Installing GURU on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger + 10.5 Leopard, MacBooks etc. - Fxpansion.com

Forum

FXpansion Forum

Installing GURU on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger + 10.5 Leopard, MacBooks etc.

Support for GURU

Moderators: Drew_BFDTeam, Andreas_FX, Rory_FX, Rhi_FX, Paul_fx, clare_fx, SKoT_FX, Steve_FX, john emrich, Mully_FX, mayur_FX, Angus_FX, Moderators

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Installing GURU on Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger + 10.5 Leopard, MacBooks etc.

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:19 pm

Hi all,

This topic is a quick tech note on how to get GURU v1.5.x up and running on newer Macs (i.e. Intel), and older Macs running newer operating systems.

If you're already up and running, you can safely ignore it!

PROBLEM:-
Because the GURU installer on the DVDs pre-dates Intel Macs and OS X 10.4, it is not compatible with these systems. Installing GURU straight from the DVDs will cause a non-functional GURU. Installing the v1.5.x update over the top will restore only some of the functionality, or in some cases none at all.

SOLUTION:-
1: Remove the "GuruDATA" folder from your hard drive. This is usually either at /GuruDATA or /Library/GuruDATA.

2: Remove any GURU files from Applications, and from your plug-in folders:
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST
/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins

3: Download and run the GURU v1.5.x installer from the Web site.

4: Insert the DVD, and COPY the GuruDATA folder to your hard drive (anywhere will do). Do NOT run the installer on the DVD - just copy over the data folder.

5: Run GURU. If it prompts you for its data path, point it at the new GuruDATA folder you just copied to your drive. If it doesn't, but you still can't see or load any sounds, go to the Options panel in GURU and click on the data path display in the options screen. Then point it at the GuruDATA folder, quit GURU and relaunch it. After that, you should be good to go.

6: If you're still having problems, quit GURU, delete its preferences file:-
/Users/(you)/Library/Preferences/com.fxpansion.guru.plist
.. and launch it again.

Hope this helps,
Angus.
Last edited by Angus_FX on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- Angus F. Hewlett - CEO - FXpansion --
Twitter | YouTube
Synth Squad | BFD Eco

borg64

Postby borg64 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:15 am

I remember having a similar problem in Logic 7.1 with another Audio Unit effect plug-in (Logic displayed error codes pointing to it when booting), so parts of this checklist might also come in handy for solving future AU troubles you might bump into. As far as I know, the 'fixing it' part was pretty much identical in that case.

in2sky

Postby in2sky » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:54 pm

woow you're good!
it was something like: I started the FontExplorer app, I choosed to clean my system's Font folder...
after it's cleaned, the installer worked!
thank you so much!!!! You're really good I must confess!

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

serial number dialog on Leopard

Postby Angus_FX » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 am

Hi again,

Here is what to do if GURU won't remember its serial number on OS X Leopard:-

1:- Open up you Preferences folder (home/Library/Preferences), locate the file "com.FXpansion.Guru.plist"
2:- Open your Applications folder
3:- Drag the plist file on to TextEdit
4:- Delete any text in the file already, replace it with the following:-

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DataPath</key>
<string>YOUR_GURU_DATA_PATH</string>
<key>LicenseKey</key>
<string>YOUR_GURU_SERIAL_NUMBER</string>
</dict>
</plist>

5:- Replace the text YOUR_GURU_DATA_PATH with the path to your Guru data (e.g. /Library/GuruData, or /Volumes/Firewire/GuruData)

6:- Replace the text YOUR_GURU_SERIAL_NUMBER with your Guru serial number.
7:- In TextEdit, choose "Format > Make Plain Text"
8:- Save the file, overwriting the old com.FXpansion.Guru.plist
9:- start Guru, it will now find its serial number and work OK.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

dirtyharis

GURU v1.5.x installer ???

Postby dirtyharis » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:41 am

Hi,

Where can i find the GURU v1.5.x installer patch for leopard? have searched the site and cant find anything

borg64

Postby borg64 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:46 am

Log in to your user account under the Support -> Downloads tab and click on the GURU link. If you haven't registered you'll need to do this first (Support -> Register). The currently newest download version is 1.5.12, for "OS X 10.4 Tiger and above".

Good luck! :D

dirtyharis

guru v1.5.x installer ???

Postby dirtyharis » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:11 pm

I have registered, (Support -> Downloads tab and click on the GURU link.) guru - no downloads available this is the only product which shows this message

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:44 pm

Looks like you haven't registered your GURU serial number yet. Also try looking in Products > Guru > Downloads instead of Support > Downloads, although it should show up in both.

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

Z-Listers_Adam

Postby Z-Listers_Adam » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:28 am

Hi there,

Just to add some additional info to help others based on my experience over the last couple of days installing guru on a new MBP with clean leapard (10.5.4) install

After following the 1st step, guru still didn't pass AU validation in logic 8.0.2 .... but the 2nd step of editing & replacing the com.fxpansion.guru.plist did the trick in my case - A word of advice based on my own 'learn' though - when you edit & replace the com.fxpansion.guru.plist file mentioned in Angus's 2nd step above, make sure textedit doesn't add a .txt extension to the end of the file - I had 'hide extensions' activated so didn't realise it had done this until a few days of head scratching latter!!!

Thanks as ever to the support guys at FXpansion for a great service in helping resolve this (& even on a weekend!!!!!!!)

fratts

Hmm

Postby fratts » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:33 pm

Well none of this has helped, It instals ok, but i cant get the serial number to go away and I dont have multi output choice. Am i doing something wrong?

Been doing this since 1pm!!!!

borg64

Re: Hmm

Postby borg64 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:44 pm

fratts wrote:Well none of this has helped, It instals ok, but i cant get the serial number to go away and I dont have multi output choice. Am i doing something wrong?

Been doing this since 1pm!!!!

Sorry for asking, but did you make sure the edited .plist file was NOT saved as a regular .txt file? De-check the 'Hide extension' box before saving just to make sure, like Adam suggests above.

basscakes

Guru only partially loads after following instructions

Postby basscakes » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:47 am

Hi

I followed all of the instructions above to a T. When I try to load Guru, it "loads", whereas before it had been asking me for my serial number. However, the actual main application window never appears. I just get a Guru menu and that's it. Frustrating.

-Steve

Angus_FX
Herder of Cats

Postby Angus_FX » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:55 pm

@ basscakes - very strange. what's your screen resolution, and what items do you get in the GURU menu?

Twitter | YouTube

Synth Squad | BFD Eco

basscakes

Guru only partially loads after following instructions

Postby basscakes » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:24 pm

I've attached a screen shot of what I get. I literally just get the OS X Guru menu, but no actual Guru window. Now here's the interesting bit: I am able to run Guru just fine inside of my Logic 7.1 host. I am running OS X 10.5.5 on an Intel MBP.
Attachments
Picture 5.png
Picture 5.png (277.65 KiB) Viewed 30308 times

fratts

Help!!

Postby fratts » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:13 am

Right, I cleaned out all Guru file, and FXpansion files and I searched for these files on the search and nothing come up, I cleaned the VST and components and plugin folder out as well.

Emptied the trash.

Rebooted and then run the disc installer again. But stil not option of mulit out. I followed the work around above to the letter.

Any idea?

Tonight I am doing a clean install of OSX and logic. But any help in the mean time would be good.

Thanks

Return to “GURU”