preferences/ engine/hihat closed tip choke fade setting - applying to shank as well - bug? - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

preferences/ engine/hihat closed tip choke fade setting - applying to shank as well - bug?

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

rak

preferences/ engine/hihat closed tip choke fade setting - applying to shank as well - bug?

Postby rak » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:30 am

Hi fxpansion and everyone,

hihat closed tip choke fade setting:
this value seems to have an effect on the choke fade time when using a shank hihat articulation as well e.g. when playing an open tip hihat which is quickly followed by a closed shank hihat key this value affects the choke fade time.
Why, I thought this setting should only be valid for a closed tip hihat articulation like it says in the manual?

thanks for clarification!

regards,rak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:58 am

From a hihat physics point of view, the advent of either closed hihat note, either tip or shank, indicates the plates are touching, and a faster, special fade time should be used. That was the intention with that parameter. I think that's just a mislabelling on our (devs) part, which has propagated into doco. Will report back...
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

rak

Postby rak » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:04 am

thanks for the reply!

But I think it was labled the same in BFD2 and work correctly there (affected only closed tip hihat triggering) if I'm not mistaken.

regards,rak

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:20 am

BFD 2.3.1.6 - hihat pedal choke fade controls the fade of a hihat open after a tip and shank hit. Without getting into the code again, I'd say that was a bug that slipped through as the pedal and hihat closed (tip/shank) fade are usually very similar, and short. In BFD3, hihat close tip choke fade is properly separate to pedal choke fade, and SHOULD actually be labelled Hihat Closed Choke Fade, as it governs tip and shank.
SKoT McDonald

CTO FXpansion]

rak

Postby rak » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:48 am

SKoT_FX wrote:..., and SHOULD actually be labelled Hihat Closed Choke Fade, as it governs tip and shank.

fyi: I remember from the BFD2 manual that it gave an explanation that a 'closed shank hihat choke fade time is seen morelike an open hihat articulation as the sound is more ' a bit open than just closed''.
I mention this just because you might have to doublecheck those definitions of 'closed shank hihat' in the BFD3 manual as well then.

regards,rak

Return to “BFD3”