macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility - Page 11 - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

General FX news, discussion, and a place to speak your mind

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

williambogard

Re: macOS 10.15 Catalina compatibility

Postby williambogard » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:35 am

roli did finally get back to me and seemed amenable to a refund if I still wanted one. at least that was good news. support did also give me the following info for anyone still wondering about the update -- "We've completed hardended runtime, notarisation and stapling of the BFD3 app and will have this repackaged very soon as an available update, and the expansions are currently in the process of being repackaged, a task that required an update from 32 to 64bit as well as the usual notarisation process - this is across the entire BFD expansion range, which is over 1TB of data in total"

kafka

Postby kafka » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:45 am

Roli told me they're a few weeks away, and went into some detail on where they where they are in the process, which I won't get into detail here. I'll just summarize by saying that I'm optimistic.

My issue on Catalina is the security permissions. It's the repeated "BFD3.app wants to access files in your Download folder" and "... on a Removable volume". I was able to get things functional in standalone. It's not good, but it works. I haven't tried in a plugin yet, but I'll live.

If you're running into this issue, open your Privacy settings just before you open BFD3, and unlock it. You may have to toggle the Download Folder and Remote Volume buttons once or twice, and also let BFD3 prompt you to allow it. But if you do that, the setting will probably stick a lot sooner than pressing the trackpad 100 times.

Damagical

Postby Damagical » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:30 am

I think once BFD3 and expansions are upgraded, FXpansion should have a 50% off sale to celebrate! (and compensate, lol)

Note to FXpansion: Make sure the Sphere expansion goes on sale! I've been WAITING for months to get that! (insert sympathy here)

plectrumboy

Postby plectrumboy » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:28 am

williambogard wrote:roli did finally get back to me and seemed amenable to a refund if I still wanted one. at least that was good news. support did also give me the following info for anyone still wondering about the update -- "We've completed hardended runtime, notarisation and stapling of the BFD3 app and will have this repackaged very soon as an available update, and the expansions are currently in the process of being repackaged, a task that required an update from 32 to 64bit as well as the usual notarisation process - this is across the entire BFD expansion range, which is over 1TB of data in total"

Good to hear that Roli are honouring their earlier commitments to you.

However, in this age of social media I find it baffling, for example, that a couple of sentences passed on to one customer couldn't be easily put on a website and updated from time to time. This would surely have allayed the fears of a number of customers that FXPansion was unable/unwilling to update BFD3 and that this popular and venerable drum system was a casualty of Roli acquisition/business pressures/whatever. My head has been turned by Superior Drummer 3. I really hope BFD3 stays with us but for now I'm investing some time in learning a new drum sampler. BFD's future update will be a nice bonus, if it happens.

Fingers crossed as always for all at FXPansion.

Steve.

eigens

Postby eigens » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:04 am

fxpansion hurry the f up with BFD3 on Catalina. If its just a security file folder issue then fix it. If its somethings more serious let us know. BFD3 does not work on Catalina and its been the longest wait from any serious developer/vendor.

Damagical

Postby Damagical » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:29 pm

It's getting closer.. I just knows it!

Norbert Mueller

Postby Norbert Mueller » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Damagical wrote:It's getting closer.. I just knows it!

It is getting closer since December ... :?

crescentmoon52

Postby crescentmoon52 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:36 pm

This has gone on far too long.... 2 to 3 months is reasonable for an update but 6.... :(

Damagical

Postby Damagical » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:27 pm

I'm hoping its ready before coronavirus quarantines kick in.. so we have something fun to do.

Norbert Mueller

Postby Norbert Mueller » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:30 am

I hope Roli/FXpansion won't use the coronavirus as an excuse.

kafka

Postby kafka » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:41 pm

Norbert Mueller wrote:I hope Roli/FXpansion won't use the coronavirus as an excuse.

Hope not. Coders can work from home. But that would be pretty counter-productive anyway. BFD3 is their flagship product. I don't know how they can sell any without Catalina compatibility.

ChrisManuel

Postby ChrisManuel » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:38 pm

I just updated to Catalina. I checked the System Report to confirm that all the apps I count on are 64-bit including BFD3. I checked the system requirements for BFD3 as published by fxpansion—no mention of the VST being 32 bit and not compatible with Catalina. If only I'd found this thread first. Sigh.

So, I downloaded the latest installer for v 3.3.0.44 hoping the VST would be 64 bit. The installer is 32 bit so no joy there. I installed the new VST from the installer package into the Library/Audio/Plug-ins/VST folder, replacing the previous version. Still no joy.

Fxpansion folks I suggest you update the FAQ ( https://fxpansion.com/support/faq/bfd3/ ) to reflect the fact that BFD3's VST plug-in doesn't work with Catalina.

In the meantime I'm able to use BFD3 and Cubase 10.5 by opening Audio MIDI Setup and turning on the IAC driver and sending from Cubase's MIDI track out to IAC and BFD3's in to IAC. This requires that I create a new MIDI track and copy all the parts from the BFD3 instrument track to the MIDI track. I'm not super confident of timing using the IAC solution but at least I can continue working with BFD3.

Is there a page I've missed that lists the progress of the Catalina compatibility project or is this thread it?

Lawrence_fx

Postby Lawrence_fx » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:44 am

Norbert Mueller wrote:I hope Roli/FXpansion won't use the coronavirus as an excuse.

We're pleased to say that COVID-19 hasn't affected any development/testing; we're continuing progress on these updates, which are now closer than they've ever been. We are aiming to release public beta updates to BFD3 and the BFD3 Core Library this week, with updates to all expansions to follow shortly, assuming no further issues arise - we'll let you know if any further delays are likely to occur.

Thanks again all for your patience and understanding.

Pughey

Postby Pughey » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:17 pm

Lawrence_fx wrote:

We're pleased to say that COVID-19 hasn't affected any development/testing; we're continuing progress on these updates, which are now closer than they've ever been. We are aiming to release public beta updates to BFD3 and the BFD3 Core Library this week, with updates to all expansions to follow shortly, assuming no further issues arise - we'll let you know if any further delays are likely to occur.

Thanks for the update Lawrence - that's really positive news.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
System:
BFD3 on Macbook Pro 13 retina
Reaper/Harrison Mixbus
Alesis DM10 customised & Alesis I/O trigger
Acoustic kit in the garage, in cases :(

Nelifedo

Postby Nelifedo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:19 pm

Lawrence_fx wrote:

Holy sh*t. Better deliver.

Return to “General Discussion”