FXpansion Forum

Big roomy drums help

Product Support for BFD3

Moderator: Moderators

Paulwinterbourne

Big roomy drums help

Postby Paulwinterbourne » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:50 pm

Hi,

I have BFD 3 and I have been trying to get to grips with it over the last few months, dipping in and out. I have been trying to get a big roomy drum sound but I have been struggling with how to do this.

In order to achieve it, I have sent the snare and high hat to the over heads and room mic but it sounds too small. So I then turn up the distance but anything over around 7 or 8 meters and I get a horrible slap back effect. I must be doing something wrong, the sound is there but there is a delay. I know from the maual that the distance leves do work as a kind of delay but it seems massive.

How can I get a big room sound without the slapback delay affect that is occurring when I use the distance mics? is there another method that I should be using?

thanks for any help and suggestions!

Paul

Drew_BFDTeam

Postby Drew_BFDTeam » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Try adding reverb to the room microphones. That's a common technique.

jord

Postby jord » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:14 am

Another technique is to create your own room using reverbs and sends from the kit pieces while taking out their transients either with a transient shaper (such as the envelope follower) or by fast compression using an 1176 style compressor (such as the Comp Chan).

jord
Real guitar heroes play real guitars

SKoT_FX
Promulgator of Beats

Postby SKoT_FX » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:59 am

Sanity check the ambient send levels from the Kit Pieces are set to a high level, and the ambient mics themselves are at a high level.

There are expansion packs out there that have larger room sounds - BFD1 (re-released as "Eldorado") had a very live room. A little bit of extra gain & compression on the room and far room /amb3 mics to bring up the decay tails can help too.

And then you can smash the tails down after a bit with a noise gate for that LA rock snare sound... heheh
SKoT McDonald
CTO FXpansion]

Return to “BFD3”