready to share with you, and more than ever we appreciate your patience and understanding. We'd like to apologise to all users affected by these delays, and we really hope that you're not having to wait too much longer. We would love to release an update today, but there's a few final things we need to tie up before it's ready - we'll have something to share as soon as possible.

Thanks

slirak

Postby slirak » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:41 pm

Well. I'm afraid my patience and - worse - confidence is over. I've forked up for Superior Drummer and spent the weekend downloading it. :|

jos@greater.nl

Postby jos@greater.nl » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:15 pm

Lawrence_fx wrote:Hi all,

We're still continuing in earnest to get these updates out as soon as possible. There have been multiple hurdles since we began the work to update the BFD3 family for Catalina support, some of which we did not anticipate that have increased the amount of work required to get everything supported, and meant that we haven't been able to release an update as early as we'd hoped.

We are really close to having an update ready to share with you, and more than ever we appreciate your patience and understanding. We'd like to apologise to all users affected by these delays, and we really hope that you're not having to wait too much longer. We would love to release an update today, but there's a few final things we need to tie up before it's ready - we'll have something to share as soon as possible.

Thanks

few final things .... That sounds like days, right?

drivepilot

Postby drivepilot » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:38 pm

I'm as inconvenienced as anyone but some of you ppl are being super dramatic about this, and being nasty isn't going to help the release drop faster.

Catelina is a big pain, even on the user side & even more than would be expected. I can imagine a software rework might have to be pretty comprehensive to address the update.

Hope this drops soon too but only positive vibes from me to the BFD team. Appreciate the work

drivepilot

Postby drivepilot » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:06 pm

Yea -- Super long time user, & havent had any issues ever that required a forum post- which is why I feel like some extra patience might be afforded to the devs working on this update I guess. I would hate to be under the gun and have a bunch of artists waiting on you and then have some of them be vocally ungrateful and making threats to change software. It would make me want to work LESS hard on getting it done.

Anyway, that's all. 2 posts now ha

Shane7 wrote:Its seems you have waited 15 years for your first post, you are a patient man I say, very patient :P

kafka

Postby kafka » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:43 pm

Where are we on the Catalina update? I've been a complete FXpansion/BFD devotee since V1, and it's an essential tool for me. I've invested a lot in BFD and BFD expansion packs, both from FXpansion and 3rd parties. I really need this update so I can get some work done.

What time frame are we looking at? This is a major issue for me.

Thanks.

plectrumboy

Postby plectrumboy » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:46 pm

'The Sound of Silence' - Simon & Garfunkel.

'Wake me up before you go-go' - Wham.

'Who Knows?' - Band of Gypsies. (My favourite)

'Is there life on Mars?' - David Bowie.

I still have my fingers crossed for the staff at FXpansion and wish you all well....

Steve.

williambogard

Postby williambogard » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:16 am

I made the apparent mistake of purchasing BFD3 after I upgraded to Catalina, on assurance from Roli support that an install fix would be available "soon". This was last November! (I wanted to buy BFD3 on sale on Black Friday, and Roli would not issue me a coupon at the sale price to purchase when the update became available). So six days ago I requested a refund. I received an automated reply that a real person would get back to me soon. I sent another message yesterday. No reply so far. What is going on? I paid for software that I cannot install or use, no promised update seems forthcoming, and no one at support is responding to my refund request?

Damagical

Postby Damagical » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:52 am

All I want for christmas is BFD wooden snares expansion.. And BFD3 updated and working perfectly

crescentmoon52

Postby crescentmoon52 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:43 pm

My troubles have been with BFD2 and Mojave... It does not get along with UAD plugins for some reason in digital performer and crashes. Ironically I have been able to use BFD3 on Catalina but the icon is now generic. At least it does not crash....but there could be other issues as well. I just didn't have time to pursue them in depth. I may have to move to another drum plugin soon if the update does not happen.

Return to “General Discussion”